General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

22RE polyurethane engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
22RE polyurethane engine mounts

I don't claim to have figured this one out on my own, I heard about from a guy that did this on his lifted, long travel early 80's Celica. I haven't, however, seen anyone else write it up so it's worth a few minutes to spread the word about a $20 polyurethane engine mount. It's an Energy Suspension GM transmission mount, part number 3.1108 (R or G for red or black). Before I ordered one I measured the stock 22RE engine mount and found it nearly identical. While I don't have a 22RE in my truck anymore I did reuse the 22RE mounts, so this will work on any 22R or 22RE. This might also work for other applications, so hear are the measurements so you can see if it will fit.

Note the interlock that will prevent the mount from pulling completely apart if the polyurethane fails. Only the center hole is needed and the supplied bolt is just about the same size as the stud on the factory rubber mount.

Installation is pretty simple, here's the package I got in the mail. It should be noted that there's a flat piece of anodized metal with 2 holes that comes with it, this needs to go under the mount to line everything up a bit better and provides some kind of preload to the bushing.

I only replaced the driver side mount since this is the one that's under tension, and most likely to tear, when driving forward. 2 bolts (14mm wrench) to the mount pad and 1 nut (17mm) on the engine bracket is all that's holding the old one in. Of course, the engine has to be jacked up a bit to get the old one out, but the new one goes in much easier since there's no stud that has to go through the engine bracket. Also, I heard that the corners of the mount ears might have to be filed down to sit on the factory pad, but I didn't have to file anything to get all the holes to line up. The bolt for the center hole of the engine bracket comes with the Energy Suspension piece along with the appropriate lock and flat washer. If you want, you can use the stock metal cover over top of the mount, but polyurethane is oil and gas resistant so it's not necessary.

I took if for a drive and didn't notice any engine vibrations from the stiffer mount, but then again my inline 6 is a pretty smooth running engine.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's really cool! Someone suggested that the knock I get when not moving is busted engine mount; this would be an awesome replacement.

Thanks for posting!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Nice, thanks for the info.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome! very happy to see such a cheap alternative! Since i need new ones anyways, i'll probably buy those tomorrow. I have a feeling you have started a fire with this little write-up!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Wow, interesting. I might get one to replace my rockstomper mount. Hmmmm....
Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info, added to my todo list..

and your avatar always makes me want a beer...damn you
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Just did this to mine after I jacked up my driver side motor mount last weekend. What a difference. We'll see how it holds up. No more vibrations than it had before.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 PM

I've been having a vibration problem, so I thought why not try puting in new engine mounts. Saw this thread, and found the Energy mounts on amazon for a good price. Well my vibration problem wasn't the engine mounts, and these mounts made it a lot worse. I took them out and put the old ones back in. I don't see how you guys aren't getting more vibration with these. Even just starting my truck I could tell a differece when it was turning over.

I did drill out a little bit of the polyunrethane in the center bolt hole, as someone suggested on another forum. Maybe I wasn't suppose to do that, and thats why It vibrated so much. There isn't enough room past the threads for the bolt to go all the way down, and without drilling it out you would either have to use extra washers or compress the polyurethane. I guess maybe its suppose to be compressed, but I don't see why that would make a difference.

I can see how these would give you more power. I took a video. I'll try and post it latter. I guess if your truck is running well, you don't mind the extra vibration, and want the extra power these would work. Just didn't work for me.

Well if anyone wants a pair of these in black for cheap, pm me. Best if you are in or near California. That way the shipping won't be to much.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 05-15-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 AM

I'll buy one of them and in San Diego, or if it's cheap enough both
Old 05-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Let me see how much shipping is. I'll get back to you latter today or tonight, unless I forget. I'll pm you my email
Old 05-15-2011, 10:32 AM

done!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by giantjoebot
I've been having a vibration problem . . .
These won't give you any power, but if you already have a vibration problem they certainly won't help with that either. Personally, I didn't notice any change in the level of vibration when I swapped them in
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM

there suppose to give you better acceleration. I watched a video on it. The engine moves less. Less energy is lost in absorption of the mounts, then with rubber mounts. I watched some videos on them. really cool time elapsed install videos for their engine mount inserts. Has a part at the end that shows an engine shifting. Then again that was for inserts and not for using trans mount as motor mounts. I can't find the videos right now for some reason.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 05-16-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Again, it won't give you any performance increase, it's just a sturdier part which is less likely to tear. The 1/4" that a rubber mount will give under hard hard acceleration is nothing compared to the hundreds of RPMs that the driveshaft is spinning just above idle when pulling out. But I guess there's no real argument I can make against the "facts" presented in a promotional video meant to sell you something. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, just pointing out that the video you watched is trying to sell you something and won't necessarily present plausible facts or information if it means less profit for them.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
One of these days I am gonna have to try these. Looking at some of the oem mounts these replace, I wonder if the rubber aftermarket replacements that these wer meant to take the place of would work as well.

As to the power argument, you wouldn't see anything really on a dyno, however one can argue that you might feel a little better throttle response from a stiffer mount due to the fact the engine doesn't roll slightly before transferring it's power to the driveline, but I believe it's somewhat negligible.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 AM

I can see the argument that power will be transmitted into the drive line instead of rocking the motor the back an forth.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 PM

You don't sound like a dick corax. I love your avatar by the way. One of my favorite beers.

Look I don't really care, and I have never experienced it first hand, because I took mine out before I had a chance to drive it around. I mean it did feel different turning over the engine. So I'm just going by what I've heard. I heard that race cars use solid mounts because you get the most performance out of those, but lots of vibration. I heard the polys are suppose to be in-between. Better performance than rubber without the vibration of solid mounts. When I was looking into this, and read through many forums with people talking about the mount inserts, they said they felt like they got better performance. But honestly I really don't care.

Its a really cool mod! Thats why I tried it out. My truck just isn't there yet. So I'm going to sell them, and hope they work out for the next guy.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM

I'll let everyone know how it goes and what my butt dyno says
Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
on a side note, someone take a look at this real quick and tell me if it's too much movement on stock engine mounts. At the start no need to watch the whole thing. It's me testing my steering movement after new pitman and idler. Of course I never get a chance to see the engine move really and this led me to believe it might be time for new mounts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=205VlujACWE
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
thanks for the tip! i did this mod last july and i'm really happy with it! i did both sides and didn't notice any additional engine vibes

Quick Reply: 22RE polyurethane engine mounts