Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

More Power

Old 10-01-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Power

I know this has been talked about. Thinking about putting on Dougs headders. My stock manifolds are just about done.Ihave 3.4 with140,k on it.Ihave the TRD cat back now. A lift and 285s and do not want to regear.Also have AEM brute force intake. Anyone having done this I would like to hear what youthink.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by joec79
I know this has been talked about. Thinking about putting on Dougs headders. My stock manifolds are just about done.Ihave 3.4 with140,k on it.Ihave the TRD cat back now. A lift and 285s and do not want to regear.Also have AEM brute force intake. Anyone having done this I would like to hear what youthink.
Your in about the same boat as me (My t100 has a 3.4 with 147k on it, see signature for mods). Basically, I think your best bet for more power would be to just supercharge it. Header's would give you a minimul gain, that you probably wouldn't see untill the higher rpms. I did headers on my last truck, and it didnt really help untill after about 3000-3500 rpms. Besides that, all they really did was burn up speedo cables and warm my feet up in the winter...of course, that was also a 3.0, and tryin to get power out of that is really

just my two cents...
Old 10-01-2010, 11:48 AM

I thought about the super charger.Just didn't want to go for all the other things that have to go on to support it.Idon't think my stock manifolds havelong for the world.And after reading gdagets site it seemed like he got good results.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you don't put a blower on a 145000 mile engine.

Matter of fact...I wouldn't even mod one with that many miles.

Keep it maintained is your best course of action.

Want more performance.....buy a Mustang or Slomaro.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't Listen to HighLux....a lot of people supercharge high mileage motors (I.E. more than 100,000 miles.) it's NOT uncommon.

other than that though, you won't see much of anything from anything besides a regear.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Putting a blower on a 145000 engine is retarded.

My opinion is just as valid as yours .

Ever even have a blower on a car?

Didn't think so.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

why yes...yes i have...i had a Grand am with the supercharged 3.8L .

had over 200,000 miles on it. grandparents traded it in on their new Hyundai Sonata actually. still see it driving every day.

care to elaborate on why it's "retarded"?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Well....at 145000 miles the rings would be worn some right? So lets just add some more cylinder pressure on top of that now.....poof. Lots off blow by
will inevitably be the result. Not to mention added stress on the rod and main bearings.

Just a bad idea.

Be like giving a 99 year old man 3 rockstars and asking him to run a marathon.

Doesn't anyone have any common sense?

I
Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 PM

the wear on the rings and bearing should be MINIMAL if the motor has been kept in tip top shape.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM

31's got a point. I put a couple of supercharger's on tacoma's and 4runner's out at the dealership. most were at or well past the 100k mark. a fiiend of mine had a 95 with 180k on a supercharged 3.4. You see your point of view is coming from experience based on older american motor's, and frankly, i'd have to agree with you on that. putting forced induction on a 100k+ domestic sound's retarded to me also. the fact is that these motors hold together well. i personally had a 3.0 that made it to just under 300k, on the original rings. the motor isn't what went, i wrecked the truck. i then sold the motor to a buddy who put it in a cheap sand rail and beat the living piss out of it. i've also seen quite a few 200k+ 3.4's, including one that was well on its way past 400k. i'm not saying their bullet proof, im just saying that they hold together better.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 PM

4runners to me never equate to power. Ever.
They are suv's. They have a job to do. A little more power will not help it wheel better....or get better mileage. Whats the point?

Ive had power. Over 500 to the rear wheels in my 04 Mach1. It was set up and built after I blew it up for 700 to the wheels..I just never turned the boost up because I didnt want to sink another 1500 into upgrading the fuel system again. (already did the 03 cobra tank and pumps and a boost a pump.)

I know ALOT about blowers. I have installed several..vortech...procharger...kenne bell...

I know the carnage they can create personally.

Nobody I know would even consider slapping a blower on a high mileage engine. Its just hill billy.

And believe me...145,000 miles...those rings are worn...those bearing are worn...they would have to be. Increased cylinder pressure....would force oil by those rings and overwhelm the pcv system. It would
eventually start smoking on deceleration...
Old 10-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Its just hill billy.
Well then call me a hill billy!

From what your sayin, we come from different experiences, and I can say I haven't seen your position.

But what I can say, is that i've seen the good and the bad of the TRD superchargers. Working at a Toyota dealer allows you to see the good and bad. The bad i've seen come's from people abusing them, ie, throwing alot of boost through them, or staying in the throttle all the time. Of course, that can happen with any vehicle out there. Also from seeing the supercharger kit's i've seen working at the 4x4 shop i currently do, I will say that these superchargers are well designed compared to alot of aftermarket kits. Toyota put alot of thought into it. If left un-molested, or adding a little fuel, like with a URD kit, these superchargers are very good. There are alot of people on here, especially with 3.4 powered 4Runners and Tacoma's, that love them to death. Some are running the stock 5-7 (?) pounds of boost, while others are pushing more. That don't do to bad for these motors.

So like you said in your previous post, you have alot of experience with mustangs, and blowers. I really have NO experience with aftermarket blowers, or mustangs for that matter, aside from getting to drive a '07 GT500 around the parking lot. I'm telling you though, these engines can handle the mild boost from a TRD supercharger.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 PM

Try reading what gadget has to say about them. I've never seen anyone who know's as much as he does about these systems.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm

He now works for these guys, and i've called him multiple times to pick his brain.

http://www.urdusa.com/
Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 PM

You're both right. personally, before i added a blower to an older higher mileage engine, i would simply check a few things. low end wear is one of them. Compression is one. If the engine rattles, smokes, or has any hint of a leaking head gasket, move along. Nothing to see here.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ab_mekanik
You're both right. personally, before i added a blower to an older higher mileage engine, i would simply check a few things. low end wear is one of them. Compression is one. If the engine rattles, smokes, or has any hint of a leaking head gasket, move along. Nothing to see here.
i will admit this is right. i didnt mention, but the toyota master i apprenticed under would always check compression on the supercharged 3.4's that we worked on, or before we put one on.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 PM

obveously "highlix" has no idea what he's talking about he told you to buy a FORD
Old 10-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by joec79
Ya know, I dont know why this just struck me (at 10pm), but what makes you say your stock manifolds are, "just about done". Are they leaking? rusting and falling apart? I dont know if its just me, but the only time I have replaced manifolds on a toyota was for cracking or for an o2 sensor siezed in the manifold...
Old 10-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Whats that supposed to mean?

and please dont call me hilix. Got it?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:04 AM

My manifolds LOOK rusted and i didn't want to wait for a crack.Maybe they would go longer.Living in north east they use some corrosive fluid to work with the salt they spread.It eats metal but i don't know how can you tell about manifolds by looking st the outside.Just trying to be pro active before they develope a problem.My qestion was about dougs headers.Or headers in general.I thouht it would be better to get rid of the manifolds before they rot off.I looked at gadgets site and it got me thinking And if they have to come off say in the next few years why not do it now.Therefore the header quest and who better to ask then the guys on this site.Irespect youre oppinions and expirence.SOOO anybody use dougs headers or any others that are still around for a 2001 3.4 very very!well maintained.I pretty much change things before they go call me crazy!My engine has been pampered! and is in great shape.But don't want to regear or put on a blower.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 AM

Just want to have some ideas.Like when i did the deck mod the tundra brake mod the extended rear breather putting in iridiums.When the suspention got tired a sanoran steel lift.This is the best site around found out about cleaning the TB after it started sticking. Found out about cheking and re placing o2 sensor and so on. You guys got me more pro active then i ever thought i would be . I don't expect to drag race.I still have my 78 trans am 4speed.Just want agreat running motor.Alittle more power from this motor couldn't hurt.I know it's a dog buuut! Has anyone out there put on dougs headers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Power