General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

help me biy my first toyota!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me biy my first toyota!

K I finally am ready to buy my first Toyota! But I need a little help on choosing, I know I want 4x4, ext cab, manual t case and manual tranny, and that's about it
My biggest flip flop is should I go with an 89-95 pickup or a 95-04 tacoma, I will do decent off roading but no competitions, I like the 3.4 but I could swap that into the pickup, but I like the boxed frame, which I can add to the Tacoma for 100 bucks, but I don't like the Tacoma steering, nor I know how to fix that.. I cam get a good pickup for around 3k and a decent Tacoma for around 5k, some say I can put that extra 2k into the pickup and make it way better then the Tacoma, but I kinda like the look of the taco body,
So what would have better after market support and handle decent off roading better

Also I can an old 91 for about 1000 bucks with everything I want, but he says mechanic said it has low compression on 3 cylinders, does this sound like a head gasket? He said it still drives good enough to get back to my house 2 hours away, and I'm confident in my ability to replace it, would this be something worth gettin?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both Pickup and Tacoma are great trucks. Both have really good aftermarket support. Tacoma's have the option of a 3.4 which is great. Pickups have the option of 22re which are also great. If you want a project then I'd go with a 3.0 pickup that way you can do a 3.4 swap later down the road. Or if you want a all out nice trail truck then go with a 22re pickup.

I personally own a 87 and a 93 pickup. Both are 22r and re engines. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a taco. Always remember you can SAS either one. The taco will cost more to SAS tho.

What's your needs. DD, towing, trail riding, mudding, put all that together and choose wisely.

Check the truck out really good. Make sure the frame is good. Both pickups and tacoma's have frame rotting issues. Depending on location that is. Drive it. Have a mechanic check out the running gear if your unsure what to look and listen for.

Hope this helps
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Sorry for the bad grammer, I was at work and my boss was all over me, it'll be a DD, but something I also wanna take on the trails and defiantly mud, maybe some day Moab as I live in Utah. what's the running gear? And 91 was during the years they had head gasket problems right? So would the low compression be caused by that? I do t know if all the cylinder are on the same bank, but I would bet they are. I just dont wanna deal with bad rings. Is a head gasket sonething I could do in a day or two if I know my stuff? Or should I spend the 3 Grande and get a good running one which just had the timing belt done?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 PM

So you would say then the pickup is easier to SAS on then? Cuz eventually id like to do that to
Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
before you spend your money...... search
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...tickys-242840/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...s-read-139405/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...mation-121264/
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigred*
So you would say then the pickup is easier to SAS on then? Cuz eventually id like to do that to
Well not really easier... It's not as expensive. You can find a 79-85 front axle for $200.00-$500.00 that will fit a 86-95 pickup. Tacoma's transfer cases are opposite of the 79-95 pickups there for to retain the tacoma setup you would need a different axle. Then to tub that axle is gonna cost ya. Or buying a prefabed axle housing is costly as well.

3.0's are 3.slows. I've owned both 3.0's and 22 series engines. I've never blown a 3.0 up although I have several 4 bangers. I myself have never had a 3.0 HG issue either. My mom has a 95 pickup 3.0 with over 200,000.00 miles and yet to this day it's still running on the original head gaskets. Some say the 3.0 is junk but its treated me well the times I've owned them. And to be honest I'd like a 3.0 instead of 22re. There a little more powerful then my 4banger ya know. Although working on 3.0's can be a huge pain in the ass. There's not much room to do some maintenance things.

Low compression could be a head gasket. But it could very well be other things. Much serious things. Replacing the head gaskets on a 3.0 can be done is a day or so if you have the proper skills and knowledge. If you don't know much and try to do it using a Haynes Manuel then it may to you much longer.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM

With a Tacoma you have the option of the E-Locker which will come in handy in the MOAB, but then again wheeling a newer truck always gets under my skin.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Do some more research!!!

Figure out just what you like about each

what you really want the truck for.

I have both for long highway trips loaded with 1000 pounds or so the Tacoma is better.

For the short commute to work I like the older 22rec powered 87

both 5 speeds

Think and start looking