Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

I've looked,searched & cant find..." where do all nuts &bolts go"

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've looked,searched & cant find..." where do all nuts &bolts go"

ok, everyone I was wondering does anyone know of a link or anything to do w the placement of, the sizing of, where they go etc... of the nuts and bolts of my 94 yota pickup 22re?! to help w this question ive torn down my motor to block ie im working on replacing my head gasket, timing cover, timing chain, and all the components, gaskets and or seals therefore!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Short answer: You can go ahead forget that idea. It doesn't work like that.

Bet you wish it did right about now though huh?

Next time, you need to be a little more thoughtful in your disassembly process. As in, you need to remember/make a mental note of EXACTLY where EVERY SINGLE nut and bolt came from. If you expect to be able to find EXACTLY where they all go during reassembly.

Not so good at remembering little details like that? Take some pics, label things, organize the parts and fasteners removed in a way so as to make figuring out where they go later easier.

One thing I do regularly is to put bolts back in their holes/nuts back on their studs after removing the part(s) they previously fastened. I don't lose as many of them that way, and I NEVER have to remember where they go(they're already there).

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-09-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 AM

zip lock bags and a sharpie are your friends!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ziplocks, painters tape and a marker will save you so much time. Take the extra time to label stuff that isn't obvious and it will all go back together nicely. You can use a digital camera too if you can't remember where the components go. If you don't know what it is, just number the item and hardware. Organize the disassembly so you don't have to kick yourself later. I used to work next door to a mechanic and he HATED when people brought in stuff they took apart with no organized thought to be reassembled when they got in over their head.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM

I hear ya all agree w you all and tried my best doing so... iv got them all in lil containers or boxes etc. I did put the ones that could go back in place there but cant do so w all... a side note to this all is that iv got a garage bigger than most ppls house but cant hardly walk in it much less work on a vehicle in it! (rents are biggest pack rats n or hoarders, god helpem but just cant get away from that said no doubt) w that said iv got a lil section set aside for me my parts and accessories, but I know where a good portion ofem go but def not all ofem ie like for instance w the timing cover or oil pump some bolts are real close in size but ya.... idk but again I do know what, how, where your all coming from and again agree w it also, but is there maybe a schematic diagram part list(s) etc... or link or site that I could look at and relate to it w what iv got going on w the part #s or pics and or sizes etc. ok but if not I do appreciate all your incite or input therefore and so next time il have all your thoughts or what all you've said in back my head "slow down, organize, layout accordingly"!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 PM

I printed out a picture of the timing cover, taped it to a shoe box and as I took the bolts out, I punched them through the picture in their appropriate places. Doesn't really help if you already mixed them up though.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I pretty much just throw all but the special bolts and hardware away .

Install all new

If you go to put a bolt back in and it bottoms out it is to long .

I guess putting things back is easy I never really pay attention to things like that

I guess for some it is hard

Only about 4 sizes you really have M6 x1.00 M8 x1.25 M10 x1.25 M12 x1.25

plus some bigger ones in the suspension
Old 06-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Not on the timing cover, some of the holes go all the way through and interfere with moving parts behind the timing cover.
Or you can get not enough thread engagement and strip your hole out.
It's easy to put it back together, but it won't necessarily be correct.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Like I said some people have trouble with this .

Doing it the first time one should pay attention .

like doing rear brakes one gets all excited pulls both sides off only to be clueless as to put them back on.

How do you handle all the extra gears when your rebuilding a transmission because your boss put a few extra in the parts washer to keep you sharp.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy

One thing I do regularly is to put bolts back in their holes/nuts back on their studs after removing the part(s) they previously fastened. I don't lose as many of them that way, and I NEVER have to remember where they go(they're already there).

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

"As Many," I like that

LilRex -

Get the FSM (Factory Service Manual). That will tell you what sizes and torque specs you need for every bolt and nut. Im pretty sure its posted for download somewhere on YT. If not, google is your friend.

And pay more attention next time

Last edited by slo6i; 06-10-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM

Things like this sadden me/piss me off. My brother does this all the time. He takes crap off of his car and throws all the hardware around and then they either get kicked around on the floor and eventually get lost or he just flat out forgets where they go.

TAKE PICTURES!! BAG AND TAG! BAG AND TAG!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM

i found a link that may help myself as well as others who may be in need of this pic including the timing cover and the bolt sizes i believe, and, plz do correct me if im wrong cuz im gona take this and go w it?!

http://www.lcengineering.com/LCInstr...ware%20Kit.pdf
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Looks good to me, though I havent torn into my motor yet. (Thinking it needs a clutch soon so I will probably just rebuild it while I'm at it. Some seals are leaking...)

lilrexracer, check your PM's.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:35 PM

im really thinking about compiling a complete bolt kit for a 22r, with labels and pictures of where it all goes, you guys think anyone would buy it?, i know i have encountered many a fugly bolt during my rebuild
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Depends on the price of it. For my quad if

I find the right price for a bolts kit that doesn't suck I grab it. But with a toy to get the right bolts it won't be cheap to sell.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM

I'm gonna let you in on a secret... This is a time honored method I've learned from a long line of men that 'don't need no stinkin assembly instructions'. It can be applied to assembly/ or reassembly.

1. Sort all of your fasteners, group them up by size, diameter, appearance or anything else that is a defining feature.
2. count each type of fastener, Look for components that are held on or have threads for the exact number of a given fastener type
3. sometimes you'll find multiple components that use the same fastener if all the numbers add up they're probably the same
4. other times you'll find parts that take multiple different types of fastener these can be a pain to work out, but once you eliminate other parts/fasteners the logic gets easier.

5. don't ever assume you were right; be ready to back up and swap fasteners to make the puzzle fit together.

I used this method to re-assemble a completely disassembled 22r-e that I got off of my brother. The only spare parts I had left were ones that I didn't want to re-use so I went out and bought replacements.