Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

No dash light or tail lights.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No dash light or tail lights.

Okay so about a week ago I installed a new system and battery a yellow top altima in my 1987 toyota pickup 2wd. No trailer hitch or aftermarket harnesses atatched. Alright so everything is installed we go to connect the battery and the terminals were tapped backwards, causing the fuse that connects to the hot wire to blow, then causing my amp and head unit to blow out. I replaced those two fuses and everything seems fine to me. Until two days later I get pulled over for no tail lights?? So I go check the dash/ tail light fuse and it is blown, I install a new 15amp fuse and it blows out again? I already changed the relay ( I had a new one lying around) and checked the ground next to the fuse box under the hood, clean the connections- now my gas meter works but still no tail/ dash lights. What could be the problem?? I really want to legally drive my yota at night but I can't ://
Old 10-20-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
If you say you cleaned your ground and it got better. Have you checked your other grounds? There is one on the firewall that goes to the motor. One on the passenger fender that goes to the block. One that looks to go from the ignition to the power steering bracket bolts. Clean and check those and see if that helps. It's easy and should take you no more than 1/2-1 hour. Hope this helps
Old 10-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Thank you! I have work right now so I won't be able until tomorrow, but I will definitely check first thing in the morning, and let you know. Thanks for the reply again!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I dont think I have yet to see one of these trucks that has not had some butchered up wiring some where. First thing I do is go thru and put all the wiring back to the way the factory had it. Remove all the butt connectors, solder all broken wiring and any other issues that you may find. Only real issue I have ever found has been this >>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51746688 everything else has been like you said on your issue.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:34 AM

Mine is the first one I have seen that was OE. Un-butchered. But that being said I am still haveing issues hear and there. 31 y/o wiring gets brittle.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:42 PM

I know these are all old posts,but I'm wondering if anyone ever found the problem. I
have the same problem. No dash lights no tail lights. Fuses good. Not sure about relay but clicks when light switch is turned on. Tried jumping from relay to fuse wire just got hot but still no lights. Hep me Hep me ! Can't drive at night. Thanks
Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 PM

I had a broken license plate light cover that was letting water in and shorting it out. It would pop the fuse but I couldn't see it broken. It wasn't until I put a multimeter on it did I find out it was blown, it seriously looked perfect.

Search this Thread