Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Looking for bolt size on manual transmission fill plug...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for bolt size on manual transmission fill plug...

My transmission is leaking and was wondering if anyone happens to know the size of the bolt for the filler plug...back half of transmission..
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 PM

so far I've tried 22mm, 24mm, 15/16, 13/16.....and do they even make a 23mm??
Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I am not sure of the size it could be Metric pipe thread of some sort I just bought a bunch at the dealer they were not that expensive.

Make sure to get the washer/gasket that goes under it

That is what does the sealing you don`t need to go crazy tight with these you can break the case or strip the threads.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
What vehicle is this? I'm not sure they're different from year to year... but I suspect that SOME are, ya know?

It IS, in my 87, W56 Trans, knowingly working on the PROPER FILLER BOLT(You're SURE you're on the proper bolt?),...a 24MM bolt.... You want to use a Hex socket, not 12 point, as 12 points tend to strip them more often(especially since you have so little bolt head to work with, RIGHT? Geesh,... not sure why they did that, lol). It can STILL strip with the 6 point... so BE WATCHING for it to start to turn. If it's not been off in a LONG time..... it most definitely can be hard to crack loose... But not so hard that it would take 50# of pressure to break it free, ya know? I Have also loosened them by putting a closed end 6 side 24mm wrench on there... then lightly tapping with a hammer on the other end of the wrench... that way I can SEE if it's moving or just rounding. VERY important not to round this thing off... it can be a PITA at that point.

Best wishes,..... any idea where it's leaking from?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-23-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:01 AM

...a six point 15/16 worked on it...I've only had the truck for about a month and the guy before over filled the tranny....seriously filled it up, he must of filled it from the shifter, so no wonder it was leaking. I think it's leaking from the top of the gear box at the shifter...going to let the gear oil drain from the fill plug till it stops, then it should be good right?...then see if it keeps leaking then go from there...
Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 AM

on my 85 5sp w56 trans it took 2 diff size wrenches , now I thought that was strange any one else have this problem, my transfer case also took diff sizes. oh and shouldn't the magnetized bolts be on the bottom of both the trans and the transfer case , my magnetized bolts were on the side that you add the gear oil

Last edited by rattlers; 08-24-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by buzzthriller
...a six point 15/16 worked on it...I've only had the truck for about a month and the guy before over filled the tranny....seriously filled it up, he must of filled it from the shifter, so no wonder it was leaking. I think it's leaking from the top of the gear box at the shifter...going to let the gear oil drain from the fill plug till it stops, then it should be good right?...then see if it keeps leaking then go from there...
Sure should, Buzz, ..... and that's common for people to do that. Not sure why they don't just look in the HAYNES, EVEN! lol. Says in there, what type oil, what amount, etc. Check to see how much you get out before it levels off. Just curious... But yes, that could cause it to leak in a few places, but usually the gear shifter housing, then drip down all over. However, the Transfer case seals can go out and cause leaks that look to be trans leaks as well. Check the T-case and see if it comes out, strong, like the other.... I'm fairly sure that sometimes, the trans rear output shaft seal can leak and drain right into the T-case. Not sure it can do the opposite(back into the trans,...don't think so, just by how they are set up(trans output is higher than the average point of the t-case).

Best wishes,

Mark

PS> Yes, the bolts on bottom should be magnetic(drain)... But mine are all magenetic... Not sure if that's factory or not, ....got me thinking, lol. Pretty sure mine are all original.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 AM

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I am having some fill plug issues too.

I have a 1987 Toyota pickup 5 speed 4x4. What looks to be the manual trans fill plug on the LH side directly up from the drain plug is a a star plug stamped "Do Not Remove".

There is also what looks like another fill plug further back on the LH side of the transmission closer to the shifter. It is at a higher position.

Should I fill that plug, or should I open up the "Do not remove plug"?

I really appreciate any advice you may have.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by leetom101
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I am having some fill plug issues too.

I have a 1987 Toyota pickup 5 speed 4x4. What looks to be the manual trans fill plug on the LH side directly up from the drain plug is a a star plug stamped "Do Not Remove".

There is also what looks like another fill plug further back on the LH side of the transmission closer to the shifter. It is at a higher position.

Should I fill that plug, or should I open up the "Do not remove plug"?

I really appreciate any advice you may have.
Who knows...any response without pictures is a wild guess.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM

Manual Trans Fill plug says "Do not remove"

The manual transmission fill plug is a star plug and says "do not remove". There is another fill hole further back on the transmission closer to the transfer case. Should i fill using that? Also, do i fill it all the way, or would that overfill. I do have the quantity of oil required, but with the residual fluid in the trans I don't want to overfill... Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Looking for bolt size on manual transmission fill plug...-transphoto.png  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM

"DO NOT REMOVE!" ................ hehehe.... Yeah, sometimes it's confusing... And, as Snobdds mentioned... "PICS help"... You likely have the W56 Trans.... I have an 87 4Runner 5spd which I doubt is much differently equipped/laid out. And, well, I DO NOT remove anything but the drain/fill plugs... This is in the Haynes manual. Also, it's in a PDF of the "Factory Service Manual" in my Signature(the 88FSM is available in there, .... same trans, trust me).

So somewhat answer your question.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you should not remove that, lol... BTW, I'm not laughing AT YOU, ...just reflecting. I asked a similar question on the T-case fill plug...........

I believe it's a 17-19mm sized bolt....... (On the passenger side of the trans, I believe?)>>> It will be next to a little tab that's bolted to the side of the trans that's supposed to hold UP the wiring for the Reverse or 4WD connector. I believe their usually a galvanized color... At least mine is, IIRC.(like a brass or yellowish tint to it. But forget that, LOCATION is key, and ..... IIRC, again, I think it's got a larger flange on it, like a welded on washer, similar to the Crank Bolt)

In the Haynes Manual, it's page 1-25, Illustration "25.1"..... GET A MANUAL, K? It'll save ya LOTS of trouble, even on the trail

Best wishes, .... OH, and USE THE RIGHT FLUID!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 AM

FORGET the STAR Key.... (Torx Bit Bolt)...... The one you want is just left of the 4WD Sensor and retainer Bracket for the wiring.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM

Name:  zzzzzzzzzzTransCheckFillplug.png
Views: 21359
Size:  240.8 KB
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM

PS> I LEFT that uncropped, purposefully... So you could see how important it is to have the FSM downloaded to your computer/tablet,...HECK, CELL PHONE! hehe... You can see, page 25 of how many? YEP, ....1468 PAGES! lol.... As you can see, it's in the beginning of the book under maintenance.... As this should be regular maintenance for ALL Yotalovers.

I wanted to add, I think again, ...... Check your Transfer case fluid as well.... I noticed something a while back..... The rear output shaft seal to the trans joins with the T-case.... they SHARE the shaft, right? Well,...when that trans rear seal goes, or starts to, it can leak INTO the t-case....

I COULD NOT figure out why when I opened the t-case check fill plug.... it was leaking ALL CRAZY for over a quart! FINALLY it leveled out..... First important note of that? MY TRANS WAS NOT TECHNICALLY "LOSING" fluid, hahah... It was HANDING IT OFF to the t-case....

Check plug for the T-case is here..........

Name:  009-11.jpg
Views: 12183
Size:  219.0 KB
Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 AM

Next pic is an example of when your trans might be leaking into the T-case....

Name:  012-5.jpg
Views: 10874
Size:  208.5 KB

In this picture..... Notice how the trans is fairly clean... especially up by the Shifter boot? This is, I THINK, because the transfer case was getting SO OVERFILLED by the leaking trans rear output shaft seal..... that it would pressurize and then just plain leak right out the boot/shifter area of the t-case.

I mention this because it happened QUICKLY, ... and caused sudden and permanent damage to my trans. To this day, I still dry shift into 4th. If you open the t-case fill bolt, and it's POURING out of there for a good 10 seconds?(have a catch pan)..... You've either got a problem with your trans rear output shaft seal.... OR, someone filled the Tcase from the top cuz the bolt was stripped and they didn't wanna seal with time-serting it or whatever.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Thank you for the responses! I have been back and fourth to the truck several more times, and on the RH side of the trans I still can not find any fill plugs. There is an electrical line connected to what may be the fill plug?? Is that it? I couldn't take a very good picture of it, but I will attach what I have. The first picture is backwards, but the 2nd is the correct orientation. The clutch boot is also torn up, and I plan on figuring out how to replace it as well...

Any Idea of why the electrical lines would be attached to this (if it is infact the fill plug), and how I could remove them for the fill...

Thanks Again!!!
Attached Thumbnails Looking for bolt size on manual transmission fill plug...-photo-1-.png   Looking for bolt size on manual transmission fill plug...-corrected-photo.png  

Last edited by leetom101; 10-13-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Pic was backwards
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM

First, the clutch arm boot cover is available at wwww.marlincrawler.com . I think I paid 8$ or so for my new one... Which was eaten up as well(when the slave leaks, it's Brake Fluid... which is VERY corrosive... So that's worth checking to see if your Clutch Master Cylinder in the engine bay is staying full, too, ya know? ) Also, engine oil leaking out the rear main seal and running back down onto the input shaft and then down the clutch goodies and all over the place happens as well.

Hmmmmmm, I'd have to look at your trans... And, it's odd that in the diagram I posted from the FSM.. The clutch slave appears to be on the Driver side, along with the clutch slave... Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure it's on the passenger side of the trans... lemme just go look and snap a pic for ya... YOU DO NOT want to remove anything until I return, ok? (Unless another yotatechie tells ya you're right there>> hahaha)...

ALMOST looks like you might have a trans other than the W56.. BUT, I can't be sure. Lemme go snap a pic, it's better than the PDF any day of the week.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:05 PM

I'M REALLY sorry, LEETOM.... it's on the driver side. Uploading a pic right now.......
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Name:  001-40.jpg
Views: 17886
Size:  230.3 KB

Not sure why the FSM shows the Slave in there... Must be in reference as looking from the TOP? hahaha... Anyway, that's it, driver side... NO plug into it, to answer your question... And it's either 14,17 or 19mm.... Can't remember. Think 17mm.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Thank you very much ChefYota.

I looked abot four more times, and I am still stumped...

The slave and the clutch boot are on the passenger side of my truck. However, there is no place to fill there. The fill plug in your pic is there, but it looks like it never had a hole in it. It looks factory sealed.

On the driver's side of the trans, there is nothing (except the torex "Do not remove" plug). It looks like the same size as the drain plug only torex instead of hex.

What is the function of the fill plug just aft of the transmission that can be seen in my first photo? Do you know if that would go to fill the trans?

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Quick Reply: Looking for bolt size on manual transmission fill plug...