General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

Anyone use 3M clear paint protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use 3M clear paint protection film?

I have the bra on the front of my hood, and it looks and works well. I am thinking about covering more of the truck with it to protect the paint from brush - I seem to find miyself on severely overgrown roads a lot and the paint takes a beating.

Just wondering if anyone uses it on their entire vehicle, or is that just a rediculous idea?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 AM

I'm curious about this as well! Could you post some pics of what you currently have going on with your hood
Old 10-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Are you talking about a spray or the actual clear film? I have put the 3M clear film on my 4runners rear fenders when I took off my running boards and put on sliders to stop the rick chips. It holds up pretty good. Im in Van as well , so if you ever wanted to see it, though it is just a clear piece of thin tape pretty much.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Are you talking about a spray or the actual clear film? I have put the 3M clear film on my 4runners rear fenders when I took off my running boards and put on sliders to stop the rick chips. It holds up pretty good. Im in Van as well , so if you ever wanted to see it, though it is just a clear piece of thin tape pretty much.

Ya, it is the clear film I am talking about. It came on the truck, I guess the previous owner put it on. I am just assuming it is the 3M stuff because that is what it looks like, and I don't know of anything similar out there. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Did you put it on yourself, or have a technician do it?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen someone on Youtube video tape their FJC getting it put on. check there for the vid. I cant remember what category it was in though.

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 10-08-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM

OK, ya I just went to a place in my old city (just moved) and they cut some custom "dog-legs" for my fenders and put it on. But I watched them put it on and it is like putting on tint pretty much, except for the curves. You wouldnt have much problem with some patience and some initial practice.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM

It doesn't show up in the pics. You really need to be up close to see it, it is barely visible.

Here are some pics from a local place that install it:

http://www.downtownautospa.com/ppfpics.htm
Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have done a few Harley's with it and it works well.
That said the real problem is after it has been on for a while if it gets the smallest cut , bump or air under it things can and will get real ugly real fast.

The sticky is like a magnet for pebbles and fine sand , road grim , road oil , dirt and will start working the paint and clear coat and this is on a street only vehicle.

Given that you are more likely to go off road thinking you have an extra layer of protection because of the film you can really do a lot of damage to the paint and clear coat so if you do decide to use the film don't think it makes your paint invincible , I can think of aleast 3 paint jobs on Harley's that have been color blended and the film removed do to the oils and road grime getting under the film.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:56 AM

I have it under my door handles, it works great. You can only tell that it is on when you look closely.

My parents have it on the front end of their Pilot and it seems to be working great aswell.