General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Drove my first SC 5vze today

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove my first SC 5vze today

Ever since installing the 3.4 into my rig I have dreamed of finding a good deal on a TRD SC for it... Flash forward to today - I was out with a buddy looking at Tacomas for him. One we test drove today was a '99 with a first Gen SC installed, looked like no fuel mods. I gotta say I am not so impressed. I guess I thought it would make a bigger "seat of the pants" difference. Don't get me wrong it was definitely faster than my NA truck but did not feel like it had 75hp more. I think I might not want one so bad anymore.... Now an E-locker is a different subject!

PS - They sure make a lot of noise and not that cool woooosh noise turbo's make....
Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive only rode in one SC'ed truck, and like you, I was a little dissapointed. Not as fast as I would have thought.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
id like to get a s/c cause they sound cool
Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Yet another reason NOT to buy a SC'r and install it without fuel/timing mods. Take a ride in a tuned SC'd rig sometime and let us know what you think.

It's a night and day difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:46 PM

On the first gen SC's there can be leakages causing low boost. If considering buying a 3.4 1st Gen SC'd, check for leaks on the back side of the SC on the recirculator tube. Put your fingers tight on the tube junction and pull a little throttle (while running). You'll feel or hear air leaking. If you wet this area with several drops of water at idle, they'll get sucked into the SC. I have a used 99 3.4 SC'd with the first Gen and this was a problem for me.

Also, mine had the metal TB gasket, which is wrong and custs boost by 0.5psi... easy to see if you look at the TB. And, mine had the OEM spark plugs which pulls timing... which are too hot and gapped wrong. After sealing up the leaks, changing the gasket and plugs, it runs much stronger (2x IMO) now than when I bought it used. All these can be checked on a test drive and all are common mistakes.

I called TRD about my low power and they walked me through everything. They said it's very common to mis the spark plugs and gasket during install (and wrong thermostat)... even for dealership installs.

To add, it can throw a CEL when it leaks because of rich/lean conditions due to lost air after MAF metering.

Someone selling a vehicle with such leaks may reset the CEL before a potential buyer test drives the vehicle. I suspect this happened to me. You may be able to test this theory by warming up the engine and then restarting it after a few miles (restart at least three times after a couple miles).

I don't know if this is any help or just a rambling post.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Yet another reason NOT to buy a SC'r and install it without fuel/timing mods. Take a ride in a tuned SC'd rig sometime and let us know what you think.

It's a night and day difference.
x2 the URD 7th injector kit larger injectors and piggyback will change your mind my 2nd gen s/c has 315hp to the back tires
Old 01-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Putting a s/c alone on a 4runner is like putting a rear spoiler on a Honda Civic. You need the complete package; fuel, exhaust, transmission, etc to bring out the beast.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 AM

Anyone have dyno numbers for a SC engine before and after fuel mods? Just curious what the differnece is.

olharleyman- 315 at the wheels! holy crap that must fly! Is that just fuel mods with stock boost ?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You must has some serious mods to get over 300rwhp from a 5vze...
Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
x2 the URD 7th injector kit larger injectors and piggyback will change your mind my 2nd gen s/c has 315hp to the back tires
That would be 315 ihp (internet horsepower). The dyno must have been broken that day.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
never mind the expencive upgrades ..

bolting on a TRD supercharger ---- HP to $$ ratio .. there is NO better mod .

but .. with the upgrades .. you can expect 300HP .

Last edited by slacker; 01-11-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try Alpi's for the E-Locker, surprisingly, they have decent prices. I was quoted $4-600, without the locker computer I think.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM

300hp sure would be nice!

The one I drove deffinitely did not have that. I gotta say I still want one....

Matt - last time I was at Alpi's I was quoted $750 I guess the moon was farther across the horizon that day!

I gotta say the stock 5VZE gets up and go's pretty good. I'm thinking more "traction" these days....
Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hophead
Anyone have dyno numbers for a SC engine before and after fuel mods? Just curious what the differnece is.

olharleyman- 315 at the wheels! holy crap that must fly! Is that just fuel mods with stock boost ?

Here's a couple of the upgrades that where done along with the 2nd gen supercharger just so you what has been done to get the hp out of this motor I will try to find the dyno report to show the 315 hp @ 14 lbs boost just need to get hold of the guy I got it all from. Now it may be a bit different in a heavier 4runner then it was in the old taco it was in but I am sure it's not much if any difference

Performance Upgrade Kit for the Toyota 3.4 V6 equipped with the TRD Supercharger:

Increase Torque
Increase Horsepower
Eliminate High RPM Lean Out
Eliminate High Gear / Low RPM Ping
The supercharger performance upgrade kit from Underdog Racing Development is based on years of testing and components that are well proven and at the best value in the industry.

TRD did a wonderful job in developing their supercharger for the 3.4 V6, but there are two areas that have been left for us to improve on, high RPM lean out, and boost induced High Gear/Low RPM-Ping. Our kit cures both issues on TRD Supercharger vehicles including all 3.4 engines from 1995 to 2004. However, we reccomend URD's 7th injector kit on vehicles 1999 & newer.

The components contained in our complete kit are:

Six new 318cc Bosch fuel injectors modified to fit the 3.4 fuel rail and intake manifold
Six wire harness adapter plugs
Six 2 steps cooler performance spark plugs
Walbro 190 LPH pump
URD Performance Calibration Unit with or without ESC depending on year (preloaded with vehicle specific start-up program)
Restrictor T fitting and nylon vacuum line for connecting the URD PCU to the supercharger
Tuning software
Vehicle specific installation guide
Shrink tubing
URD vynal decal
There are two slightly different kits. The difference is the model of the URD Performance Calibration Unit. For 95-98 trucks we recommend the URD PCU with the built in O2 sensor signal conditioner to prevent the stock Engine Control Unit to stop trimming fuel under boost. This gives you full control over the fuel mixture and eliminates the low boost power surging. The 99+ kits do not have the O2 signal conditioner built in. Starting in approximately 1999, Toyota started using a newer type of sensor called an air/fuel ratio sensor and the O2 sensor signal conditioner is not compatible with it. Please email URD to inquire about what the best selection of components are for your vehicle. We can custom taylor a solution to meet your performance goal.

Many of our customers use their trucks with the TRD Supercharger for off road desert racing. We were asked by them to come up with a solution for the chronic problem of the supercharger belts breaking in this racing venue.

URD investigated this problem and what we discovered why the belts where breaking at an alarming rate. What is happening is that when the rear tires leave the dirt at full throttle they spin up rapidly and so does the engine, then when the tires make contact again the suddenly slow down.

When the tires are in the air the supercharger is sped up to a very high RPM, much faster than the engine's speed. The supercharger rotors have a lot of mass and store energy like a flywheel. When the engine suddenly slows down the supercharger is still spinning very fast. This pulls the slack side of the supercharger belt tight and pulls the spring loaded tensioner out to its full extension. The next thing that happens is that the engine speeds up again and speeds up the supercharger and the spring loaded tensioner cannot react fast enough to keep tension on the slack side of the supercharger belt. This allows the belt to lose contact with the tensioner pulley and the belt rolls off the side of the pulley and gets trapped between the pulley and the tensioner arm and locks the belt. Engine torque now snaps the belt and boost as well as the race is lost.

The key to fixing this problem was to keep the belt from rolling off the side of the tensioner pulley. The simple fix was to develop a pulley with tall ears on it to prevent the belt from rolling off the side it and getting locked.

The URD Tensioner pulley for the TRD 5VZ-FE Supercharger system has tall ears on each side to keep the belt on the pulley in racing conditions. The URD pulley solves the chronic belt breakage problem in off road racing.

You do not have to be an off road racer to install this upgraded pulley. Most off our customers that install them don't even drive their trucks off road.

The pulley is finished in URD red anodizing to match the other SuperGrip performance pulleys that are available and looks very nice under your hood.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Hey brandonhedberg, how did you fix the air leak at the recirculator?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by pazacc
Hey brandonhedberg, how did you fix the air leak at the recirculator?
you could try emailing the member, he hasn't been on yotatech for over 6 months....