YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Newbie Tech Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Polyurethane, good or bad

What is confusing me is the good vs bad of polyurethane.

Polyurethane is bad for control arm bushings (unless you're a street racer) because the stock rubber mounts absorb more of the constant off-road shock. That's kind of the feel I get from many threads.

Polyurethane is good for replacing body mounts when you do a bodylift because it helps minimize sway and vibrations.

Polyurethane is bad for anti-sway bar bushings because it resists movement more than rubber, making your truck flex less offroad.

I used some polyurethane on my OME shocks when I installed them and as a result, I can sometimes hear squeaks coming from the back of the 4runner, particularly on rough roads. Will there be more squeaks from the poly body mounts if I replace them?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
1985 pickup std cab 4wd rebuilt 2.4L 22r by Oregon Engine Rebuilders, RV cam, oversize valves, Weber 34 DGEC, 8k on engine,5 speed, OME shocks N93/N85 front/rear, rear diff breather, Durabak interior, Summit proportioning valve, SR5 cluster mod, 3" RB body lift, warn winch brushguard with harbor freight winch, custom rear bumper, FROR floating rear axle with pickup disc brakes all around
navyredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Poly will squeak more than rubber but if you lube them up good with silicone grease (I use dielectric grease mixed with graphite powder) they are fairly quite.

I have poly upper control arm bushings and poly sway bar bushings and poly leaf spring bushings with no squeaks.
93 4X4 ext-cab, auto, SR5, 3.4 V6, supercharged, 2.1" pulley, URD fuel mods, Aquamist WI, IPT valve body mod, dual cases, 4" superlift front, Alcan springs rear, 33 BFG KM2, ARB locked front & rear, 5.29 US Gears, RB 1" Body Lift, TJM T-17, Warn m8000.
mt_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Poly only squeaks when there is motion between the part inside the bushing and the bushing itself. If poly body mounts squeak, that means there is something moving (like the body) and that is not good. With the body mount bolts properly tightened, there should be no squeaks. I've run poly bushing for about 9 years now and never had a single squeak:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#Bushings

Poly is stiffer than rubber and flexes less. Keep the poly greased (I use graphite loaded wheel bearing grease on mine) and it won't squeak. I find it also last longer, I have had a set of rubber spring eye bushings disintegrate in one wheeling trip. Poly bushings last me many years and they seem to flex just fine:

Click the image to open in full size.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2002, arm, bad, bar, body, bushing, bushings, control, good, graphite, mounts, poly, polyurethane, squeak, sway, tundra