General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Early trucks=easy steal......

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Early trucks=easy steal......

The early trucks are known to have lock /key issues that lend to making them easy to steal. Those of you that know, I'm not going to make this a how to steal a Toyota thread.

Question...If the locks are changed to new (oem) on both the doors and ign, does that fix the "easy steal" part of the problem? In other words, does the worn tumblers contribute to the problem, and will new tumblers fix the problem? Or is this a poor lock design issue?

$150 or so for all new locks (85 SR5)
Old 06-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you know at what year there's a cutoff to the issue? or is it wear-related, so the older they are, the more susceptible they are?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:19 PM

If a thief wants to get your truck badly enough, changing out the ignition and door locks isn't going to do a thing. Use a club, secret fuel pump switch, carry the distributer around with you (the last one might be a little extreme...) Most of the time they will remove the entire ignition lock, basically turning any flathead screwdriver into a key. Door locks are a great idea too, until they smash your window. I might sound a little bitter, but having experienced a near stealing of a vehicle in the past (go secret fuel pump switch), i think that I'm entitled to it...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah,
2 weeks ago some punks broke into the kid's 85. Screwdrivered the door lock (didn't get in), pulled out the window seal to try and open the door (failed), finally broke the rear slider latch. Stole the CD deck, and his NEW fishing pole. The club was installed, so the truck was still there (if they could ever figure it out anyway)

Last edited by Yoda; 06-22-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:19 PM

iirc the issue was not directly with the tumblers themselves, but access past the handle. a pencil could be used to unlock it.

theives deserve
Old 06-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if i had to park some where i dont like to i would pull the efi fuse and take off the distributer rotor
Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 PM

The club is a waste of time. I'm speaking from personal expierience. Take your faceplate with you, don't leave anything in there the thieves might suspect might have some value (keep it clean too), and spend some money on a good reputable aftermarket immobilizer.

And yes those early toyota trucks & runners are notorious for being easy to use a screwdriver key on but as was said if there is anything of value in there it won't matter what you have.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

i would buy a grant steering wheel and buy the quick release steering wheel kit so you can take the steering wheel with you

Last edited by Elton; 06-22-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoda
Yeah,
2 weeks ago some punks broke into the kid's 85. Screwdrivered the door lock (didn't get in), pulled out the window seal to try and open the door (failed), finally broke the rear slider latch. Stole the CD deck, and his NEW fishing pole. The club was installed, so the truck was still there (if they could ever figure it out anyway)
sounds like the kids that tried busting into my '79 a couple years ago. must've been dumber than your average toyota thief, they tried to screwdriver the passenger lock, then tried prying the part of the door next to the window.

they gave up, and settled for busting my antenna off. if i had caught them, they would've gotten a ride to the hospital on stretchers, i would've gotten a ride in a cop car.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

a 18v dewalt sawzall makes it easy to cut the steering wheel and remove the club
Old 06-22-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
a 18v dewalt sawzall makes it easy to cut the steering wheel and remove the club
Sure, tip off anyone who doesn't know.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

lol i watch a show on tv about this http://www.unbreakable.com/Unbreakable_Auto_BL.htm and they should the club dont work
Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 PM

Normal kill switches are phony false security because they only take 40 seconds to locate. I have timed finding them.

A single hidden 'magnetic' switch behind a panel would bump detection up to several minutes. But still locatable.

A secure kill switch is possible but requires moderate sophisticated electronic design. It requires dual hidden trigger switches thus requiring dismantling of every panel and console, effectively the inside cabin would have to be gutted for the engine to start. That's beyond the scope of even a good electrician.

But regular kill switches are false security. Sorry, better than nada but too quick to locate. Pull the engine plug wire instead, a hassle yes but better. I pulled my wire on my previous truck for nearly 18 years. Never got ripped off.

Last edited by B_Sharp; 06-22-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 AM

I had my 85 4runner stolen last month; luckliy it was recovered with out too much damage. Since then I've taken to taking the coil lead off the distributor at night. It's definitely not foolproof but I figure it might slow a joyrider down long enough so that they'll move on. I'm planning to install a hidden kill switch and or fuel pump switch soon.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good insurance is a high quality alarm with battery backup, engine kill, and a pager.

I can not stress the pager enough.
Where I live I must sleep with earplugs at night, especialy now that the pools are open here and kids are screaming and splashing in the pools.

I would never hear my alarm if it went off, and I can not depend on neighbors to do anything.
The pager sits on my headboard, and it is loud enough to wake me from a dead sleep.

Not that it has ever done so, but when the low battery indicator comes on in it, it beeps, wakes me up to change its battery.

We had a rash of break-ins last Saturday and Sunday night here.
A Ford Explorer parked two stalls from me had its rear side window smashed out, and they got the loot.
Mine was passed over on account of the blinking LED on my dash, and a paper that sits on my seat.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:32 PM

a blinking LED is a great deterrent!

and now i have the 'paper' too
Old 06-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

i would have it set up to where it sprays peper spray in your face make a theift think twice about stealing your car again

Last edited by Elton; 06-23-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by B_Sharp
Normal kill switches are phony false security because they only take 40 seconds to locate. I have timed finding them.

A single hidden 'magnetic' switch behind a panel would bump detection up to several minutes. But still locatable.

A secure kill switch is possible but requires moderate sophisticated electronic design. It requires dual hidden trigger switches thus requiring dismantling of every panel and console, effectively the inside cabin would have to be gutted for the engine to start. That's beyond the scope of even a good electrician.

But regular kill switches are false security. Sorry, better than nada but too quick to locate. Pull the engine plug wire instead, a hassle yes but better. I pulled my wire on my previous truck for nearly 18 years. Never got ripped off.

It's true that given enough time thieves will find your switch, but I listen for the starter. I figure they don't know there is a kill switch so they will turn the key and when the truck doesn’t start everybody will look at them.... Or my truck has the most secure system. That is 4 out of every 10 times I turn the key I get a click and no hope of a start, so who knows. Maybe I’ll get lucky and it won't start.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:04 PM

There are so many way to look at this. I'll try to keep it short.

If someone wants your vehicle bad enough they will get it no matter how much security you have on it. The best thing to do is carry insuracne in case it's stolen or broke into.

That being said....

I used to have an 85 pickup, it was stolen. they used a screwdriver to get into the drivers door, they poped out the ignition and started it with a large screwdriver and drove off.

A secret fuel cut off is a good idea but how much damage are they going to do before they realize the vehicle won't start? Think about it. lets say they break the window to get in, then they yank out the ignition. Maybe the vehicle will start, maybe not. But think how ticked off the thief is going to be when he realizes he can't get the vehicle as easy as he thought. He may just damage whatever he can to make a point. Slash the seats, dash, tires, carpet, headliner, break the glass, bash in the speedo, guages and stereo. Maybe even take a hammer or other tool to the exterior and body.

Usually when a vehicle is stolen, insurance will total it. If you have receipts of all the extras and custom work that you have done, they will consider this and not just take blue book value. Especially if you let the insurance know up front that you have a lot of custom work done.

They did a thing on TV about the "club", they can be removed by a thief faster than they can be put on. But I guess maybe just seeing one would hopefully detour a thief. But just rememer, nothing is going to work 100%. If they want it bad enough, they will get it. Professionals could just pull it up on a flatbed in a matter of seconds, drive off to the chop shot dismantle it is under 2 hours.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankjake
Professionals could just pull it up on a flatbed in a matter of seconds, drive off to the chop shot dismantle it is under 2 hours.
what kind of messed up "professional" would go after my 88 4runner? He would waste more time and gas getting that thing that it would be worth to him. On a side note if you keep a large dog in your truck you should have very little problems not only will thieves not want to get in, but you have a proximity alarm

Another great one is always keep only 1 or 2 miles of gas left in the tank so you have to go strait to the gas station every morning, then you figure the truck is likely ditched about 1/2 mile down the freeway.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 06-23-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Early trucks=easy steal......