YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

SuprDriftMaster
CV Joint Question (1986 Toyota 4Runner)

So my cv boots were torn but there wasnt any clicking so i thought it would be safe to drive to my grandmas for christmas (60miles away).
about 1/8 mile away from her driveway there was alot of shaking when i pulled up to her house i looked at the cv joints and the boots were completely gone and there were two ball bearings sitting on the ground. is it driveable to get home is my question. I took it back down the road and got it up to 65mph and it seemed fine but i need to know if I will be able to drive it all the way home.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
BuckShot74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

JZA80-GTE
If you have manual locking hubs: set them to free and you should be fine.
If its the auto locking ones: i really dont know what to tell you, but if your in 2wd i guess it is fine also.
Merry Christmas!
1987 4WD Pickup|Xtra-Cab|1.5" BL|Rebuilt 22r|W56B|V6 4:88s|307,xxx miles|LCE carb adapter|Edelbrock stainless air cleaner assembly|K&N 15" air filter|Sunpro 88mm supertach II|Hella 500|SR5 Bucket Seats|MC shifter seats & socket|Stull Grill|LCE Street Header|Magnaflow Cat|2.25" Exhaust|33x12.5 KM2s|15x8 Eagles
Build Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiroshu View Post
OK is the sound like this: "Tap tap tap" "Tick tick tick" "clack clack clack" "knock knock knock" "Ba ba ba ba" "Screech ta ta tap screech ta ta tap"........... Got oil?
streetlancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

SuprDriftMaster
Ok thank you! Thats kinda what I was thinking, I have auto hubs. My only other concern is will it be bad for my front diff or my hubs them selves if the cv joint is torn up.
BuckShot74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #4

Since you have auto hubs the cv shafts are always turning even in 2WD. If they are already in that bad of shape that the front end is shaking and the boots are tearing up on a 60 mile drive, I wouldn't drive it anymore until you fix it. If the shaft breaks on the highway the results might not be too good.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1986, 2011, 4runner, 86, ball, bearing, cv, dec, forum, joint, joints, runer, runner, sale, shaft, toyota