YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

4Runner Shakes at Freeway Speeds

Good day. My 2000 4Runner shakes on the freeway once I hit 60-70 miles per hour. The shaking is not present before 60. I've bought new tires, new brakes, rotors, had the wheels (after-market) balanced, lubed drive line, and checked U-Joints (Look OK). I even had a friend swap out his balanced wheels (Factory) with mine with no luck. What do you think? Any help is appreciated! Thank you.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Check you wheel bearings, front and rear. When they go bad thay can cause a shake or vibration. I replaced the rear wheel bearings in my 86 4Runner and they were so bad that i could wiggle them a 1/4'' in any direction.

Solid Axle Swap, 5'' lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR`s, Trail Gear High Steer, 5 speed manual swap, InchWorm Duel Cases, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5'' Trail Gear Springs In Front, 27 Spline Chromoly Axles In Front, 4.88 Gears, Detroit Locker In The Rear, High Pinion Front With An ARB, Downey Header, AFM Upgrade, 95 Amp Alternator, Trail Gear Sliders, Addicted Offroad Front Bumper.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

x2 on wheel bearings and one time a buddy had a cracked frame that liked to wobble good luck
Old 09-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

i have the same problem with my 2000 4R
Old 09-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonRage View Post
Good day. My 2000 4Runner shakes on the freeway once I hit 60-70 miles per hour. The shaking is not present before 60. I've bought new tires, new brakes, rotors, had the wheels (after-market) balanced, lubed drive line, and checked U-Joints (Look OK). I even had a friend swap out his balanced wheels (Factory) with mine with no luck. What do you think? Any help is appreciated! Thank you.
Have the same problem on my 99 4runner. Check the steering rack bushings by having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the rack to see if it moves AT ALL. Thats what was wrong on mine. Wheelers offroad have new poly bushings set for only $16.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Smile Still shaking...

Well....after another problem was fixed with my 4Runner (4x4 stuck), we looked at the tires/wheels again. I finally bought some OEM wheels, but that didn't fix the problem completely...One dealership did see that my new front rotors were warped, so I took them back to Good Year and they replaced them. Still boggled by this issue.

Last edited by LemonRage; 01-25-2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go take it to the toyota dealer and have them realign the front end it should work.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Smile Still shakes

Well, I did have an alignment done, but the car still shakes...The Toyota dealership said that they couldn't duplicate the problem. However, right when I drove it home it started to shake around 70 MPH...Any insights? Thanks y'all.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
ET

pittman arms/ idler arms loose maybe?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonRage View Post
How were the wheels/tires balanced?
- http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibration.htm
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to badattitude
The tires are best balanced by "hub" balancers. A "lug" balancer dosen't work well.

Also, I belive replacing the steering rack bushings will help. My 4R steering wheel shakes at 60mph and I think mine is due to the steering rach bushings. However, mine isn't that bad so I don't have immediate plans to replace them.
front discos
Truetrac
Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHall11 View Post
Go take it to the toyota dealer and have them realign the front end it should work.
An alignment won't fix a shake or vibration. Replacing worn parts or out of round tires or wheels will. So will a proper balance job if the tires are true and round.
Did it take a lot of weight to balance the tires? No big patches or fix-a-flat in your tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Do I like what I have-Yes.
Does it sound good-Yes.
Does it intimidate Ricers-Oh yeah.
Does it perform-Yes.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

OP - did you check the wheel bearings? Was suggested twice on the thread but didn't see you say you'd done it yet?

CLICK HERE!!
87 4Runner 22RE OEM Parts for sale CHEAP (!) - SF Bay Area
CLICK HERE!!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

i have the same problem on my 97 4runner after putting on some sequioa rims with new tires. i doubt putting on my stocks would change anything too. subscribing to this thread. please let us know if you find the solution.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
kev

my IDLER ARM makes my yota shake at about 60. When I got the truck, dude had the ifs torsion cranked up so high it'd wear the front tires on the inner edge. When I brought the ifs torsion down the truck stopped eating up tires. Then I could clearly see the consequences that cranking the torsion bars up has on the IDLER ARM. A new arm is under 60$ at snotozone. CHECK YOUR IDLER ARM!!!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Sounds to me like front bearings, not hard to check it out.

The cheapest fix would be don't drive over 60 mph...

Never ending project = FUN.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Have a 99 yota limited and need some advice. Have no vibrations until around 60 to 63 mph. Had tires balanced but no luck. When I let off gas it goes away but comes back when I hit the gas. Sounds and feels like its in motor area. Not huge concern but I don't want it to turn into one. Not a rough vibration as if thetires were unbalanced. JJust need some advice
Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
CJM

Need to be balanced on a hunter road force balancer with the special adapter for toyota wheels. Otherwise your never gonna get it to go away.

Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
33tires, 4runner, 55, 65, 86, freeway, high, hour, miles, shakes, speed, speeds, steering, truck, vibration, wheel