Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions Needed pt.2

Currently, I'm looking at a 97 4-runner (4x4, v6, manual, sr5) w/ around 152,xxx miles on it. The used car dealership where it is at is asking 8500 for it. Which is around where it should be. Surpisinly, I was able to talk my mom down at least to the point I going to start shopping around for a loan. I'm just wondering what all you guys could tell me about 4-runners namely problems, maintance, mpg (which I know that everyone ask). bascially just anything in general that you guys could tell me, including good places to get a loan (what banks, but that probable depends on the area.) Thanks guys and/or gals.

My brother is also currently looking to get rid of 94 chevy pickup and to get a tacoma.

Last edited by wormhole; 11-15-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:06 PM

First off, 4runners and toyotas in general don't have many problems as far as that goes. I think that's why they are so sought after and why they retain their value so well. But if I could do it over i would have held out for a 99-2000 with an E- Locker. Because now I have to put my own locker in. Just something to think about. I paid 11,000 for mine out the door almost 2 years ago and don,t regret 1 penny spent.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Your own bank my be the best bet for a loan. Its easy to shop around online. The 3.4 is a good engine. With the mods I've done I get 22mpg. I have been very happy with mine.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wormhole

My brother is also currently looking to get rid of 94 chevy pickup and to get a tacoma.
Thats the best thing he could ever do.

There are no problems with 98 4runners.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 AM

What mods did you do to get 22 mpg?? Any mods will have to wait as I will be at my spending limit for the time being if I go though with it.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:51 AM

As of right now I've been shopping around for loans and still considering the truck. I looked at it again last night after hours and noticed that the running board on the passenger side has rub and cause a small amount of surface rust (but I should be able to take of that) and it needs new front tires. I probable won't know if I'll be able to act on it yet until I'm able to talk with my parents this weekend but I'm keeping my options opened. Has anyone here had experience with eloan or anything similair to it:

Just a few quick pictures of the truck a little dark it was getting late:

red cirlce is just a small dent:

Old 09-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ive had no problems with my 4runner and i get about 19-20mpg
Old 09-09-2006, 08:22 AM

One bit of advice I can give you is to be patient. Dont be in a big hurry to accept the first loan offer you get. A 22% interest rate isn't worth all the 4-Runners in the world. Save your money, put down a big down payment and save yourself a lot of hassle and join a credit union. They usually have better rates.
There are plenty of 4-Runners out there and there will always be more in your price range. Take the time to shop around.
Mommy and daddy must be pretty cool to buy ya a nifty 4-Runner.
Ryan
Old 09-09-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever you do, do NOT get a loan from Bank of America (this is coming from one of their old employees). They will rip you a new ass hole so fast you won't know any difference, and they charge you one of the highest interest rates on loans then any other bank in the nation. Go with any other bank of BoA. PLEASE!

BTW, nice looking rig.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sdkfz251/7
Mommy and daddy must be pretty cool to buy ya a nifty 4-Runner.
Ryan

My parents have never helped me with anything when it comes to cars.

I'm holding off right now until after I graduate college (3 more months).
Old 09-10-2006, 12:04 PM

No offense meant there buddy.
Ryan
Old 11-15-2006, 03:09 PM

I'm at it again (it never ends with me). This time I looking at a 1999 4-runner with a little over 200,xxx on the clock (mostly highway) same opitions as the one I looked at before minus the sunroof and wood trim but plus a cd changer (standard). This one is a 1999 and it's green needs some buffing in some spots. The dealer had just got it in and hasn't had a chance to clean it (dirty due to dogs it looks like) or even drive it yet so I was the first one.
The 4runner runs fine and sounds good. The only problem that I see is that the abs and check engine light is on (mentioned that to the dealer)so who knows what that is. I don't know just something that I'm thinking about. About 2 weeks ago I test drove a 99 cherokee and I don't know what I was thinking the 4runner is so much nicer.

at that milega what are things to look for

Last edited by wormhole; 11-15-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
One thing, you may have a hard time getting a low interest loan for a vehicle with high milage. At 200k, I would keep looking but that is me. Also before you buy a high milage vehicle, make sure maintainance records are with it, if not keep looking. Don't be in a rush. A good one will come along.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

As far as lenders try Capitial One they have pretty good rates and will 100% finance. Yes you can join a credit union and save some cash you need to know how much a month you can afford to make as a payment! otherwise you will be beating your head bloodie

Also keep your cool about what you are looking at. High milege is ok as long as its been matained well. Don't just fall for the first 4Runner you see. Take your time, look at internet auctions e-bay, auto traders, ect. and don't be afraid to travel to find a good one. Do a carfax report. get the VIN# and run it through car fax. it will tell you if it's on a "salvage title" most lenders don't want to loan money on a salvage title. . Remember IT"S YOUR MONEY!!! don't waist it. You will be wanting to buy "mods," for it so keep your eye open for the best deal for you!!! Also don't be affraid to ask for it to be inspected by a third party mechanic.Especally a Toyota Mechanic. Yes, it will cost you but it will be worth it in the end. Don't buy some ones headache. Most Toyota's are very reliable, but without proper mantance and regular service they willl and can be big expensive trouble. You need to know exactally what is or is not wrong with the 4Runner you are looking at before you start negotioning the price. That being said, you will know how much to offer depending on of the truck needs anything. Show your parents that you are in control of your buying decision, and you might be supprised how much they may help you out in the long run.

Good Luck and Happy looking!!! TJ.

Last edited by Texas Jim; 11-16-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 AM

Again Thanks guys.
This was something that I did on a whim while I was getting my oil changed at the Toyota dealership. Mroe or less I'll probable won't by this onedue to the mileage and the fact that the check engine and abs light was on. So who knows what that is. The guy at the dealership really hasn't had a chance themselves to look at it. So when I got back I mentioned some stuff to them that i noticed. So for the time being my search will continue for either a 1997-99 4-runner or a 01-04 tacoma double cab (I'm torn between the two). I hate to say this to even though I graduating from college my parents have the title to my car even though I bought it and have paid for the repairs and everything for it. (I needed a co-signer when I bought it so that's why they have it)

Time to continue the search (looked at and driven a number of different vehicles already, really haven't found quite what I want yet anyways)
Old 11-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If your car is paid for then have your parents transfer the title to you. Won't cost much and then you can do what you want with it.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

I'll probably get flamed. lol. But I would go for the tacoma! I have an 04 Double Cab Tacoma and I could not be happier, I LOVE this thing. Its wonderful, about 17-19 mpg (I have a HEAVY foot though) No problems whatsoever.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
Whatever you do, do NOT get a loan from Bank of America (this is coming from one of their old employees). They will rip you a new ass hole so fast you won't know any difference, and they charge you one of the highest interest rates on loans then any other bank in the nation. Go with any other bank of BoA. PLEASE!

BTW, nice looking rig.

Given the fact that he is having to talk his mom into it, dont you think he will end up having to get it co-signed to even qualify? Rates depend on credit score..
Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Actually the title is in my name to my car. When I talked to my parents tonight they said that the only reason they are on it is if something was to happen to me and thats all.
Truth be told I probable will not get this one unless they could make me one killer of a deal due to the mileage. I've done searches on ebay and on autotrader. On autotrader I looked at where I used to live and where my parents just moved to in arizona and there are 4runners with less mileage for the same price that they are asking for this one. Heck, the one that I looked at when I start this thread had less mileage than this one. So like I said unless they gave me a killer deal then it probable won't happen.
Just to fill you guys in here is a list of vehicles that I've test driven or driven in the past couple of years. Most of them I test drove and the other two I drove while serving a mission for my church. (2000 until know)

1989 corolla sr5 (first car, hand me done from my brother, who bought a dodge colt that was a piece)
1990 and 91 Jeep cherokee (test drove both almost bought the 91)
2001 Dodge dakota (not bad, drove for 7 months on Navajo Indain Res. while on mission)
2002 Ford Ranger (also drove on reservation and was a piece of crap)
2001 (Toyota Tacoma double cab, test drove, too mush $$$)
1997 and 1996 4 runner (test drove)
1998 and 99 Jeep Cherokee (the 99 was a piece the 98 was okay, test drove)
1997 toyota 4runner (the one at the beginning of the thread, test drove and came close to buying, but didn't)
1999 toyota 4runner (the one I just looked at, test drove)
1998 toyota camry (bought with my own $$$ from pressure from parents and from living in the middle of nowhere)

So as you can see I test driven quite a few cars or driven a few. So I'll :complain: for now.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 PM

Manual transmission 4x4 3rd gen 4runners are hard to come by, keep that in mind. I looked for 6 months before finally getting my tacoma. As far as reliability/maintenance, the 3rz (2.7) is somewhat easier to maintain than the 5vz (3.4). If you get a truck with the 3.4, make sure to change the waterpump when it needs it. Also, try to look for manual hubs (not available on 3rd gen runners, only tacos as far as I know).

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed