Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Swapping parts on rear axles

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping parts on rear axles

I have a 1991 Toyota 4x4 pickup with a V6. It was hit on the left rear near the wheel, and now it has a wobble. I am buying another used rear end from the same year and a V6, but do not know the gear ratio yet. Are the housings going to be the same, will it make a difference if the donor does not have ABS ? Should I just change out the whole assembly ?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
A 1991 equipped with ABS should have the rear wheel only ABS. The speed sensor for this is located on the top of the third member.

If the 3rd member you wish to switch to does'n.t have provision to accept the ABS sensor, you're outta luck, if you want to retain ABS.

Any '91 pickup axle housing should be the same, but not one from a 91 4Runner, because they have coil springs, not leafs.

You should be able to confirm gear ratios by examining the respective vehicles' spec plates.

Front and rear ratios must be the same for 4x4 function.

Last edited by millball; 10-24-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use my 3rd member with ABS and the axles and housing of the donor vehicle that may not have ABS ?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Yes you can.

On later trucks that have 4 wheel ABS, the speed sensors are on the axles themselves, and the axles and the housing are different for ABS.

The early rear wheel only ABS that your truck has, only has the sensor in the third member itself, and the rest of the rear end is the same as non-ABS.

Last edited by millball; 10-24-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artoyowner
Can I use my 3rd member with ABS and the axles and housing of the donor vehicle that may not have ABS ?
That's what I would do. A lot of times the V6 trucks will have a different gear ratio than the 4 bangers.

You can easily test the gear ratio by raising one back wheel with the truck in N, put a tape mark from the tire to the body and then cut it in the middle to give you a good reference, put a wrap of tape around the drive shaft with an indicator of where it was when you start turning it and then just roll the wheel over 10 times while counting the rotations of the drive shaft. I use my iphone to video the shaft and then look at it after i'm done turning the tire over. Take your shaft rotation count and double it. Then just move your decimal one place to the left.