YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

how to convert a 6 lug axle to 5 lug

I bought a 91 five lug and want to put some gears and a locker in it but there doesnt seem to be much after market support and there's always a myriad of 6 lug 8" axles on c-list. I can't find wheel spacer adapters that go from 6-5 lug. Is there another way to convert? Will 5 lug 7" shafts slide into a 6 lug 8" housing and third?

Main reason is i have some really nice 5 lug rims and i want to keep them and i don't wanna mess with converting the front hub to six lug.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are some 8" 5 lug axle shafts that will fit an 8" axle that originally had 6 lug(I'm pretty sure that is). 7.5" 5 lug axle shafts won't. And there are no 7.5" axle shafts with 6 lugs.

The only other way would be to drill new holes(5 lug pattern) in some 8" 6 lug axle shafts and install 5 lugs(instead of 6). That might be trickier than it sounds. I don't know...never done it.

Anyhow, I can't recall off hand what the details are. But if you search for yourself, you should be able to find all the details. The info's here somewhere...ol' what's his name knows all about it(sorry guy, my memory's misfiring today for some reason). Maybe it'll come to me(or I'll get bored and look for it a bit myself).
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-17-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

cool thanks, i'm considering that or just putting in a rear axle from a ford exploder. stock from the factory has LS, 410's, disc's and spring under... Yeah that sounds pretty appetizing.

Last edited by 87xjmike; 04-17-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

spring under is something you're after?
Edit: second thought, that makes sense...

"Yotes Magoats!"
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon View Post
spring under is something you're after?
Edit: second thought, that makes sense...
Yes i have a prerunner yota built for baja type ˟˟˟˟. spring under minimizes axle wrap and i plan to keep it that way.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Found that thread by Magnusian(that's the guy's name...now I remember) about the 2WD spring under 8" axles with 5 lug axle shafts.
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/88-2wd-...ebuild-209324/
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-17-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
6lug, adapter, adapters, axel, axles, car, change, convert, convertion, hubs, lug, lugs, male, warn, wheel