YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Newbie Tech Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

hard to shift into 1st gear

So I have an 85 efi 4x4.
I drive it around town and on the freeway.
It has 255k on the trans. It shift good through all gears doesnt
pop out of gear at all. The problem is went I come to a stoplight.
I make a complete stop. Tranny is in neutral. I go to put it in 1st and
it seems like it doesnt want to go. I shift to 2nd then back to 1st and it
goes in.

Can anyone answer my why and do I have a problem.

thank
Tcop
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mine never wants to go into first or reverse unless im at a complete stop. and than sometimes reverse still wants to give me trouble.. other than that its great
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

syncros are probably going out, trany will still work. just hard to get into gear unless at just the right rpm and mph.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mine has the exact same problem, i just learned to live with it.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Try replacing the shifter seat and bushing, that should help the shifting problem your having. Marlin Crawler sells these parts and there better quality than oem.

Solid Axle Swap, 5'' lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR`s, Trail Gear High Steer, 5 speed manual swap, InchWorm Duel Cases, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5'' Trail Gear Springs In Front, 27 Spline Chromoly Axles In Front, 4.88 Gears, Detroit Locker In The Rear, High Pinion Front With An ARB, Downey Header, AFM Upgrade, 95 Amp Alternator, Trail Gear Sliders, Addicted Offroad Front Bumper.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

sorry to bring back, mine is doing the same thing, did you find out what the problem was ?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Most of the higher milage trans do this. Going to 2nd then 1st always works for me.

Possible bandaids other than major trans repairs include good synthetic trans flux, making sure your clutch system is performing properly and fully disengaging and changing the seat bushing.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

My 87does this as well... Wonder if its a problem with high mileage tranys?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to toyota4x4907
I seem to remember my '93 having this problem starting around 120K miles.

My '88 4runner (206K miles) I had to do the 2nd gear shift to get it into 1st gear about 50% of the time.

Now, my '95 4runner (147K miles) has been the worst. Has done it since I bought it at 126K miles. Pretty much refuses to go into 1st or reverse without 2nd first.

Its just second nature to shift it into 2nd then 1st/reverse for me now, on any manual trans. Dont think its strictly high mileage issue.
2000 Tundra Ex-cab| 2UZ-FE| 140K miles| SR5 TRD|2" front spacers|315/75R16 Cooper STTs with 1.25" wheel spacers| 2.5" exhaust| Custom armor | bobbed frame| custom flat bed| Dedicated off-roader in the works.
'95 4runner|22re|5spd|157K miles| 2" BL| 33x12.5 m/t |anti-sway bars removed f/r| Warn manual hubs| PaceSetter header| 2.25" exhaust| Custom front bumper, 4xInno sliders|Rebuilt engine| Sold
'88 4runner|22re|5spd|206K miles|Sold
'93 single cab|22re|5spd|150K miles|Sold
Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Have you tried double clutching? My 90 Pu only won't go into first when the fast idle is kicking in. When it idles normal, no problems most of the time.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Have you tried double clutching? My 90 Pu only won't go into first when the fast idle is kicking in. When it idles normal, no problems most of the time.
double clutching in my 89 (transmission from an 87) wont do it. 2nd then to 1st sort of does, but sometimes it plain refuses and i have to beat it into first gear. reverse grinds but i just hit it in fast and it goes. i always double clutch and it has no effect for me. also, the bushings are brand new from toyota installed this year. im starting to get worried though that one day ill get locked out of first entirely. my 86 does this also. i make it a habit to get down into first gear while im rolling.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1st, 30, 4runner, chevy, gear, hard, harder, neutral, pops, shift, shifting, speed, stopped, toyota, truck