Tips & Tricks Tips and tricks to make the site easier to use such as posting pictures, where to host them, and avatars

Fix Vintage Toyota Wiper Linkage to Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix Vintage Toyota Wiper Linkage to Motor

I ran into a problem with my 1978 Toyota Pickup. The plastic bushing that holds the linkage to the wiper motor broke. Once I realized I could not locate a replacement part I fashioned my own part without damaging the linkage or motor. Here is the details.

The parts listed above from left to right are:
1. Wiper arm from motor with broken factory clip
2. Shift Bushing Part # 33548-31010 - Toyota Dealer Parts
3. ⅝” x ¾” Brass Flange Bearing - Orchard Supply Hardware
4. ⅝”x ¼” x ⅜” nylon spacer (2) - Orchard Supply Hardware
5. #10-24 Nylon Lock Nut - Orchard Supply Hardware
6. #10-24 x 1-¼” Flat Head Phillips Screw - Orchard Supply Hardware
Additional items not shown above
7. #8 Finishing Washer - Orchard Supply Hardware
8. 3/16” Fender Washer - Orchard Supply Hardware

The shift Bushing is the critical piece as it has an inner ridge in the cup portion of the bushing that is the perfect size to grip the ball portion of the wiper arm. here is the assembly instructions:

1. Place the item #7, finishing washer upside down in the bottom of #2 shift bushing. The cupped portion of the finishing washer should be facing the small hole in the shift bushing.
2. Please #6, flat head Phillips screw in through the larger hole of the shift bushing and through the finishing washer. The screw should appear to be resting on the finishing washer backwards.
3. Place both nylon bushings on the end of the screw.
4. Place #3, brass bearing over the nylon bushings and up against the Shift bushing with the flange closest to the shift bushing.
5. Place the assembled parts through the ¾” opening of the linkage arm.
6. Place #7, fender washer on backside of the linkage arm and have the Phillips screw pass through the hole.
7. Place # 5, Lock nut over end of screw and tighten assembled parts together with the linkage arm sandwiched over the brass bearing with the bottom flange and upper fender washer limiting is perpendicular motion.
8. Finally with firm pressure, snap the shift bushing over the wiper arm ball. The ball of the arm should fit completely in the hole with the screw head going inside the center of the ball. the finishing washer is cupped the correct way to all for maximum clearance of the ball in the cup portion of the shift bushing.

Reinstall the motor and enjoy.

The only improvement I would make on this design would be to shorten the length of the brass bearing so there is little to no play for the linkage arm to slide up and down on the bearing. This version above causes a slight delay in the strokes back and forth. Let me know if you improved on it?

Thank you, Bill