Tips & Tricks Tips and tricks to make the site easier to use such as posting pictures, where to host them, and avatars

1986 pickup starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 pickup starter problems

If your Toyota P.U. will not start when it gets hot outside, you might want to read this thread.

I have a 1986 Toyota pickup that I have had starting problems with for almost 3 summers. I say summers, because it would not start when it was hot outside.

I have tried 3 or 4 starters (Autozone specials) and it would start great with a new starter, except when it was really hot. So today after it would not start again, I decided to do a little troubleshooting on my own. I pulled apart the Bendix portion of the starter and saw the brass thrust washer had less than 1/8" of an inch of contact with the positive a negative posts and thrust washer (contact points). So I filed off the thrust washer and contact points. Realizing I would be back doing the same thing once the contacts got cruddy again (wore out), so I decided to do a little additional "preventative maintenance". Seeing the contact points were only making contact by about 1/8" , I determined I needed to use the available space between the spindle and the contact points to increase the contact area. To do this, I simply added a washer behind the posts, (between the rubber insulator and the top of the bolt), pushing the contact closer to the center of the spindle. I took a regular round flat washer with the same hole diameter as the post or bolt and ground it square so it would fit inside the square rubber insulator. I did this on both copper posts or bolts. I then reinstalled the Bendix ensuring I had proper clearance, I reinstalled all of the parts back on the starter and installed it back into the truck. And wah-la the Toyota starts every time!!!
Unfortunately I did not take any pictures, and I wasn't going to pull it apart again just to show what I did. I figured a little information is better than nothing!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I'm new here but I have an '86 and have starter problems but a different one. when you turn the key does your solenoid click? And on mine the starter spins but wont crank the engine until the 4th or 5th try and idk if theres a clutch in the motor slippin or what
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by zgray99
Hey I'm new here but I have an '86 and have starter problems but a different one. when you turn the key does your solenoid click? And on mine the starter spins but wont crank the engine until the 4th or 5th try and idk if theres a clutch in the motor slippin or what
check battery voltage. Then check connections and cable to starter. Sounds like it isn't getting enough juice to spin solenoid out. Could be dirty brushes, wish I'd known that before swapping out my yota starter for a parts store starter.