Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Torsion bar/cambolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion bar/cambolt

1990 4runner

Noticed that one side is off by about 3/8" and I believe that I can corrected that with a torsion bar adjustment. So do I just hold down the adjustment bolt (bottom) and wrench down the nut on top to adjust it? What way does turning the nut make the control arm go? (up/down)

Also I'm taking it in for an alignment afterwards because I put in a new tie rod/ball joint kit. Before bringing it to the shop I tried busting loose all of the cambolts. Passenger side loose and is easy to adjust. I managed to bust loose the driver side but I cannot get it to move much(the control arm). Seems like it just gets stuck. Why do you think this is? Could be because I don't have enough clearance to get enough leverage (jackstands don't provide enough room for a longer bar) but why would the driver side be so easy to adjust? Shops around here turn you away if your ride is too old and rusty so I want to make sure they can turn those cambolts with ease. Think busting it loose for them is good enough?

Last edited by mattyboi; 10-19-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before turning those torsion bar bolts you should lubricate the threads and the nuts under the body. They will most likely seize up no matter how much you lube them. It's a common problem for these to fight any adjustment. Tightening the bolts will lift the corner. Loosen to lower / level. I suggest getting the front end to relax and completely off the ground when doing this. Like I said....it will probably be more work than it's worth.

If the alignment shop can't align it unless you break the nuts loose then why take it to them? This is what you pay for.....let them do it.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trents3.slow
Before turning those torsion bar bolts you should lubricate the threads and the nuts under the body. They will most likely seize up no matter how much you lube them. It's a common problem for these to fight any adjustment. Tightening the bolts will lift the corner. Loosen to lower / level. I suggest getting the front end to relax and completely off the ground when doing this. Like I said....it will probably be more work than it's worth.

If the alignment shop can't align it unless you break the nuts loose then why take it to them? This is what you pay for.....let them do it.
Yup I slather some deep creep on pretty much every bolt before I even think of putting a wrench on it lol If it won't move then yea 3/8" isn't a big deal. I only notice it when I'm jacking up the vehicle. Was thinking it might cause some trouble with the alignment which is why I wanted to adjust it.

Also my friend with a 3rd gen 4runner couldn't get his camber/caster adjusted because the mechanic said it was too rusty aka they didn't want to deal with it. I'm also too considerate for my own good sometimes

Last edited by mattyboi; 10-19-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:48 PM

So I just tried turning it again with an impact wrench and got a little more movement, maybe an eighth turn in either direction but still not much. E-mailed the shop with some pics to see what they say now.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mattyboi
So I just tried turning it again with an impact wrench and got a little more movement, maybe an eighth turn in either direction but still not much. E-mailed the shop with some pics to see what they say now.
out of what? The cam bolts or the torsion bars?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trents3.slow
out of what? The cam bolts or the torsion bars?
Cambolts. Might just leave the torsion bars alone.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mattyboi
Cambolts. Might just leave the torsion bars alone.
You have the cam bolt nuts loose and the cams won't turn? Are you doing this with the weight of the vehicle on them or is the front end off the ground relaxed ?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:57 PM

Yup front end jacked up on both sides. I can get the cam bolt to move slightly now but when it comes to the part where it pushes against that frame part (that in turn pushes the control arm), it wont move. I might be able to get it on a hoist and try again with a 1" drive long ass breaker bar haha but at that point it might just break off.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:05 PM

Some times they have a dbl nut, You have to remove the top one first.
Check carefully.