General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

End of a love affair.......

Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End of a love affair.......

I just blew the head gasket on the 22RE in my 87 pickup.......... SECOND TIME IN A YEAR!!!!!! I even rechecked the head bolt torque after 200 miles AND used new head bolts!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anybody interested in pieces/parts when I dismantle it???????? check out my profile to see the mods I've made............

I'm gonna miss this truck.........WWWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!1
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You are experiencing post traumatic head gasket disorder. In a few days, you will come to your senses and rebuild again.

Did you get the head checked?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
You are experiencing post traumatic head gasket disorder. In a few days, you will come to your senses and rebuild again.

Did you get the head checked?
^^He's right,
You have all the symptom's of PTHGD, however there is a treatment for this.
The remedy: Stand next to a Jeep for 2 minutes and click your heels. You will feel the Toyota energy again building up in your body. There are no side effects. Do this, it works! Good Luck.

We will be waiting for you to post up again when you fix your rig.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by worshipmentor
I just blew the head gasket on the 22RE in my 87 pickup.......... SECOND TIME IN A YEAR!!!!!! I even rechecked the head bolt torque after 200 miles AND used new head bolts!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anybody interested in pieces/parts when I dismantle it???????? check out my profile to see the mods I've made............

no

Originally Posted by HighLux
yes

Originally Posted by ksti
^^He's right,
You have all the symptom's of PTHGD, however there is a treatment for this.
The remedy: Stand next to a Jeep for 2 minutes and click your heels. You will feel the Toyota energy again building up in your body. There are no side effects. Do this, it works! Good Luck.

We will be waiting for you to post up again when you fix your rig.
yes yes yes

PTHGD....I like that.

gotta be a reason for this. was the head bad? was the head checked?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol this is like a support group
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sort of is
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by worshipmentor

Did you use an OEM head gasket? I would assume so after it blew the first time, but you did not specifically state that.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM

how bout this, send me pics of the whole truck.... i want back in the toyota scene.....
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
He may have PTHGD.... But I'm not sure if he's a true sufferer of the condition that I personally developed over the last few years with WAY more PITA and frustrating struggles than a lil HG Dilemma.... You know, "Toyotaticulitus".... It's VERY much permanent..... Thus, why I'm not so sure he's truly an official addict and sufferer of this condition.

I second the notion of 'stand near a Jeep'... but would add..... 'Stand next to a jeep broken down on the next trail you TAKE YOUR TOYOTA OUT ON... Then walk right up to him and ask, "Need some help? What is it... Sucked a Valve or the notorious Axle Snappage???.... Here's my member ID on Yotatech.com.... Come on over... I've just developed 'Toyotaticulitus'..... I have many buddies whom had Jeeps..... Yet now suffer from the same GLORIOUS disease.... YOU TOO can have it.... All it takes? A 22RE with a Blown HG.... Then recover from PTHGD and CONQUER IT.... and you'll have it too!!!! "....

C'MONNNNNNNNNNN! 4 hours, good music, a 'PLAN' on paper.... Make sure the dowel pins aren't protruding.... Make sure the head it TRULY TRUE... and then, well, since you're ready to give up.... Try a Permatorque-Felpro HG from Autozone for 26$! 8K on mine, not a drop, not a SINGLE OUNCE of coolant used or lost... Does 95MPH and ... All this? After my second rebuild, when I'd installed an OEM HG.... and it BLEW, IN 5 MINUTES! .... NEVER figured out what happened, to be honest... But cleaned it all up, rechecked the dowels since I'd had em out to shave the new to me block... Switched them front to back/vice versa, as I thought I might have mixed them up... Slapped it back on the next day and VAVROOOOOOOOOOOM, ... she rolls, still

Look at it this way... plain and simple.... What are you buying..... a BRAND NEW 2013 4RUNNER V8, instead? Not likely, right? So, .... if not, what will you have that YOU'LL KNOW THAT YOU'LL KNOW that you wont have possibly even WORSE issues, right?

WMentor.... KILL IT, MAN! I hear ya... it's the second one, and you're thinking 'WTFREAKINHECK???'... or something like that, lol... But there are only a few things, if everything is machined, that can cause this...

1. Is it a new to you Timing cover? (they are NOT always perfect... ask me how I know? I had to shave mine down after machining my new to me block)...

2. IF it's had the deck shaved... and it's the OEM original timing cover.... Did you shave it with the timing cover ON???

3. IF you had it decked... the dowels were obviously out.... Did you mark them and put them in EXACTLY the same? NO, it's not likely to be a problem, unless you forced them in SIDEWAYS, haha....BEcause the head recess is pretty deep... BUT, had I not switched them around after the first HG blew right away.... Maybe it WOULD have blown another one, ya know? I just couldn't afford another several hous(couple days spare time) to be down, feel me? Otherwise, I would have just slapped in the Permatorque-Felpro and seen what happened.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 PM

Agreed, no other vehicle can do what our trucks do! You gotta fix it man its not worth giving up on her yet! Think of it as a dear friend that got sick, got better than got sick again! You can't give up on it!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 AM

Somebody else already asked, but it bears repeating, did you get the head checked out? Do it again, and check the top of the block too.

If you part it, I call dibs on the Supra AFM. I have cash in hand, let me know.