Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Rear heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear heater

Hey guys I am tired of having no space in my center console to put stuff so i decided to replace it with a 2001 tacoma one i tried to remove the rear heater but it wouldn't budge after i unscrewed the 4 bolts that held it in place how do i remove it?

Also is there anything else i need to worry about after i have it removed or do i just take it out and not have to do anything else

thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Not sure if the 2nd gen is the same as the 1st gen heater, but there should be the bolts around the base plus the two coolant hoses underneath and the electrical connector that need to be disconnected prior to pulling the rear heater core out,
Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you gotta worry about the coolant hoses that run to the heater!!

mine was just 4 bolts at the base and came loose
Old 12-26-2008, 04:32 PM

well i unscrewed those 4 bolt but the heater doesn't lift off an inch from the floor is it the hoses that are holding it down? if so how do i disconnect them and why do i have to worry about them? im clueless
Old 12-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the hoses carry coolant from the engine to the heater core.(like a mini radiator). thats how a heater works it blows air past hot engine coolant to heat the air. so you will need to disconnect the hoses and connect them together to complete the flow of water. its quite possible that the hoses are holding it down. ok lets start form the top. you remove the center console. with that out of the way you remove the 4 bolts. 2 in the back of the heater unit and 2 in the front should come loose. since yours doesnt you will need to figure out why its not coming loose. just look at it alot and think before you get the hammer. then disconect the hoses COOLANT WILL LEAK OUT ALL OVER YOUR CARPET so put a towel down. use a piece of pipe that will fit inside the coolant hoses to connect the hoses together. and hose clamp them..

Last edited by the_ocho; 12-26-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:48 PM

I don't suppose, once you get the heater out, you'd be willing to sell me your lines for the heater? Mine are rusted out. Anyway, they're the metal ones that run from the engine coolant lines under the hood near the fire wall. Just pull the two metal lines from the rubber coolant ones and put a barbed fitting there. It will complete the loop there and you'll be able to pull the lines and sell the to me LOL. Underneath the truck is where the metal lines go (the look a little like brake lines), and they connect to more rubber lines and up through the floor of the truck to the heater. That might be where you need to take them off to get the heater out. Good luck, and let me know if you feel like selling those lines.

Pete
Old 12-26-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by PDCCD
I don't suppose, once you get the heater out, you'd be willing to sell me your lines for the heater? Mine are rusted out. Anyway, they're the metal ones that run from the engine coolant lines under the hood near the fire wall. Just pull the two metal lines from the rubber coolant ones and put a barbed fitting there. It will complete the loop there and you'll be able to pull the lines and sell the to me LOL. Underneath the truck is where the metal lines go (the look a little like brake lines), and they connect to more rubber lines and up through the floor of the truck to the heater. That might be where you need to take them off to get the heater out. Good luck, and let me know if you feel like selling those lines.

Pete
I dont see why not i just have to get around to taking the darn thing off and figuring out how to. Its hard to picture what you said to do but then again it is night and i am going off of memory but ill give it another look tomorrow. But once i get everything removed ill send you a pm
Old 12-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Well, someone here suggested i just use rubber hose to replace them, and i think due to my salty environment, they may last longer that way, so don't do it on my account after all. But if you do anyway, let me know, if i don't like the rubber hoses, i'll go the oem route. Thanks a ton.

Oh, and yeah, if you get underneath and look up, my metal lines run back into rubber hose that appeared to up through the floor. Perhaps that's what yours might be hanging up on. Good Luck, and wear safety glasses.

Pete
Old 12-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by PDCCD
Well, someone here suggested i just use rubber hose to replace them, and i think due to my salty environment, they may last longer that way, so don't do it on my account after all. But if you do anyway, let me know, if i don't like the rubber hoses, i'll go the oem route. Thanks a ton.

Oh, and yeah, if you get underneath and look up, my metal lines run back into rubber hose that appeared to up through the floor. Perhaps that's what yours might be hanging up on. Good Luck, and wear safety glasses.

Pete
haha thats fine the rubber hoses seem like a better idea but i still am determined to figure it out and ill check under the car today