General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

22RE Timing issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 22RE Timing issue...

alright so i have a bit of a timing issue...i went to time my 22re and adjusting the distributer i ran out of adjustment...turned it all the way clockwise and i still was only sitting at about 15 BTDC while it was supposed to be 5. Ok well simple fix I thought, I must be off a tooth on the distributer gear...so I pull it out and move it over one tooth (made sure it was only one) timed it again and I was after top dead and ran out of adjustment barley got it close to 0...so it seems If I use one tooth I fall short of 5 degrees and can't make it but if I move it over one gear to try to get there I over shoot. This seems impossible to me. Also during this time I do have the "T" and "E1" terminals shorted...i.e. the ones that show diag codes and kill the advance. So as of now i tuned it so it would run ok and it is sitting around 30 degrees BTDC??? Any ideas on getting the correct timing?!?

Thanks

Dan
Old 04-05-2006, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the timing WITHOUT the jumper installed? Then when the jumper is put in, you can hear the engine run slower and the timing retards?

If not, your TPS hay not be showing that you are at idle, so the jumper is not retarding the timing. Seems that ours is at about 15 deg when it is not jumped.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Well...TPS...your talking about throttle position sensor right..? If thats right I have a very high idle like 1200 or so and if I use the idle screw to ilde it down to 750 it runs ok untill I rev it up then when it returns to idle it slowy dies...so I went to the timing to try to fix that problem..and shorting out the terminal does nothing..didn't think it was supposed to tought it just took the computer off-line..but that messes me up more now because I took off my throttle body and adjusted the TPS (turning untill the Ohms deflects and what not) could I just have a bad idle circuit? What i don't get is inspecting the TPS everything checked out ok..resistance wise?!?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:00 PM

well when you put the jumper in the terminals the idle is supposed to drop (you can hear it drop). So something is not right in the idle circuit. When you put the jumper in does the "Check engine" light flash? Constant steady flashing means no codes, flashes with pauses means there are codes stored. But right now it is any type of flashes you are looking for, that tells you the jumper is making good contact and the ECU is out of the loop.

The best thing to do is to shut down the motor and verify the rotor position at #1 TDC compression. Here is a FSM page with good instructions. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../5distribu.pdf
Verify the base time is set correct byt the instructions and we can go from there.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Timing must be checked below 950 RPM's. Above 950, the counterweights kick in and advance the timing even further. The TPS MUST be working correctly or you'll never get the timing set right. The RPMs must lower while shorting the connector for the timing or you have a problem with the TPS, connectivity of the short, or a wiring problem. TPS testing and adjusting procedure….

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Gonna check everything suggested above tomorrow...
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM

it could also be a streched timing chain, thats what happened to mine and it wore a whole in the cover its no fun thats for sure.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:49 PM

So far my throttle stop screw was not allowing the engine to idle below 1100rpm. I adjusted that to 750rpm with no problem. The jumper does nothing but get the check engine light to flash codes. It is either 15 or 51. And I think there might be another code 2 or 3 in there.

Now I need to check that out and measure the impedence on the TPS.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 PM

So i went through the 4Crawler info and checked everything. Now, I might be measuring it wrong, or doing the math wrong, but my numbers aren't anywhere near spec. One of my most obvisous issues is that test 2 and 3 don't give ma nay reading at all.

So I removed and opened the TPS> There was a good amount of stuff in there and the contacts didn't looks too great.

I guess it's time for a new TPS. Anyone know a good brand?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM

I got a new TPS from Carquest and that did the trick. I instaled it and all the measruments were different from my old one, although not in-line with 4Crawlers list. Of course that could be on me.

Funny part is I still got no reading from the 58mm measurment, #2. I figured I could move the throttle and see some reading--nope. I didn't get a reading until I put the 58mm space in place and slowly tisted the TPS. Then I started getting readins on one end. Once I did I found the reading I locked it down and I was then able to set the timing to 5BTDC and the idle to 750 RPM.

Might still need some minor adjustment, but everything works now.