Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

A lot of play in the steering wheel

Old 02-10-2008, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of play in the steering wheel

While my truck was down do to the motor throwing a rod I went ahead and replaced all the front steering components and ball joints. Now that the motor is rebuilt, I drove the truck to work yesterday and there was still a tremendous amount of play in my steering wheel as well as a vibration at 60MPH which I have learned could be my tires out of balance or flat spotted due to sitting for 2-3 months. I learned I was in need of a steering stabilizer so I ordered one last night.

What else could cause a lot of play in the steering wheel? The control arm bushings have 240,xxx on them, and the steering box may need to be adjusted. Am I on the right track? What do you guys think.

Also when coming out of a turn the rear end kind of sways from side to side a little. I have new coils but they are not installed yet. I may need new shocks all the way around which I plan on doing when I lift it.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-10-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I thought about this all day and decided to save up the money and redo the suspension. I planned on lifting the 4Runner in the near future with BJ spacers and coil spacers, I figured while I got it all apart I might as well replace several things like: upgrade all suspension bushings to polyurethane, install an IFS front truss, 3" panhard bar drop bracket, extended stainless brake lines, 2" BJ spacers, 2.5" coil spring spacers, 3-4" lift shocks, the new coil springs I already purchased, black Crager soft 8 15x10 wheels, 33x12.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires. Total cost $1500.00.

Anyone recommend replacing anything else while im in there? the truck has over 240,000 miles on it so everything is wore out.

Also what else should I do to get more travel and possibly lift out of my suspension?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
For the steering, find the play by having someone sit in the cab and turn the steering wheel slowly back and forth to the point the tires start to move and poke around under the hood looking for where the steering motion stops. That is follow down from the steering wheel to the shaft to the box to the pitman arm, etc. looking for where one part is moving back and forth and the part is hooks to does not move. That point where they connect is where the slop in the linkage is coming from.

Sounds like the rear shocks are worn out, with the rear sway. Might also be worn end link bushings on the sway bars.