General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Changing Spark Plugs...

Old 11-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Spark Plugs...

I am doing my 90k service at 101k cause thats when my next oil change is...
So I plan on doing the following:
1) Change Oil & Oil Filter
2) Change Diff Oil Front and Rear To Synthetic
3) Lubericate Propeller Shaft & Retorque Bolts
4) Go Get Trans Flushed and Get Synthetic Trans Oil Put In
5) Change Plugs
6) Deck Plate Mod (cause by the time I drive around to get everything I need to do this matince and mod i will have reached 101K)

I am tired
My eyes are blood shot

After reviewing 13 pages on spark plug issues...
I never came across any write up on the actual process of changing the plugs...

I obviously know how to do everything else...
But Spark Plugs I am a virgin too..

I got the list of tools I need from my Haynes manual
And I know what plugs to get thanks to all of you and your Spark Plug Issues...
The Write-UP in the Haynes Manual is to confusing...
I want to do this right the first time so I would like to find a clear write-up...

I am hoping I can get the answer so I can do all this work Monday Afternoon...

So again...
I ask you all for your assistance...

Anyone know a good How-To Spark Plug Change Write-Up?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:16 PM

I have never seen a writeup on it... but if you can screw and unscrew your good... Thats all there is to them. Since they are recesed in a 3.4 you probally want to make sure you have a spark plug wrench with a rubber grommet to grab the plug.

Be sure to check the gap, but if they are OEM they should be gapped...

When you put them back in turn the extenstion by hand to veryify they are not crossthreaded... and put a little dielectric grease on the connection for the wire... Dont overtorque and strip your head or break the plug.. the haynes should say how much...

Hook it all back up, simple as that...
Old 11-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

I guess I am worried about getting around the coil packs...
Also how to get under the intake on teh passenger side...
I know you have to remove it, but after that is there enough room or do I have to remove more?
How easy/hard is it to remove the coil packs?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.4runners.org/articles/sparkplugs
Old 11-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by YotaFun
Also how to get under the intake on teh passenger side...
I know you have to remove it, but after that is there enough room or do I have to remove more?
A spark plug virgin?! Man I'd tell you where to put one

I'm probably more of a novice then you are when it comes to this but...doing the plugs yourself isn't difficult at all...if you're unsure just take it slow and you'll be OK. Removing the intake (just the tube portion is enough) is EASY and gives you plenty of space. You need a screwdriver and...in my case, some spit to coax the rubber ends off. On the passenger side there's a lot of room to work with, but make sure everything is clean so that no crap falls in. On the driver side...it's quite cramped but do-able. I didn't have the patience to reach the plug closest to the firewall so I left it for later
Old 11-25-2006, 09:54 PM

Bob has ya covered.

I was going to do a "tune-up" write up with pics and all that. I did these with clublexus.com example so when I get my truck back I am doing fuel filter, plugs/wires fluids, got the t-belt and water pump done.

D
Old 11-25-2006, 10:02 PM

its pretty basic, get yourself a pretty long extension, a spark plug socket so you have no worries, and a ratchet. my process is take one out, number it replace it, go on to the next. every plug is different but i tighten to exactly 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn after i feel the crush washer make contact. its not overtight but its snug.

def make sure u dont crossthread, cuz u will hate your life if u do! all in all tho its pretty easy
Old 11-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Y'all
Monday I will be doing my list above so...
Tell you how it turns out...
Thanks Again
Old 11-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Maj

After I break each plug loose I fire up the shop vac and suck out any debris. If using anti-seize, be careful to not got any on the part of the plug that is in the combustion chamber. Skip coating the first couple of threads on the plug on you will be alright.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Well Went Out Today And Got Almost Everything I Need...
All thats left if the plugs and engine oil...
I am postponing the work till friday since
1)I am father from 101k then I though
2)I need to wait for next pay check for plugs and oil (yeah I know I have no money.... But it's cause I own a Yota!!)
3)I have all afternoon to do it that day and frankly I am sick right now and would like to be in the right stated of mind when I do the work so...

But I have all teh stuff for the deck plate mod and really really want to do it...
But will wait till Firday since the Airbox will be out then for the spark plugs
(figure do the Deck plate mod and while the silicone is drying do the plugs...)

Thanks Again Y'all
Much Love Goes Out To You All From A Happy Runner In The Drive Way...
Old 11-26-2006, 03:16 PM

Good luck.... its not a hard task... should be fun
Old 11-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

I can't wait really...
::boucnes in seat::
I like doing my own work when it comes to my vehicle...
I am a wreck when I take it somewhere else...
First Time I took it for a complete fluid change I sat at the window and watched the guys like a hawk...
I was sweating more then they were, and they had the look of "he's crazy" on there faces...
I guess I just like to know how to do things myself...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

I've just started to learn my way around my truck and I have changed out a few things myself. The plugs aren't too hard. I'm going to go work on changing mine. I use bosch platinum 4 plugs, they come pre gapped. I also usually use basic wires and cap and rotor (Duralast I think I use Autozone due to its proximity to my house). Its not too hard to remove em. I have 3.0 and the hardest one to get was the one at the rear of the engine and from what I was told it was because of the evap canister is in the way.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Bosch, really? and your yota hasn't spit them out yet? As I stated in a thread somewhere, although I cant dig up a link, these things (Yota's) Love OEM plugs and wires. I dont mean love like the way you love your mom, or apple pie, I mean the way that addicts love thier smack and Michael Jackson loves little boys... Denso or NGK plugs and wires is the way to go.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Bosch, really? and your yota hasn't spit them out yet? As I stated in a thread somewhere, although I cant dig up a link, these things (Yota's) Love OEM plugs and wires. I dont mean love like the way you love your mom, or apple pie, I mean the way that addicts love thier smack and Michael Jackson loves little boys... Denso or NGK plugs and wires is the way to go.

Well I got my plugs from the dealer...
I think I got cheated, but frankly I don't care...
I just wanted OEM parts and I found another Stealership I haven't been to...
And they like me...
They Really Like Me...
Old 11-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Follow your manual and get the Dielectric grease for the boot and ceramic part of the plug and the anti-seize for the next change that you perform. The two Permatex packets are on the counter at the local parts store. I changed my plugs, plug wires oil & filter, and greased my zirks in the dark a week ago. I used a shoplight that plugs up to the battery and my creeper. It was below freezing out, too here in Colorado Springs. If you enjoy working on your rig, there's nothing to worry about. One thing pointed out in my Chilton's manual was to get a length of rubber hose to thread in the new sparkplug. The hose is supposed to slip if the plug cross threads. I just wound up turning the extension with the plug socket by hand. Keep it straight, remember how it comes out and go slow putting the new one in. Don't forget anti-seize ($0.99) on the threads, just a dab and not too close to the spark end, right at the middle a small bead around it. Also put the dielectric grease (also $0.99) on the ceramic part then shove it into your plug socket and get-r-done.

I changed my rear diff oil and put heavy duty 80-90 in it. More important than running synthetic is that it's not watered down. You may want to find a diff breather write up and put some hoses to those breathers. If you get into high water and you have to drain and replace your synthetic, it may get expensive. My rear diff oil was the most disgusting automotive fluid that I have ever witnessed, and it was way too low. I just got my truck a few months ago. I couldn't change the front fluid because the check plug was stuck, most likely since 1994 in Tokyo. It took $50 extra bucks to switch when I had the clutch replaced by the shop.

Bottom Line ______Plugs are easy. I used Bostch Platinum 4 prong plugs that didn't have to be gapped, what a time saver. And the wires that I used were Checker Borg Warner Select Nascar wires. These two minor improvements are definitely felt in my throttle response. I have more power now than before. Enjoy working on your Yota and take your time, don't get into a hurry.

P.S. Nice deckplate writeup! And, last week I wish that I had put 5W40 in instead of 10W, because we're expecting snow tomorrow. My 94's probably different on oil weight, but since you're in PA make sure that you're protected for below zero temps, I wish now that I had have went with the 5W.

Last edited by BigWavePaul; 11-28-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 AM

I bought my 91' pickup a couple of months ago and recently changed the sparkplugs and lo and behold i found the dumb asses that had last changed the sparkplugs cross threaded one of the...sooo i called up one of my friends who is a who know alot of this sorta stuff and we finally got the spark plug out, and then we had to try to re-thread the hole...anywase it was an ass and we didn't get the spark plug in all the way...but it feels like it runs fine do...will that effect anything?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

::UPDATE::

I DID IT!!!!

w00t!!!!

She pures like a kitten....

Or with the deck plate mod...
She Growls Like A Monster!!!

Thanks for all your help & tips...

Another thing to add to the list of things I know how-to-do...

Took about an hour cause i was takin my time and that dang plug on the drivers side in the back is a ^$$ to get to...

But she runs fine!!!

Thanks Y'all agian!!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Congrats... popped the plug cherry
Old 12-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Congrats... popped the plug cherry

Yeah!

Search this Thread