Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

CEL on Camry

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CEL on Camry

my buddy has run with a CEL for a couple of years now... something about an Idle air control or some crap... welll stupid MO emissions inspection wont pass the car becaue the CEL is on dispite the fact it would pass a "tredmill tailpipe sniff test"

so does anyone know if you can clear the CEL codes like you can in the trucks by pulling the PCM fuse and a 10 count? (and or the bat cable?)
Old 06-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I don't know what year your friend's camry is but the 'check engine light' comes on every 5000 miles in my wife's camry and my tacoma. Can't find the owners manual but to reset it I think it is something like turn the key on, but not to the point it starts the car, push the odometer button in, you will see 5 dashes and than it slowly goes down to one and than the CEL is out. It sometimes comes on due to a loose gas cap too or due to the some crap you described. Pulling the fuse is not the recommended way, but it will probably do it. Autozone or Napa should also be able to clear the code too though it probably wouldn't hurt for your bud to replace the bad part indicated by the code. Long winded newb answer too I suppose....
Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well here's the problem with clearing your code. Most likely if your inspector is checking codes/looking at the light he is also checking the monitor status of the ECM. If you have a problem then the light will stay out after clearing the code but only until that particular monitor runs again. Now here's the kicker, in most states they also check the monitor status for all critical engine controls. If the monitor hasn't run before you get to the inspector most likely he will refuse to test your vehicle. This keeps people from doing what you are talking about. So basically if your light is on you will most likely have to fix the problem. The only thing I'm not sure about is if your state requires a monitor status check.

Good luck!

Last edited by bwhyit; 06-19-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I don't know what year your friend's camry is but the 'check engine light' comes on every 5000 miles in my wife's camry and my tacoma. Can't find the owners manual but to reset it I think it is something like turn the key on, but not to the point it starts the car, push the odometer button in, you will see 5 dashes and than it slowly goes down to one and than the CEL is out. It sometimes comes on due to a loose gas cap too or due to the some crap you described. Pulling the fuse is not the recommended way, but it will probably do it. Autozone or Napa should also be able to clear the code too though it probably wouldn't hurt for your bud to replace the bad part indicated by the code. Long winded newb answer too I suppose....
This is not a CEL, this is your maintence required light. you should be resetting this every time your oil is changed.

Snap, most OBD-II cars will require more then 10 seconds with the fuse out. It is worth it to go to Checker/Cragens/whatever to get the code checked. they are not supposed to fail you if the code is not related to emmisions(tranny code). What year is the Camry?