Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

What year(s) should I look for to find a front axle for a SAS?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year(s) should I look for to find a front axle for a SAS?

I think the title pretty much explains it all .

I've found a few Axles on Craigslist, but I don't know the advantage/disadvatages to different years.

It will be going into a '89 4Runner.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM

for some reason i hear the 85' is the best. not sure why...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 PM

The 85 axle has the most axle Reinforcement Gussets stock! i do believe
Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Any from the first gen 4x4 trucks will work fine or the 84-85 4runner and trucks. The 85 did come with some factory reinforcement .
Old 10-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Anything 79-85 pickup or 4Runner will work but 84/85 has the most factory reinforcement and some early ones none at all.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'84-'85 have the longest bottom truss. I think (but wouldn't swear to) the '82-'83 having a short truss and anything older having no truss. None of it can't be overcome. Most add an upper truss during build up anyways. Adding some lower reinforcement wouldn't be too difficult. Below is mine (84-85) with the aftermarket upper truss already in place.

The ones with a short truss would come out to about where the blue spot on the bucket behind the axle is. (approx) Just to give a better idea of what we're talking about. The mechanical stuff is all the same.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Whats nice about the older one pre 84 is that the truss is smaller giving you extra clearence though were talking less than a 1/4" 84-85 have a truss that goes past the ubolts and is very strong. Upper gussets and Knuckle gussets are great upgrades just be sure to weld slow. Any yota SFA will do! and if you want it to be stronger just truss it more!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Whats nice about the older one pre 84 is that the truss is smaller giving you extra clearence though were talking less than a 1/4" 84-85 have a truss that goes past the ubolts and is very strong. Upper gussets and Knuckle gussets are great upgrades just be sure to weld slow. Any yota SFA will do! and if you want it to be stronger just truss it more!
Why do you have to weld slow?? I want to do a bead around the whole thing non stop with the voltage on the highest setting!

(that was a joke btw, hence the )
Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Why do you have to weld slow?? I want to do a bead around the whole thing non stop with the voltage on the highest setting!

(that was a joke btw, hence the )
WOW cause I was gonna say dude!

To those of you who dont know why. you could get the axle too hot and warp it

trussing is nice for the rear too

Heres a pic of nuckle gussets

Notice in the above pic how the lower truss goes to the end past the ubolts. this is an 85 axle the older stop short of the ubolts
Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM

WOW cause I was gonna say dude!

To those of you who dont know why. you could get the axle too hot and warp it

I always heat it up as much as i can to get full penetration and then i dump ice cold water on heated metal! I swear thats how its supposed to be done!

(fyi, this was also a statement. for all people reading who do not know much about welding, do not do that)
Old 10-01-2008, 05:27 PM

As usual you guys come through

Thanks for the great info!

Now It's just finding one that isn't complete junk.... Then saving up for that All-Pro SAS and lift kit .
Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have you looked at trail gear or marlin?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

A front axle out of an 80 series Landcruiser is an option too ...

Regardless, knuckle gussets are required:
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...79deb03851b1e9
Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
have you looked at trail gear or marlin?
IMO allpro makes great springs for the 4runners and the weight. I run them and love them. soft yet stiff when they need to be and give and amazing ride and ungodly flex!

Both those compnies are really good too though!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by tc
A front axle out of an 80 series Landcruiser is an option too ...

Regardless, knuckle gussets are required:
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...79deb03851b1e9
Only problem with there (FROR) knuckle kit is you still have to fab up shock mount tabs unlike the trail gear set which I highly reccomend. Best design IMO The front range kit however looks like they give maybe a bit more strength dispributed around the knuckle
Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 PM

IMO allpro makes great springs for the 4runners and the weight. I run them and love them. soft yet stiff when they need to be and give and amazing ride and ungodly flex!

Both those compnies are really good too though!
i also think allpro makes good products, i got there long travel 5" rears and i like them. though i could use a lil more weight in the back so i can get that spring to lay flat
Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
i also think allpro makes good products, i got there long travel 5" rears and i like them. though i could use a lil more weight in the back so i can get that spring to lay flat
Take the overload leaf out maybe! You dont want the springs to lay flat. its not good when compressed and they bow the opposite way! Thus one reason why bumpstops are used.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Only problem with there (FROR) knuckle kit is you still have to fab up shock mount tabs unlike the trail gear set which I highly reccomend. Best design IMO The front range kit however looks like they give maybe a bit more strength dispributed around the knuckle
nice to hear someone recommending Trail-Gear for once...Personally I have had great experience with their products and customer service (so far)
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
nice to hear someone recommending Trail-Gear for once...Personally I have had great experience with their products and customer service (so far)
Its more how the company came too owner Chris Greager worked for allpro and marlin now own trail gear which pisses people off becuase hes so called "stolen ideas" IE the six stud knuckles which marlin designed but later dropped the suit between companies becuase they proved to not be much stronger than stock . things like that plus compitiotion. Ive met both Marlin and trail gear owners and loved both companies. Marlin is amazing and so is Dave there GM! Trail gears entire staff is very nice and very down to talk trucks. Ill continue to do buisness with both and have much respect for them!

BTW trail gear has so much inventory stock piled which saves you and them in the end. They buy in huge bulk which is turning them into a HUGE company taking over the scene!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:09 AM

Its more how the company came too owner Chris Greager worked for allpro and marlin now own trail gear which pisses people off becuase hes so called "stolen ideas" IE the six stud knuckles which marlin designed but later dropped the suit between companies becuase they proved to not be much stronger than stock . things like that plus compitiotion. Ive met both Marlin and trail gear owners and loved both companies. Marlin is amazing and so is Dave there GM! Trail gears entire staff is very nice and very down to talk trucks. Ill continue to do buisness with both and have much respect for them!

BTW trail gear has so much inventory stock piled which saves you and them in the end. They buy in huge bulk which is turning them into a HUGE company taking over the scene!
I have no doubt that Trail Gear is a great company.

I know that Marlin is nothing short of amazing... someday I hope to own my own ultimate crawl box...

But for what my plans are for this truck, the All-Pro kit fits the bill perfectly.

I'm sure eventually I'll end up buying products from everyone .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What year(s) should I look for to find a front axle for a SAS?