Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Replaced h2o pump-won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:20 PM
RTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced h2o pump-won't turn over

<br />I have a 1994 3.0 pick-up with 270k miles. It's been awesome to me. We've spent a lot of time in the Rockies of CO and outside Moab. I am, at best, an amateur mechanic. I recently replaced the h2o pump which involved removal of the timing belt. Now that I've got the belt back on and timing marks lined up it will not turn over. I'm clueless as to what the issue is. Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
What does 'turn over' mean to you??

Won't crank? Cranks but won't start up????
Old 01-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RTR
<br />I have a 1994 3.0 pick-up with 270k miles. It's been awesome to me. We've spent a lot of time in the Rockies of CO and outside Moab. I am, at best, an amateur mechanic. I recently replaced the h2o pump which involved removal of the timing belt. Now that I've got the belt back on and timing marks lined up it will not turn over. I'm clueless as to what the issue is. Any ideas?
By not turning over, you mean it will not start? Double check to ensure you have the timing correct. Before removing the timing belt, did you line up the marks on the cams and crank?

Last edited by DallasTX; 01-13-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:42 PM
RTR

Hey Millball. It tries t start but won't. I am a dumbass for not lining up timing marks. So I am fairly certain the timing is the issue. I don't know what to do to continue. Timing cover is still off. Tensioner is in place. Belt is taught. Next......?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Cranks but does not start .

Unless you forget to hook up the ECM grounds

I would double check that all the marks are where they should be .

Quite easy to move one of the cams putting the belt on
Old 01-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RTR
Hey Millball. It tries t start but won't. I am a dumbass for not lining up timing marks. So I am fairly certain the timing is the issue. I don't know what to do to continue. Timing cover is still off. Tensioner is in place. Belt is taught. Next......?
You are gonna have to insure that the cam/crank timing is correct. Any repair manual that applies to your model should show the way.

If you search this site you can find one or more threads that give step by step directions for timing belt replacement that wll tell how to time the cams to the crank.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:00 PM
RTR

I figured that was my next step. Been procrastinating for fear of failure. I'll get on it first thing tomorrow morning. Much appreciated.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:32 PM

You do have all the intake piping in place and tightened up doncha???

It won't run without that piping plumbed up you know.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:41 PM
RTR

I mentioned I was an amateur and dumbass right? To answer your question, I do now. I didn't previously. Still won't start. I'll revisit your recommendations and give everything another once-over and see what happens. My gut tells me it's the timing. According to the factory marks it's damn near lined up but I dunno. Still learning.... slowly.