Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine rebuild

My 89 3.0 is locked up, dumped all her oil and is now seized up. I am not in a position to buy a new engine or truck so my only alternative is to rebuilt it. I am a wind turbine technician so I have plenty of mechanical and electrical background, I just need to know where to get started. I have my Chilton's manual and just about any tools I would need. Also any suggestions on which rebuild kit to get would be nice.
I love my yota and don't want to give her up, she has given me a lot and I'd hate to put her down before her time.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a lot threads on this subject. Just my opinion, but you might want to start tearing down and accessing. You said it dumped oil and seized. Possible cracked block Before you buy a rebuild kit I would just find out if any main components are damaged. Good luck
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Thank you ksti, good point I will check that right away. no point in fixing something that is unfix-able.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 PM

the chiltons manual is a joke don't waste ur time with that thing check out north carolina ttora (not tryin to rep another site im in no way affiliated)they have the factory service manuals posted just search ncttora fsm and it should pop. but if you can find one do the 3.4swap its a way better route if u can find one for cheap i recently picked up a 3.4 with 120k and all the goodies for $1000 bucks.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 PM

whoops! sorry just checked out that site i gave you. ive used it a bunch of times and now it says they've recieved a take down notice guess im searching for a new manual now.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 AM

3vze fsm

Here is one of the only FSMs left online for a 3vze. Its for a 93 but itd the same as an 89 http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html

Download: http://web.archive.org/web/201101022.../1993/1993.zip
Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

:wabbit2: Bottom line how much of a budget do you have??

Just what happened that you ran this out of oil it seems you kept driving till it seized up .

the engines most often seize up from getting hot from lack of lubrication or loss of coolant.

Crank at the least.new or turned depending how bad.

Did you crack a head or both.

how many miles on the engine?

are the cylinders worn oval enough to need boring of the block and new pistons.

time for a new timing belt?? Clutch while the engine is out.

Do you have all the needed measuring devices to measure all the critical parts.

You can`t order parts till you see just what size parts you need.

Till you get all done with this it is gonna get expensive !!be just plain misguided not to replace the hoses and stuff if it is to that point.

not to mention the cracking and breaking of sensors..

This is a call only you can make.

The Goat herder and i had a conversation and we both feel anyone who puts money into a 3.0 is misguided putting it mildly .

you might be better off getting cheap transportation and do this as time and money permits:wabbit2:
Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MGM719
Here is one of the only FSMs left online for a 3vze. Its for a 93 but itd the same as an 89 http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html

Download: http://web.archive.org/web/201101022.../1993/1993.zip
Awesome! Thanks, very helpful.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
:wabbit2: Bottom line how much of a budget do you have??

Just what happened that you ran this out of oil it seems you kept driving till it seized up .

the engines most often seize up from getting hot from lack of lubrication or loss of coolant.

Crank at the least.new or turned depending how bad.

Did you crack a head or both.

how many miles on the engine?

are the cylinders worn oval enough to need boring of the block and new pistons.

time for a new timing belt?? Clutch while the engine is out.

Do you have all the needed measuring devices to measure all the critical parts.

You can`t order parts till you see just what size parts you need.

Till you get all done with this it is gonna get expensive !!be just plain misguided not to replace the hoses and stuff if it is to that point.

not to mention the cracking and breaking of sensors..

This is a call only you can make.

The Goat herder and i had a conversation and we both feel anyone who puts money into a 3.0 is misguided putting it mildly .

you might be better off getting cheap transportation and do this as time and money permits:wabbit2:
Budget is very limited at the moment, but I have no other way to get around really. Few hundred bucks.

Not sure exactly what happened yet. No oil on the ground at work or at home, so it wasn't over time. When I got it back to the shop I checked and the dipstick was bone dry. Lots of oil all around the engine though looks like maybe came from the front and worked its way back to the transmission.

Not sure if block is cracked atm, like i said its very messy. i am currently pulling the engine right now, I will clean it up and inspect it once its out and i can get a better look.

I scored a 92 3vze that's in good shape. Only 180k on it, needs a head gasket replaced though. I ordered a set today. the seized up engine has 280k on it, so I'm hoping I can get another 25-50 at least out of this other engine.

I wish i had the time and money to swap for something else but right now swapping whats already in there seemed like the best option for me at the moment.

I am taking LOTs of pics so if this goes well and I get her running again I will be posting them.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Be nice to know where you are help could be at hand and we would never know!!

Good luck

I hope you got the head gasket one for scrap price.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Be nice to know where you are help could be at hand and we would never know!!

Good luck

I hope you got the head gasket one for scrap price.
I payed $200 for the engine, idk how good of a price it really was. he said it ran fine, gasket wasn't "blown" per say just leaked in the back left. typical from what i've read. Gonna replace it anyway while its out and easier to work on.

I'm in IN so if you get bored drive on over! lol