General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

22REC Desmog?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22REC Desmog?

Picking up and 85 runner with the 22REC tomorrow. Gotta rebuild the engine, but noticed the REC plate under the hood and was afraid it mean California emissions. I have been able to find some writeups on the RE but not so much the REC. Is it the same principles with just way more stuff to pull off or is there alot more too it? Even the diagram of the 22REC was ugly as sin.... Gotta get rid of it! Any pointers on this would help. Thanks
Old 01-03-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Do some research first and foremost on desmoging your rig. It won't net you any power or mileage on average. If you delete the EGR you may trip codes. There are tons or write ups but ultimately you need to figure out how much stuff you want to take off. Do you have emissions and or visual inspections? If so you will fail. Not an evomentalist here but I have designed some and now just clean them and leave them alone. It seems easier in the long run.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I tried to desmog once and it was just a big headache. I am not an enviromentalist but I think in some ways the EGR is what has helped these motors last longer by actually making the motor run cooler by inducing hot gases into the combustion chamber which actually cools the burn of the explosion. Just my opinion.

I have worked on some California trucks and an 85 really doesnt have much as far as emissions as a normal truck. The newer models did have extra emissions. If it were me, I would just give the Intake and EGR a good cleaning and put it back to how Toyota had it or you will just keep dealing with codes from my experience.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Been there, done that, and just un-did it. It's all there for a reason and works better when working correctly than when it's removed. The EGR lowers combustion temperatures. My truck would run hotter during the summer after an EGR delete. Could drive 65 MPH no problem but holding 70 meant the temp gauge would start to rise. Radiator and water pump are 3 years old, engine has been apart and cleaned within the past 2, so it's not those. Not having a catalytic converter makes the truck sound like poop and smell bad too. Trust me. Trucks with a post cat O2 sensor will throw codes if you remove it. I've tried it all and ended up going back to stock after wasted money and headaches.