Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter

First post...I have a 01 4runner with about 74,000 miles on it all it has done to the engine is a magnaflow exhaust and a super charger.. I just changed a o2 sensor. It runs great but when you gas it, It bogs down (like a slight back fire). Sometimes i even get the sulfur smell..Have any of you had to change a Catalytic Converter on a 3rd gen or had the same type of problem?

Last edited by shonuff; 01-25-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow...

1st welcome

2nd there are a LOT of discussions on what you MUST do (as it seems) if you have or are going to have a supercharger....

3rd search theres a "search" feature on this forum

just browse around for a while, you'll soon see

(mods: why doesnt the search button blink yellow anymore?)
Old 01-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so... if you have a supercharger... it puts a little more air into your engine, especially when you "gas" it, which is really an ironic term... so when you apply the throttle, the engine raises in RPM's spinning supercharger, putting in a lot more air, what about gas though? Do you have any modifications for more gas? like bigger injectors or the 7th injector kit? what about tranny? hope this gives you a few things to search for or ask about

also, go here http://www.urdusa.com/ seems to be the cool place to shop if you have a supercharger
Old 01-25-2007, 06:20 PM

Yea i did search for Catalytic Converter. But no matches.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by shonuff
Yea i did search for Catalytic Converter. But no matches.
Im thinking my coverter is getting clogged??
Old 01-25-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
so... if you have a supercharger... it puts a little more air into your engine, especially when you "gas" it, which is really an ironic term... so when you apply the throttle, the engine raises in RPM's spinning supercharger, putting in a lot more air, what about gas though? Do you have any modifications for more gas? like bigger injectors or the 7th injector kit? what about tranny? hope this gives you a few things to search for or ask about

also, go here http://www.urdusa.com/ seems to be the cool place to shop if you have a supercharger
Sorry...When i floor it this happens.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Classic case of fuel starvation. You need $1000 in fuel and timing mods and you also need a Valve Body upgrade to save your tranny.

www.gadgetonline.com after you read there for a while and search this forum, feel free to fire away any additional questions. If you don't want to spend $3000 on mods to make it run right, pull the charger off and sell it. Seriously.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Classic case of fuel starvation. You need $1000 in fuel and timing mods and you also need a Valve Body upgrade to save your tranny.

www.gadgetonline.com after you read there for a while and search this forum, feel free to fire away any additional questions. If you don't want to spend $3000 on mods to make it run right, pull the charger off and sell it. Seriously.
How did it run smooth a few mounths back w/ all the same parts on it? Some people think its a air flow sensor too... Should i just take it to a dealership and have toyota check it out??
Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Have an OBDII scanner hooked up at Autozone for free. Even if the CEL is not on it might have some codes stored.

OK, so the problems you are experiencing could be related to another issue, but you are running WAY lean regardless. You really need to get the tuning/fuel mods on there to eliminate damaging your engine further. It's a game of roulette otherwise. There are stories of blown engines and smoked trannies on this forum. We are trying to save you from future hurt that's all.

There has been a plethora of research done on the running too lean issue, so the work has been done. Now we are just telling you what you should do based on that data and the experiences of others. The tranny upgrade is just as crucial. You really need to do that as well.

First thing I would do in your case is pull the plugs and have a look. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you had EGT's so high that a plug or two was completely shot, causing the problem you are describing.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe your EGTs are so high from running too lean it melted the inside guts of your cat. A good muffler shop can test for clogged cat pretty easy by measuring the back pressure before and after the cat. That would be a good case scenario, the bad case scenario is something like this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/3-4-rebuild-100924/
Old 01-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Hey thanks for the tips guys. What parts do you guys recomend for the cat or if i need fuel up grades....?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey thanks for the tips guys. What parts do you guys recomend for the cat or if i need fuel up grades....?
Cat: $56 delivered: http://search.ebay.com/Carsound-Magn...ytic-Converter

Fuel... try searching on "SMT" or "FTC1" or "SC fuel" or read the URD (and gadgetonline) page that Christian pointed you to, or find one of the other dozen threads talking about supercharger fuel upgrades (easy to find if you look for posts from me, Christian or Mastacox (Brian)).

You're looking at
  • 315cc Injectors
  • Fuel/timing controller (Split Second FTC1 or Perfect Power SMT6)
  • Walbro fuel pump
  • Deckplate mod
  • TrueFlow or Amsoil air filter
- or -
  • TRD 7th injector kit
  • Walbro fuel pump
  • Deckplate mod

Last edited by midiwall; 01-26-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Cat: $56 delivered: http://search.ebay.com/Carsound-Magn...ytic-Converter

Fuel... try searching on "SMT" or "FTC1" or "SC fuel" or read the URD (and gadgetonline) page that Christian pointed you to, or find one of the other dozen threads talking about supercharger fuel upgrades (easy to find if you look for posts from me, Christian or Mastercox (Brian)).

You're looking at
  • 315cc Injectors
  • Fuel/timing controller (Split Second FTC1 or Perfect Power SMT6)
  • Walbro fuel pump
  • Deckplate mod
- or -
  • TRD 7th injector kit
  • Walbro fuel pump
  • Deckplate mod
Thanks what has the lower cost 315 cc set up or the 7th injector set up...? I know the 7th injector kit is around $1200 plus... maybe my tax refund project..
Old 01-26-2007, 01:42 PM

I hope its just the cat for now i have welder hook ups around here.. If so i will do the fuel upgrades later on.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks what has the lower cost 315 cc set up or the 7th injector set up...?
My patience with you is running thin, but since this is in the "newbie" section of the forum, the bylaws say that I can't really go off on you.

I can though AGAIN strongly suggest that you look at the two links that have been given to you above. One of them answers your question about cost, the other one will answer your next question which will be "which one's better?" or possibly "what's the difference?"

There's a LOT more to this decision other than "how little money can I spent to keep from blowing up my motor?".

Dude... seriously... PLEASE listen to Christian, Andrew and myself and CLICK THOSE LINKS and READ THE INFORMATION.

Then pull your questions together and we'd be happy to help. Just please show us that you've done a little bit of research - 'specially since it's obvious that you didn't do it before you bolted on the SC.

Need some incentive? Think about how much THIS is costing to fix:

...If so i will do the fuel upgrades later on.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

(see pic above - and that was WITH the fuel mods)

Last edited by midiwall; 01-26-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:53 PM

sorry dude... the truck came w/ the sc i bought it in jan of 06, ran great up untill my 02 sensor went out...No more questions thank you.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM

it seems simple to me just cut the cat off.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:55 PM

sorry dude... the truck came w/ the sc i bought it in jan of 06, ran great up untill my 02 sensor went out...No more questions thank you.
FACTORY INSTALLED 2ND OWNER
Old 01-26-2007, 02:06 PM

sorry dude... the truck came w/ the sc i bought it in jan of 06...
Sigh... Okay, I'll back off - maybe you didn't know.

A "straight" install of a SC on the 3.4L runs lean. It's been proven OVER and OVER and OVER. It runs lean enough that the engine will destroy itself. Sometimes loudly, sometimes quietly.

Yes, you will find people that swear their trucks run just fine and they don't need any mods. INVARIABLY it's been noted that they're at altitude (low boost) or in humid climates (will richen the fuel mixture).

The bottom line is that TRD did NOT look at the design well enough, and it took them _years_ before THEY did anything to correct the issue by releasing the 7th injector. Even then, they still don't admit that there's a root problem. They sell the 7th to "get all that you can" out of your SC.

The pic above is of my engine. I've been a HUGE preacher of the fuel mods on here and (in this case) I practiced what I preached, but this still happened. "Something" went wrong and I burned a valve. If this happened while I was running huge injectors with all the trimmings, then just imagine the fun you could be having and not know it.

I can't begin to tell you how important it is to get that engine under control.

I figure that you think it's been "fine" because you can't hear any ping and it "really screams" when you dump your foot into it, right? Two quick lessons... 1) "Ping" can happen without you being able to hear it. 2) A lean engine will produce more power than a rich one - hence it "really screaming" when you jump on it.

Long term ping will destroy your engine. Long term lean at WOT will destroy your engine in a different way.

Now PLEASE go read those links and do some research.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Fuel... try searching on "SMT" or "FTC1" or "SC fuel" or read the URD (and gadgetonline) page that Christian pointed you to, or find one of the other dozen threads talking about supercharger fuel upgrades (easy to find if you look for posts from me, Christian or Mastercox (Brian)).
It's "mastacox"

I have had many a nice discussion regarding the TRD supercharger and URD's Fuel upgrade kit. Since I got my '98 4Runner last year, every conversation has ended the same way:

Get the fuel upgrades and the VB upgrade, or you'll be sorry.

Circumstantial evidence just can't be used in this situation (so no point in trying to say "well I've been fine so far, and my firend's supercharged Tacoma..."): if you supercharge your 5VZ-E and drive under boost for extended periods, you'll wish you hadn't :chicken:

Welcome to Yotatech!

Last edited by mastacox; 01-26-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter