YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Newbie Tech Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Difference between 4 Runner and Landcruiser?

Hello,
I have been looking at early to late 1990's 4 Runner SR5 and Landcruisers to purchase for my wife. What is the difference between the 2 besides style... I want to get the most reliable and solidly built SUV for my wife, there is quite a bit difference in cost between the 2 vehicles.
Anyone help me out here?

Thanks,

Rick
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (19)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
EVERYTHING is different.

Engines
Trannys
Axles
Comfort
Size
Reliability

everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

The 4runner will get better gas milage. The 4runner will get maybe 16-18. The landcruiser maybe 10-13. The landcruiser will have a 3rd row seat. The 4runner doesnt. What are you looking for in the vehicle? The Landcruiser has alot more luxury.
"
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Last edited by jct61765; 04-03-2007 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

mid 90s landcruisers are not v8 they are straight 6 cyl.ck out IH8MUD.com for Lancruiser info
Old 03-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gus310
late 90's lc and 4runner can be had with a 6 cyl motor, ifs and failry comfortable, there is a bigger aftermarket and more people modding the 4runners, but without more info on what you need out of them, people are going to throw their opinions at you instead of facts.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Wife needs reliability, would like to use on occasion to tow 15' inflatable (only weights about 350# with motor) so I don't have to use my truck for taking the boat out for a day
Mostly will be daily driver for wife... needs good 4x4 for winter driving.. we get snow, sometimes alot..
Just wanted to know mostly what the major differences were between the two... there is a big price difference

Rick
Old 03-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Based on those requirements I would say your best bet is an 00-02 4Runner with traction control and center diff lock. Excellent performer in the snow and will tow that light boat no problem.

1998 4Runner SR5
Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.

2006 VW Jetta TDI- 50mpg highway cruiser
Old 03-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (19)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus310 View Post
late 90's lc and 4runner can be had with a 6 cyl motor, ifs and failry comfortable, there is a bigger aftermarket and more people modding the 4runners, but without more info on what you need out of them, people are going to throw their opinions at you instead of facts.
you;re sorta correct.

The 6cyl in the 4runner is not the same as the land cruiser. First off, LC's had an inline 6 motor, which ranged in size from 4.0 to 4.5L. The 3rd gen 4runners had a V6 3.4L engine.

All 80 series landcruisers had the inline six. They also all had solid front axles.

With the advent of the 100 series, came IFS and a V8.

There is NO option for an american spec I6 landcruiser with IFS, or an V8 landcruiser with a straight axle, or They were never made those ways.

FJ-100: V8,IFS, FJ-80: I6, Solid axle

and for reference, all USA landcruisers from 1988 (I think, perhaps 89) were automatic. There is NO option for a 5Sp 80 or 100 series cruiser in america.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via MSN to gilby4runner
Looked at a 97 cruiser before i got the 4runner. It was nice and seemed to have a lot more room. I drove it around for a day and noticed the gas guage moved to E very quickly.... They are both nice SUV's. I am happy that i went with the 4Runner

2012 4Runner- wifes daily

1998 Tacoma- Old Tinted Windows, a can of seafoam and Stock Steelies w/245/75/16 MT's
Old 04-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to colsoncj
I would agree with a runner is your best bet...
Eastern OK, Western/Northern AR, Southeastern KS, or Southern MO area: OZARKS 4ROC Click Here

03 Chevy 3500 Duramax Dually - Tow Rig
No wheelin rig at the moment, but do have a:
'11 Polaris RZR EFI EPS
Old 04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
100, 4runner, 87, axle, cruiser, diff, difference, fj, lancruiser, land, landcruiser, room, size, solid, space