Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

IFS capable???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS capable???

Im just wondering how capable is IFS anyways how does your guys IFS runners n trucks hold up on the trails with a lift and good tires??? So far my 4 runner stock has taken me most places I needed to go but how capable can it really be with say a lift tires and some lockers??? Im ordering my lift this week !!!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Capable enough

Old 02-27-2009, 10:14 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Try using the search feature. There is plenty of info there for ya on all different year rigs.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 AM

ifs

almost every time i have wheeled with lifted ifs rigs with a locker in the front, ive seen a busted front axel. All of my friends have now swaped to solid axels with longfields. the front axel is far more likely to break if its locked. You can have a very capable ifs rig with just a locker in the rear that will hold up to some pretty serious trails.

thats just my experience, we wheel some pretty hardcore trails
Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 AM

Im not really looking for info on any particular rigs just wondering how capable IFS really is without doing LT or somthing like that just a lift tires and lockers...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Please see the recent announcement regarding searching as this thread is a prime example of just not searching.

If you are not going to search then post your threads in "Newbie Tech" as this one has been moved accordingly.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Master80
almost every time i have wheeled with lifted ifs rigs with a locker in the front, ive seen a busted front axel. All of my friends have now swaped to solid axels with longfields. the front axel is far more likely to break if its locked. You can have a very capable ifs rig with just a locker in the rear that will hold up to some pretty serious trails.

thats just my experience, we wheel some pretty hardcore trails
Totally opposite of my experience.

Front lockers save CV's. They keep the shock load down. I've never broken a CV with my front locker.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Totally opposite of my experience.

Front lockers save CV's. They keep the shock load down. I've never broken a CV with my front locker.
What locker do you have up front?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:14 PM

So would it be wise to lock the front and back or just back??? I have heard you lose handling with locking the front and im confused on how lockers work their are so many kinds air lockers and all other types... Is straight axle really that superior for wheeling???
Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 PM

I have decided on doing a SAS I know its expensive but I think for what I plan on wheeling in and where I hunt its a good thing I broke a bunch of crap last deer season while my dads Straight axle yota walked on by... I know I can do a lot with lockers and a lift but I have decided a SAS is for me I have searched and read through quite a bit but cant find much about doing it on a 98 I know I need to run a different axle and what not is there somewhat of a guide for doing this to my year?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Check out ttora my friend, its mainly tacos over there but there are plenty early model tacos and even tundys that people are sasing, Not to mention mossyrocks 4runner. The link to TTORA is in my sig. Also, Pirate4x4.com has some sweet build, But please, unless you feel really ballsy and have thick skin dont ask this type of question. As for TTORA, Just look around on builds and get an Idea of what you'd like to do, Sasing on our rigs are a bit more expensive then on an older model though. so be prepared to spend 4k if ya want to do it right.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got IFS and I go placed guys with solid axles and 35's won't go, but I'm also locked in the rear and I don't give a about body damage, and I will wind that sum' biatch to seven grand if I got to. It may be IFS, but its still Toyota Tough. Its pretty capable.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:58 AM
kev

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plow snow with my 87 4x4 here in Michigan. My Yota is bone stock with the exception of some BF Goody 31x10.5 on 15" rims.No lift. I like the way the IFS has handled the plow. I have had this rig for 2+ years and I am not selling it! I have dragged and pushed some serious weight with this old, rusty and ........TRUSTy (our) TOYOTA truck!
1980 2WD 20/22r frankenmotor: Heddman header-cam-2 & 1/4" exhaust-5 speed-long bed-D&D carbon fiber muffler-Eagle Alloy-Cooper Cobra
Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Capable enough
x2

My lack of willingness to take body and glass damage limits my trail selection FAR more than the front suspension.

Breakage is often more related to driver technique than equipment. The only time I've broken front axles I can't exactly blame the truck ... bad line, compound low, and hard on the throttle.

My suggestion would be to do a rear locker and some armor/skids before locking in to a SAS. You will be amazed at the increase in the capability of the trck, and then if you decide that you NEED a SAS for the kind of 'wheeling you do, you haven't spent a dime on stuff that will be cut off.

Last edited by tc; 02-28-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 AM

I know I will be surprised on what it can handle but I think going straight axle is the best solution for the country we hunt/wheel in theres a reason everyone thats back there has a straight axle... Thanks scuba I think Ill check out that TTORA site im trying to find more info on 3rd gen SAS man It will be sweet...
Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably two reasons:
- the fullsize truck they are using came with it
- they read on an off-road forum that you need a SFA if you take your truck offorad

Last edited by tc; 02-28-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup i seen ifs tracker and zuk sidekicker WALK ALLL OVER solid axle toyotas and jeeps...
and they were mostly stockers with lockers n muds
Old 02-28-2009, 04:05 PM

I say learn how to drive on IFS and if you think you need to get it go SA then.......... Learn to drive first.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:10 PM

No its very tuff country the people the people im referring to I know personally as it is on private land They all have yotas with a exception of one jeep including my dad grandfather and uncle Its real tuff country they are not idiots who see straight axles and say they want one and I take offense to that. My grandfather owned a mechanic shop that specialized in toyotas so he knows his stuff he just doesn't know much about the SAS swap on a 3rd gen... and I know a Straight axle would perform way better out there. Most parts I wouldnt dream of taking a IFS through... Lifted and locked may do wonders but I don't believe it will suffice for me and I think the SAS is for me just having a hard time finding the info for a 98 4 runner...
Old 02-28-2009, 04:12 PM

I know how to drive I grew up on those roads in my dads 4 runner and I don't want to waste the money because I know I will end up going SA and You cant get half the money for selling that stuff used...

Quick Reply: IFS capable???