YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Newbie Tech Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

My parking/headlight switch lights my brake lights up.

I was checking my tail lights and brake lights and noticed when my parking lights or headlights are switched on both filaments on my brake lights light up. So when my lights are on at night, you cant tell when Im braking. I didnt wanna start a new thread but I've searched for hours and havent found anything like this. Something else that dont bother me to much, when my lights are turned off, i can push my brake pedal and my front parking lights come on as well as the back lighting on my instrument panel. Even when my lights are off the brake pedal lights up both filaments. Anyone ever heard of this?? Or did a previous owner do a hack job on my wiring? BTW if it helps this is on a 89 xtra long cab 3.0 A340H. Feel free to PM or email, Heck if ya wanna call me I'd give ya my number. Can u say desparate. Help please and thank you.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

bump Please.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Sounds like it could be a missing/bad ground connection at the brake light sockets or the wrong bulb. Why? The brake and parking lights share a dual filament bulb in that socket and that bulb has 3 contacts, one for brake, one for park and a common ground. Lose the ground connection and the parking light current will find a path to ground via the brake light filament (i'e' they both turn on). And when the parking lights are off, the brake lights find a path to ground via the parking lights. Could also be someone installed a single filament (1156) bulb in there instead of the proper 1157 dual filament type.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 03-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Cool. gives me a place to start lookin. I know the blubs are dual filament, checked that first. 1157 or 2057 are the bulbs but its probably the ground. I just thought its wierd that the dash lights and front parking lights shine when the brakes are applied. Thanks a million
Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I knew the bulbs were dual filament, but i changed them anyway. I put in 2057's. I even changed the brake light assembly with a 90 22re I have that i know for a fact worked. I did notice that there is wiring for trailer lights. Some of the brake light plugs have 2 wires going in to them. I also found a modual under the dash for a remote start system and splices everywhere under the dash and on the tail light wiring on the back end of the truck. I ve got the whole dash taken apart including the steering colum cover looking for shorts and found none. I guess the only thing left is to cut the black tape off the wiring in the back and un hook the trailer lights. What im getting at, the trailer lights short or not would not explain why the all the parking lights (front and both filaments on the back) and the dash lights lit up with the brake pedal engaged. Any more info would be sooooooo greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Yes, disconnect the trailer wiring adapter and see if anything changes.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Gonna do it after work tomarrow. I just got everything back together. Will post up when Im done. Thanx
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

The trailer light harness was the culprit. After endless cutting of black tape and plastic conduit, I got to the point where I could see all the splices and solderless connectors, I cut all the wires that led to the trailer lights, and like a miracle everything worked like new. No more parking lights or dash lights when I press the brake pedal. And only one filament lights up with the brake pedal pressed. YotaTech strikes again. Thanks 4Crawlwer.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
86, brake, current, dual, filament, light, lights, park, pickup, press, remote, start, switch, toyota, trailer, turn