Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Something Fishy

Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plate between Flywheel and Crankshaft?!?!?!?

I bought an '89 4Runner (22RE) which broke down on me about 3 days after purchasing. I dropped the transmission to find the flywheel bolts are all completely out of their holes! needless to say the bolts were stripped so i get me a new set, go to remount a new flywheel and I cant get any thread engagement on the crankshaft. My first thought is that the threads are all stripped too badly for the new bolts to engage. However, i have also noticed there is a circular plate between my crankshaft and the flywheel kind of like a spacer. The holes in the plate are not threaded at all and the plate is pressed onto the crankshaft. After looking at the Haynes manual and the Toyota repair manual and after searching the forums, i cannot find this circular plate at all. I am thinking this plate is why the bolts came out in the first place. See the pictures below for what i am talking about.

I am not the best mechanic in the world so i would appreciate if someone could tell me if this plate is even supposed to be here. Or, if its not supposed to be here, what would it be used for?? I am now going to rent a pulley puller to pop this thing off. Would i be mistaken if i did not put it back on when i reassemble?
Attached Thumbnails Something Fishy-1.jpg   Something Fishy-2.jpg  

Last edited by f000ooo; 12-09-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am totally shooting in the dark here, because it has been a long time since I've had the flywheel off a 22re.

I am wondering if that spacer is an application for an automatic transmission flex plate that is not needed when running a manual transmission and flywheel.

Do you know if the PO did a motor swap recently?

Just an idea, but BUMP for someone who knows more about this and can shed some light on your situation.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Search for iamsuperbleeder and his 22R-E build thread for some GREAT pics. Might help you.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by zlathim
I am totally shooting in the dark here, because it has been a long time since I've had the flywheel off a 22re.

I am wondering if that spacer is an application for an automatic transmission flex plate that is not needed when running a manual transmission and flywheel.

Do you know if the PO did a motor swap recently?

Just an idea, but BUMP for someone who knows more about this and can shed some light on your situation.

neither the flexplate or the flywheel are the same between a manual and an auto.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Quick update for those interested... i took the weird plate thing off and put up the transmission with a new clutch and flywheel (and new bolts of course). I try to start it and the engine turns, there is a spark, but it never catches. i have not connected the driveshafts but the clutch engages and disengages properly. It looks like i am getting no fuel. There does not seem to be any problem with removing that plate. The starter engages just fine and like i said the engine is now turning.

Hate to hijack my own thread but can anyone see why i wouldnt be getting fuel after flywheel bolts come off?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:40 AM

you have everything electrical reconnected?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM

I troubleshot the electrical system found that the EFI fuse keeps blowing. The O2 sensor connector was melted which seems to be a common problem. I repair that and the engine starts! However it only runs for a second and my EFI fuse keeps blowing. Since fixing the O2 sensor, my diagnostic started working again and i pulled a code 31 (MANIFOLD AND/OR AIRFLOW METER SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT). Im either gonna start looking at that closer tonight or perhaps this weekend but has anyone had a common problem affecting the AFM electrical?

Update: Checked the AFM using 4crawlers site and found the AFM to fail the static test. I plugged the AFM back in and did the bypass cheap trick http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump and the truck started and did not die. I then removed the jumper and the truck started and again did not die. Im off to get a new AFM. I hope this is the end of my problems.

Last edited by f000ooo; 12-17-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:17 PM

you have a short somewhere if your blowing a fuse! HUNT IT DOWN MAN HUNT IT DOWN haha. but glad you got it all workin for the most part tho

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something Fishy