Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Optima Batteries at Costco

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Optima Batteries at Costco

Anyone here buy one?
The optima guide comes up with no match for the 99 runner 3.4 V6?
Anyone got a number?

thanks , kenny S>
Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a 34R. If you get the 34 it will have terminal posts ont he wrong side of the battery and require you to mod the factory wires to make it fit.

Best place I know of to get an optima bat is:
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

I rec'd mine really fast and it was also cheaper than what Costco and Auto Zone wanted for them.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's a really good link! I've looked on the AF Base and they were $125 w/o tax, military. Sears wants an arm and a leg. The post has a very limited selection and doesn't carry the one that I need, a 25 series (94 p/u 22RE). I've seen a truck on here with a Yellow Top Optima. It looks like the Yellow is the right one, the ad says it's for winches, powerful stereos, and should still crank a motor after abuse. The Blue Tops are $$$high. I just want an Optima and it oughtta be waterproof. Anyone know about these battery's performance underwater? And, how long is twice as long as conventional batteries? These last ten years?whoa--
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

I'm retty sure that putting a battery underwater would discharge it (water is a conductor, and putting it underwater would connect both terminals) and probably damage the battery.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:10 PM

I would actually recommend buying it straight from Toyota. It was cheaper than buying a battery online, and it's got enough CCAs to turn over in -45C no problem.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Caffeine
I would actually recommend buying it straight from Toyota. It was cheaper than buying a battery online, and it's got enough CCAs to turn over in -45C no problem.
Unless I am misunderstanding you, I'm pretty sure that Toyota doesn't sell Optimas. The big pro to Optima battery is their durability, shock resistance, and longevity. Sure you pay more for em, but they have 3 year free replacement. Cost factored in, the Optimas are better overall than the standard acid battery.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:20 PM

I'm talking about a Toyota battery (or whatever battery Toyota puts its brand on). I know optimas are the coolest thing since seafoam on yotatech -- but in the three toyotas I've owned, the batteries have all lasted 10+ years.

I'm sure optimas are great -- but I'm just throwing an idea out there that is often overlooked.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:41 PM

i got the costco yellowtop. it was not the "R" model, and I had to rig one of the the battery cables, not a huge deal. the price was right, and the warranty/locations made me do it.

the yellow has plenty of cca's, and has a deeper cycle if you ever drain your batteries.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 PM

I know optimas are the coolest thing since seafoam on yotatech
LOL ,thats a good comment.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

I'm talking about a Toyota battery (or whatever battery Toyota puts its brand on). I know optimas are the coolest thing since seafoam on yotatech -- but in the three toyotas I've owned, the batteries have all lasted 10+ years.

I'm sure optimas are great -- but I'm just throwing an idea out there that is often overlooked.
I agree. My last toyota I had 9 years and never had a problem witht the battery. The 4runner i have now has the battery in for 5years with no problems.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, they are great for starting and running hi/low beams and a stock stereo. Not so great for winches and extended loads produced by inverters and auxillary lighting.

The reason I upgraded from a nearly new Toyota battery was for the spill resistant nature of the Optima, the case durability, the increased CCA's and the more flexible mounting options in regards to both external dimensions and lug availability.

I have used a 34 Red and currently have a D34M. You will need some very minor tweking to fit a D34M on a stock 3rd gen. Mainly stretching or extending the stock cables and modifying the battery hold down. As mentioned the 34R has the lugs reversed to fit our Trucks.

I purchased my D34M from Costco last year for 150ish.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bk Taco.......

How much was that Battery at Costco?
Was it red or yellow??
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM

I thought the red optima had more CCAs than the yellow, if so, why then is the yellow better?? Anyone knows which model fits the 99 Tacos best??
Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Red Top - you drain it...it's dead...a "starter" battery
Yellow Top - drain it charge it drain it charge it deep cycle battery
Blue Top - HD deep cycle battery

All you have to do is look on the "Optima Battery" website and it will tell you more than you want to know.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM

i had a yellowtop in my 2001 acura integra ls, and i loved it...until 2years after i bought it it went kaput while i was driving, i stopped at a light, and then went to go let the clutch out, and the car shut off...tried to start, click click click...best part about optima, i took it back, and got a full replacement over 2 years later...i loved the battery, i even used it to jump my buddys 6 cylinder all the time...prlly the reason it died lol...def good batteries if you want sealed, deep cycle, higher cold crank, and if you have extra lighting, beefier stereo, etc...i highly recommend them even tho mine quit
Old 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

I picked up a 34R at the website that eric mentioned, arrived at my door free of tax and core charge in less than a week. I would go there.

Wabbit, what do you mean by drain it and its dead. If you drain a yellow top, its gonna be dead too. Deep cycles don't mind being drained all the way but the others do?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by spaugh
I picked up a 34R at the website that eric mentioned, arrived at my door free of tax and core charge in less than a week. I would go there.

Wabbit, what do you mean by drain it and its dead. If you drain a yellow top, its gonna be dead too. Deep cycles don't mind being drained all the way but the others do?
Draining a battery completely is detrimental to it's 'health.' Deep cycle batteries are designed for the purpose of being drained over and over again, so it's OK to do it. Red is a starter battery, meant to start the truck, not run accessories and be drained completely, which will likely affect it's useful life time.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

10 years!?!!?!?! each?!?!?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
10 years!?!!?!?! each?!?!?
Not possible...

Every toyota we have ever had the battery lasted 6 years.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM

I have quite a few things in my 4runner that are "hot" all the time, cb and such are always on. i have left my lights on for more than 4hrs came back out and it started right up. When i go hunting i like to listen to music back at camp and we have had the stero blasting for hrs sith my rear dome on at the same time and still started right up in the moring. my last "regular battery" lost all the water in the cells thus destorying it from one trip hunting (week long hunting trip) because of the abuse off road off camber and washboard roads. this thing has lasted many a hunting trip and i will never own another kind of battery agian. Optima Yellow Top for life yo

Quick Reply: Optima Batteries at Costco