Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

First gen - IFS lift install questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First gen - IFS lift install questions

Starting this Pro Comp stage 3, 4" lift install on my first gen, never done it before and just following these printed instructions. I know enough to get myself into trouble about these things so I figure I'm better off biting the bullet and asking my stupid questions here, rather than hurting myself or breaking something... So here goes..

(background) purchased this kit off a guy that pulled it off his same year/model runner. It's been installed before and got it partially assembled with a couple boxes of nuts and bolts, etc. I've gone over the instruction manual and measured and accounted for all the parts (I think) and have it laid out on the garage floor.

I'm working off the printed instructions located here

So I am at the 3rd step removing the front cross-member from the mounting bracket. This is my front crossmember

Am I to just simply assume that my front differential needs to be un-bolted from the mount and supported by a jackstand during the removal of the cross member or am I simply missing something all together?
Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 PM

I think I figured it out

So I downloaded the rough country version of this kits install manual, pretty much the exact same brackets and everything, a much better installation guide on Rough Country's part. Photos with detailed descriptions vs the vague illustrations and lack of instruction on Pro Comps install manual..

I guess its experienced mechanic (pro comp) vs beginner (rough country)

I suppose they left out the obvious parts like removing the CV joints and dropping the front diff, etc..
Old 10-01-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No I think it's an older established brand, vs new trendy brand.

Do you have a copy of the FSM? Download one and review each step there to learn extra detailed info you may be missing. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
No I think it's an older established brand, vs new trendy brand.

Do you have a copy of the FSM? Download one and review each step there to learn extra detailed info you may be missing. Good luck.
Yeah I have a copy, I think my main problem is visualizing where these parts to the lift will be going once its all said and done.. having not worked on steering and front end stuff except brakes and rotors makes it hard to get a grasp on. I'll just plug along. Good thing it's a project and not a dd vehicle
Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 AM

Is there a way to slide the inner cv axle off the diff while still attached to the disc assembly?