Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

When to fix an oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to fix an oil leak

Hello everyone: first, let me say how much I have enjoyed and appreciated yotatech, and the contributions you've all made to this great source of information.

I’m trying to determine how much oil is considered a safe amount to leak for a 1998 Toyota T100 with a 3.4 and manual transmission. Vehicle is new to me, and has 188,000 miles on it.

Within 24 hours of being driven and parked, a few drops of oil appear. I’ve never seen more than two 25-cent-quarter size pools, and the dipstick indicates 3/4 full (checking when engine is completely cold) with 1,000 miles and no oil added. I’ve cleaned everything pretty well underneath, but have yet to fully determine where the leak is coming from. The leak comes down onto the transmission bell housing, and often onto the oil pan as well. I’m somewhat confident it can’t be the valve cover gaskets because records indicate both were replaced by the dealer 3,000 miles ago. Further, there does not appear to be oil residue around the valve covers. Records also indicate cam plugs were replaced at the same time, nor does there appear to be oil residue. I’m thinking it’s either the the rear main, or possibly the oil pan … but again, I’m not that confident.

My question is, what is a safe/acceptable amount of oil for these rigs to leak before the leak should be fixed?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well as long as your keeping the oil level full !!

Keep enough oil with you to fill up a few times. Depending how far you drive .

I have found when your friends start telling you not to park in there drive way or near there house if on the street time to fix things

Myself I think 12 quarts of oil a week is about the limit I could put up with for driving less then 100 miles

I dumped in 10 quarts of oil a week this went on over a year till I got some breathing room and bought another Celica

The 85 still sits here waiting for the engine .

This is a true story of my only car a 85 Celica 22RE engine while going through my divorce rather extreme but at that time my only option

I changed the filter around every 3000 miles
Old 01-21-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
This ^^^

When your changing the filter but not the oil because it never stays in long enough to get dirty its time.

Obviously life gets in the way so until you can fix it start buying oil by the case and keep the case in your rig. That's what I did at least.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts

Been there leaking front main for months on end (I don't like winter). Buying oil in multi gallon lots. Parking nose up hill. Carting around a sheet of cardboard to park on.

I think this is a double posting/dupe thread.

Fix it when your able and willing unless it comes out faster than you can handle putting more in. You could always get creative and plumb a hand pump into a spare oil cap and refill on the go, which is the route I'd go of it was really bad (more than a quart per trip) and really cold outside( anywhere north of South Dakota ).
Old 01-21-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you don`t like Winter become a Snow Bird !!

It has been years but I had friends that Summered In Jackson Wyo and Wintered in St. George Utah

Left Mid October came back Second week in May.

Me I hate the Summer and being Soaking wet sweated all day
Old 01-21-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Yeah I went the wrong direction for winter, again..

I don't regulate very well at all. Once it gets cold enough the veins and arteries start to shrink up at my appendages my core temp goes bonkers and I'm sweating and freezing all at the same time.

If you have to choose wet and cold or wet and hot, hypothermia wet and cold is gonna kill you faster.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I love winter. But hate having to fix/work on rigs without a shop. So until I get one built next year, I hope. I will only fix things that will become terminal before the non-snowy weather. Currently 12-18" snow on the ground and 35 deg and raining.