Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joint Spacers, Paint.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
delete

Last edited by liveoak; 11-22-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: no likey
Old 11-22-2016, 12:02 PM

I've had the ARB Standard bumper (w/o Fogs) for almost 2 years. I love the bumper, but I've always wanted to install some addtl. auxiliary lighting for it.

The turn signal lamps on the ARB seemed to be expendable, and would provide a good mounting area for some LEDs, so I started hunting for a light that would fit. With the angle of the ARB's "wings" this would throw a wider beam out to the sides and provide better "ditch lighting" and provide a more-complete spread pattern when combined with the headlights and/or the 10" LED Bar I have mounted in the grille.

This is the area I wanted to install them:

After researching a few options and cheap "import LEDs", I finally found the ones that would work (with some minor modifications, of course )

Rigid SR-Q2 Flush Mount (Driving Beam Pattern) - Part # 93531

Specifications:
  • Watts: 34.5
  • Amp Draw: 2.50
  • LED's: 6
  • Raw Lumens: 3030
  • Lux @ 10m: 206.1
  • Beam Distance: 287.1 m
  • Peak Beam Intensity: 20,612 cd
I got in touch with Sean and Brett from Rigid Industries. After explaining what it was I wanted to do, they were gracious enough to give me a discount on a set. I was thoroughly impressed with the whole experience - Rigid is a very stand up company with some great employees who stand behind their product 100%

This was the plan:
  1. Remove the light bracket for the stock ARB signals
  2. Cut/grind the opening to fit the Rigids
  3. Wire them up to the stock Fog Light harness and switch
  4. Mount them with Security Torx screws
  • I started by removing the turn signal mounting bracket on the ARB Bumper

• Next, I had to grind the opening to fit the Rigids. I also had to "create" a small tab to drill a mounting hole into. I was able to notch the edge of the opening and bend it into a tab that could be drilled.

• After I ground enough to get the Rigids to fit, I taped-off the wings and rattle-canned with some Rusto Satin Black (this is almost a perfect match to the ARB's finish)
  • Detail of the mounting tab I had to bend - it's not the prettiest job, but it works :p
  • Next, I had to figure out the wiring.
    I wanted to use the stock Fog Light plugs and switch to make things simple. You can buy a "harness kit" from Starkey for about $30, or you can make your own harness for under $10. Just get (2) Male 2-Pin Deutsch connectors, and an H10 extension harness. Clip the Male end off the H10 extension, and connect your Deutsch connectors. I ran an extended length of wire to ensure the connections could be tucked-up and out of the way.

• All that was left was to mount them.
    I used some Security Torx bolts and Nyloc nuts to attach them. You can see the plug/harness tucked-up and zip-tied out of the way. This makes the lights easy to remove, if needed.

• Finished Product

• Wrap-Up
    These little bastards are downright incredible! Now I can see what all the hype is about, and justifiably so!!! They throw just as far as my high beams and the Driving Pattern is the perfect combination of depth/width/height to fill the whole field-of-view with brilliant white light. It is amazing how much light can come from such a small package

After running them flush-mount for a few weeks, I decided to add the angled "wedges" to see the beam difference if they were to be angled in a few more degrees. I decided this pattern would be much better suited for my needs:
    • It was still off to the sides enough to assist with SAR Missions (sometimes your head is on a swivel looking for any movement/clues/disturbed brush etc. on either side of the road or trail, so being able to illuminate both sides is VERY helpful)
    • It provided a much brighter spot in the center. Even with the 10" Light Bar (not a Rigid), the SR-Q2s provide a much brighter spread.
  • All in all, I couldn't be happier with these lights! The install went smoothly, and I now have VERY functional and bright auxiliary lighting that will last for years, instead of an extra set of useless turn signals and DRLs.

Plus, I still have room to add some 4"-5" round fogs and the area on top for some big spots if I ever need
    MOAR LIGHT!!!
VIDEO HERE:
Old 11-22-2016, 12:20 PM

Full size air compressor tank

To save time and effort when airing back up and to not overwork my converted A/C-air compressor, I installed a full sized tank from an old air compressor on the opposite side of the rear driveshaft from the gas tank and the only other mod necessary to make room for it was to put a "Cherry Bomb" muffler in place of the original.
Attached Thumbnails YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-dcp_08220.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-dcp_08250.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-dcp_08280.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 02:02 PM

16 tacoma trdor dcsb

OME suspension, 285/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx.
Favorite mod ARB air compressor!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:46 PM

Not a 4x4 but definitely a 'Yota!

Custom c-notch, leaf spring delete, 4 link suspension with air ride, 2 custom cross members, gas tank relocated, added air tank and compressor mounts, front torsion bar delete, custom front bag mounts, front and rear shock relocated,
custom short exhaust, boxed rear frame. Lays the frame out, passes Washington state emissions.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
simple but very nice to have it came out great an every time i get in the armrest is in use

original on the right
underside
metal interior plate

holes marked
sodiering iron to melt the holes so they dont fray or rip out
reassembling
all done
installed in the truck
Old 11-22-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little different concept for a bumper mod.

Built out of the roll bar from my parts 4Runner. Only cut in two places.
Attached Thumbnails YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-finished-welding.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-lower-bumper-build-024.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 06:19 PM

puff the evil wagon is my horribly out of budget build. part of it was spending a couple hundred to buy the tuffy to mount my used 2m radio in
Attached Thumbnails YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-20160407_195056_resized.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-img_20151025_114946_835.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome! Thanks for running this contest! The Four Wheel Camper, purchased a few months ago, is my newest mod!

*edit* Wait, I just lied. I forgot I put an B&M Transmission Cooler on not too long ago because the transmission temp warning light was flickering on and off while going over passes after adding the camper. Next up, a subwoofer and new speakers so my music doesn't sound so terrible.

Last edited by Athansinis; 11-22-2016 at 08:49 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-23-2016, 02:45 AM

some new feet

Just giving her some new feet too many other mods to list

no feet yet
the start
work in progress
Finished Product
Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 AM

Tacoma Dog Platform Mod

Not as advanced as some of these really awesome mods, but this is the dog platform I built in my 2nd Gen Taco DCLB.
Attached Thumbnails YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-img_1490.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-img_1491.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-img_1494.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-img_1493.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 07:48 AM

It is the little stuff

Originally Posted by Corey
Here we go again for the third time fellow YotaTech community members, we are having a third giveaway!

Yeah, yeah, standard cut & paste

There will be two lucky winners. We have some ARB Essentials Recovery Kits ($300 value) for first prize.

The second prize will be a set of Coyote Automatic Tire Deflators.

To win, all you need to do is show us a photo of your rig with your latest mods you have been working on.
You have had mod fever right?
It sure has hit me hard this past summer and fall.

The winner will be chosen via a random number generator after the contest is closed.
Entries will be accepted beginning now until Monday the 28th of November, and when the thread is closed, that is all the entries that will be allowed.

I will notify the winner by PM and here in the thread, and I will give you the contact info to supply your address where you would like the gear shipped to.

Please only enter once in this thread, and if you are not entering, please do not post in this thread as it will mess up the random number generator.

Good luck, everyone!
Added factory roof rack. From junkyard. Pieced it from 3 separate 3rd gens. Extra rails!!. Better than no rack.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:57 AM

Pre 84 Safari Snorkel

I have a 1983 Toyota that I wanted a to put a Snorkel Kit on. I searched several places and could not find a company that made one for the First Generation Trucks. I did some research and purchased a kit for a Toyota Hilux 65 Series that fits the Drivers Side. I knew it would be tricky trying to line it up to only cut one hole in the fender. I had a parts truck to work with and by the time I got the angles to line up with the windshield pillar I had cut out almost all of my test fender. If anyone would like the exact measurements for the fender hole let me know and I will get them for you. Also, do not use the fender template that comes with this kit, the final hole was inches off from this template. As you can see this project is not finished I still need to modify the plumbing into the air filter.
Attached Thumbnails YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-sam_2095.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-sam_2093.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-sam_2096.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-sam_2102.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-sam_2098.jpg  

YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-sam_2090.jpg  

Last edited by bonebright; 11-24-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:56 PM

My 86

My old 86 was looking rough. So, I cleaned up the rust and sorted some primer for now. Just finished a TDI diesel install. Sussing out a few bugs, but it was worth all the work.
Attached Thumbnails YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-img_20160518_205251.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-img_20161108_160516.jpg  
Old 11-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Trail Gear Tire Carrier Mod

Old 11-24-2016, 07:06 PM

2006 4Runner Sport 229K miles... Shrockworks bumper and winch, adding LED fog lights, daughter put on the reindeer nose and antlers. Impressive setup, winch pulled my F350 Ford Diesel Dually onto a two foot tall flatbed trailer when it broke down.

Last edited by drgetlit; 11-24-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:57 PM

New Front and read shocks installed

Just upgraded and added longer shocks to help the old girl out.
Attached Thumbnails YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-11221473_10156234758350026_4444540488073582874_n.jpg   YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November-13938516_10157262144625026_3313275903414087916_n.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 01:26 AM

best and latest mod is bigger callipers and discs to my RZn169R hilux. Now it stops when I want to stop!!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:38 PM

86 Deluxe 4-runner, 168K orig miles and factory paint scheme. My restore project.

ARB rear springs, Rhino roof rack, A-piller gauge set.

Quick Reply: YotaTech Community Member Giveaway For November