YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Newbie Tech Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

starter freewheeling, timimg belt broken??

1990 4runner 3vze

Basically I parked the truck after work, went to start it the next morning, and the starter was just winding out with a high-speed whining sound. After wasting time and money taking the starter out and replacing it, I noticed that the fan/steeringpump/alternator belt is in fact turning over, just offering zero resistance to the starter.

I'm just wondering if there are any other possible causes here. The t-belt and water pump are only 3 months old, purchased from Toyota and installed by a reputable shop, so it seems unlikely ...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Firefightertaco
it just sounds like your starter isn't in-gauging with the flywheel, even if your tbelt was broke the motor would still turn over because the starter turns the crank shaft and you would able to tell if motor turning over or not.
Firefightertaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

That's my point, though, if I look inside the hood while cranking the ( whining ) starter, the belts and pulleys all turn...just no compression it seems like
Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

yeah sorry i never read anyone's entire post hardly, but yeah you might have a broke tbelt, the top tbelt cover should be pretty easy to remove, i don't have a 3.0, but i know i can take it off on my 3.4 pretty easy in like 5min, u should probably just go ahead and do that so you can visually see if its broke or not, did you happen to put a new tbelt tensioner and pulley on it when you got it all done?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

New tensioners were put it in, and all other parts were checked, so that's why I'm surprised. I'm resigned to this being the end of the line for this truck I'm afraid, but thanks for your replies!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #6

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 View Post
New tensioners were put it in, and all other parts were checked, so that's why I'm surprised. I'm resigned to this being the end of the line for this truck I'm afraid, but thanks for your replies!
OMG, what? Please tell me a belt was put in it at the same time?

You don't visually inspect a belt, you replace it when Toyota says to replace it...

"In America, we like everyone to know about the good work we're doing anonymously. " J.Leno

Quote:
[On how to succeed in business] You outwork, outthink, outscheme and outmanuever. You make no friends. You trust nobody. And you make damn sure you're the smartest guy in the room whenever the subject of money comes up.
Want BFG 35/10.50's? click here
tried4x2signN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #7

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 View Post
I'm resigned to this being the end of the line for this truck I'm afraid, but thanks for your replies!

yep... truck's totally worthless now b/c all it needs is a belt, and it's broke down b/c somebody didn't PM it to specs to start with...

poor 4Runner... damn clunkers... always breaking down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIdV4...eature=related

"In America, we like everyone to know about the good work we're doing anonymously. " J.Leno

Quote:
[On how to succeed in business] You outwork, outthink, outscheme and outmanuever. You make no friends. You trust nobody. And you make damn sure you're the smartest guy in the room whenever the subject of money comes up.
Want BFG 35/10.50's? click here

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-26-2010 at 06:47 AM.
tried4x2signN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #8

nah man its still worth fixing, i mean if you weren't driving it when it broke it should be ok, i would just tear into it fix it your self man, its really not that hard, there's tons of write ups on here how to do it, maybe you could go talk to the shop an complain to them that they did a crappy job and it broke because of them an they might hook you up with a new one
Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Threadstarter [OP]

appreciate the sentiments firefighter but I've NOT done mid level stuff like this for probably over 15 years. Adding that to the general condition of the rest of the vehicle ( rear glass regulator broken, ball joints worn, small rear seal leak, nasty rust / dents, bad fuel consumption ) means I just don't have the time to bail out a sinking ship.

The belt and its supporting pieces were done at the same time, actually right on schedule with a failing water pump @ 85k since the last time. I'm taking it as a warning sign that the belt failed after 3 months.

Don't get me wrong 4x2, I've been diligent about maintenance, and this has been by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm not happy about losing her but another $700 + repair bill is just over the line, seeing as that brings the total spent on her in the last year alone to well over what she's worth
Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Threadstarter [OP]

Addendum

Had a couple free hours today, did a bit of socket spinning and exposed the timing belt. Lo and behold it is intact with no signs of tears or missing teeth.

Now I'm stumped, why would the motor spin as if there was no compression like it did? Only thing I can imagine is one or both camshafts are broken where they connect to the belt? seems far fetched to me.

Any ideas are welcome
Old 03-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #11

does the timing belt spin when you crank the starter????

try turning the motor over by hand and see how easy it is to turn over..

it could just have zero compression across the board....however VERY unlikely that NO cylinder has any compression.

2001 Dodge 3/4 ton cummins, 6speed, QCSB, 35's on 18's, straight piped, cattleman front bumper. CAI, and superchips tune.
camo31_10.50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #12

even if the belt broke..it still shouldn't just turn over EASILY..the cylinders would still have compression..not all of them..but some would.

2001 Dodge 3/4 ton cummins, 6speed, QCSB, 35's on 18's, straight piped, cattleman front bumper. CAI, and superchips tune.
camo31_10.50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Threadstarter [OP]

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

you can hear the odd spinning-out sound there. Top belt wheels are moving so the problem must lie farther in I'm guessing.

Last edited by 90; 03-21-2010 at 11:51 AM.
90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
Threadstarter [OP]

Any ideas out there? I'm kinda out of my league here I think
Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bad, broke, cheap, damned, earth, freewheeling, saved, signifies, signs, sound, sounds, starter, toyota, we, whining