Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Skyjacker leaf springs finally arrived!

Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyjacker leaf springs finally arrived!

I've had these suckers ordered since October 5th from a well-known local 4-wd specialty shop in Sacramento. I was told they would be here in 2 weeks, not 2 months. Go figure...
Anyways, I'm planning on installing them this weekend sometime if time permits. Anything I should know in particular about replacing leaf springs?

Skyjacker 2'' lifted leaf springs for 2000 Toyota Tacoma

Ryan
Old 12-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6" Skyjacker on my 88 4Runner - notes

Hi,
You might not run into these issues with the 2" spring but I though i'd throw out my recent experience, this ignores the actual install which isn't too hard:
SkyJacker 6" springs on an 88 4Runner are a tough combo. I could never get the driveline to balance in the stock configuration and the lift was scary high in the rear for highway driving.
In the End I removed the overload leaf (a 3/4"-1" reduction in height), reversed the wedge to point the diff at the transfer case and bought a CV driveaxle to eliminate the vibrations.
New Springs typically change the driveline angles from the stock configuration and cause the drive axle to wobble out of phase (look up some driveline sites to explain this in greater detail).
The 2" springs won't be as noticeable since the angle change is less and hopefully will not cause any vibration in the driveshaft, but be prepared to mess with wedges to get the pinion parallel with the output shaft on the transfer case when the truck is on the ground (not on the lift). I'd measure these angles before you start so you can reproduce them with teh new spring set.
** The angle you need to know is: the pinion relative to the ground. You want to match that with the new springs. The drive axle angle will change and the flange plates will adapt.

I had 4" blocks on before the springs and never had a problem since they don't alter the angles of the pinion, the new springs likely will.
Good Luck.