Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Best Year For A Toyota Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
3rd gen pickup. it's going to be the newest "good" toyota still out there before they started going downhill with build quality and adding crap like airbags and electronic doohickeymabobs. yes, an 85 is good because you can get SA and EFI, but you'd still have to do a lot to that system if you plan on beefing it up or lifting it - so you might as well do it once when you SAS a 3rd gen. you also can't compete with a 1st gen 4runner in terms of versatility since the top comes off.

if you ask me what the best PU would be, i'd be a little biased (because it's what i have) and would say: 3rd gen X-cab with 22re and 5spd and manual hubs...but not a 94 or 95 because those have that stupid looking 3rd brake light on top of the cab.
x2,3,4
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Yota of Alaska, now you're finally going to get somewhere. Because the real question is, "the best Toyota" for what?

For those who aren't going to do any hardcore offroading, a solid front axle is going to be a minus, not a plus, in my book. If you only have 5k...yeah, a late 80's or early 90's extended cab would be your best option. Although only you can decide if you need the extended cab. Regular cab has a shorter wheelbase which helps you turn around on tight roads, and get around obstacles, but it doesn't sound like it will really matter with how you're going to use it.

I've had: an 87, 86, 92, 93, and currently an 83. The 93 was a really nice truck. Capable, modern (as far as my vehicles go), the V-6 did just fine, etc. BUT, the '86 xtra-cab was my absolute favorite of all those trucks. Just in terms of being a cool old truck, but very comfortable seats, space in the interior (compared to a regular cab, anyway), capable offroad, and had independant front suspension, which made the ride soooo much smoother than my 83. Unless you're going to do some serious rock crawling, trust me, you don't want a solid front axle.

If you can find a late 80's 22RE, especially xtra-cab, in really great shape, I'd say go for that. But in my opinion your range should be '86 through "however-new-you-can-afford".

Not sure how Alaska is, and if you care, but the bed rust issue is something to consider on an 80's model.

And a well maintained V6 should do you just fine. For the amount of extra power you end up getting...I'm not sure they're worth it, but you do get some power.

Oh, and even though I won't steer you away from the V-6 as much as others might (my machine shop was set on convincing me that 22R/RE's in general are really bad about blowing headgaskets...), I'm really not sure the early versions are worth it. 22RE's are easier and cheaper to work on. I remember the first time I got my valves adjusted on my 93...I was used to the 22RE, which is basically maybe an hour labor and a valve cover gasket. Several hundred dollars for the V6 valve adjustment...I don't remember the exact price but it was over $300, if I remember right. So there is that to think about. 22RE is a good, proven, reliable engine. The V6 was more prone to headgasket problems but it was still a solid motor. But it was still really weak, relatively, and is more expensive on gas, repairs, etc. For really not much of a gain in power.

Last edited by 83; 04-27-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM

StarlaHeffe someone might respond to you if you do some searching, then start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Yota of alaska
It seems like a lot of people are saying that an extra cab toyota pickup is best. but, i've heard that a short bed is better because you have more clearance in the rear. I'm just wondering what the strategic value to an extended cab is.
People say a lot of stuff, without giving you the whole story. That's in general correct, but really, unless you're really into some crazy roads, this is not going to be an issue.

If you took all the advice some people want to give you, you'd be driving a full-roll-cage buggy with 18" of clearance and 33" tires, locked front and rear differential, dual transfer cases, super short wheelbase (but not so short that you roll end-over-end when climbing a steep hill...) and all that crap just to get groceries because there's a ditch and a speed bump along the way.

You would be absolutely amazed at what a GOOD DRIVER can do in whatever 4x4 they happen to be driving. Even an older Subaru 4x4. If you're just playing around on rough roads, any Toyota is going to be absolutely awesome.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 83
You would be absolutely amazed at what a GOOD DRIVER can do in whatever 4x4 they happen to be driving. Even an older Subaru 4x4. If you're just playing around on rough roads, any Toyota is going to be absolutely awesome.
X2 I've gotten just about everywhere I wanted to go up rutted roads, steep hill climbs and just about everywhere I wanted to go in the dunes all in a mostly stock 95 on a good set of 31s and some careful driving. I easily kept up with a built jeep locked front and rear. Any Toyota pickup you choose will serve you well, so browse the picture threads pick the one you like best.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All depends on what your purpose is... I've owned a standard cab long box 87 22r and currently have a 94 xtra cab v6. A friend had an 86 extra cab and a 92 extra cab both with the 22re. I would say def. get the xtra cab what ever body style you go for the extra space is def. worth it imo.
As for rear drop off ...the distance from the rear axle to the bumper is the same regardless of the cab/box size the extra length is added forward of the axle. so any box you choose will not make a difference so far as that goes.
The v6 is a solid engine provided you take care of it ie oil changes/reg. maint. and so forth but it is not as bullet proof as the 22r series.
The 89-94 trucks are heavier than the 84-88s and the 22re is not as peppy in them as in they were in 84-88.
The later v6s seem more reliable than the early ones.
Manual (Aisin) front hubs will save you a bundle on fuel when not in 4wd compared to the ADD hubs. Conversion from ADD to MAN. is simple and several folks here have them for sale.
Simply put find the best truck you can in your price range and get it completely checked bt a mech. you trust (pref. one with experience on yotas), if the seller says no to a check by your guy move on to the next one.
Hope this helps
Aviator
Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM

I love the look and simplicity of the first gens. I had to have one so now I have two. Personally, I kinda like not having so much electrical crap in a truck and it also has AC. Doesn't have too much power but hey that's what I have my 2011 F350 FX4 for.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait! Did someone say no place to off-road and Alaska in the same sentence?

Seriously though.. 85 xtra cab efi 5sp is my fav. I sold mine to my son and bought an 86 turbo extra cab 5sp. Wow what a ride! so smooth. But both trucks are small. With 89 up you have the option of shoe horning a sole in the back at least.
Just remember any year you look at go with little rust as possible! 5k gives you that option. the 22re's are easy to get running good vs. rotting A pillar, swiss cheese bed or the all time favorite A/C floors!
Brad
Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Can you really go too wrong with any Toyota? I looked for 5 years and owned 6 3rd gens, 22re and 3vze, before I found my 85 efi xtra cab. And I got stuck with auto hubs. Whatever you get, build it and make it your own.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM

yes, i did say no place offroad and in Alaska. Believe it or not Alaska just doesn't have sweet trails and stuff like they do down south.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota of alaska
yes, i did say no place offroad and in Alaska. Believe it or not Alaska just doesn't have sweet trails and stuff like they do down south.
yeah I hear a lot of the best "trails" are closed access roads leading to mines, oil lines, logging areas and such... things are so isolated up there they are paranoid about thieves, claim jumpers etc. much the same in the NWT/Yukon...

Similar situation in some parts of the austrailian outback... one track I read about runs along the rail line across the south of the country... you need special permission from the railroad to be on it and outsiders are NOT welcome in the rail co. "towns" along the way.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Yeah, sounds like you've been up there before aviator. Most of our best trails are really not that good at all. Although I hear farther up north near fairbanks and the Anchorage, Wasilla, palmer area there is some better roads for it but i live in Southeast Alaska and haven't been up there much.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Closest I've got to "wheeling" in AK was "wheeling" around Ted Stevens International's In-transit lounge during a 4hr layover on the way to Hong Kong via Seoul in 87... good days... but I hear about some of the issues up north.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Scuba. Sometimes I wish I had a Taco or a 3rd gen 4runner. Those engines are robust, and easy to work on, really reliable, great gas mileage for the extended space between gas stations in Alaska, and I have been seeing a lot of them for under 5K lately. Dont get a solid axle. You dont need it. Plus, everyone trying to sell a factory solid axle Yota in Alaska thinks its "SO RARE" so they jack the price up on a rusted piece of crap.
I dont do hard core wheeling, but i do do quite a bit of mountainous trails. Never have I "needed" a solid axle. Heck, its usually the Jeeps I wheel with that get hung up

IMO, dont get a 22re or 3vze truck. Both are decent engines, but not nearly as good as the 3rzfe or 5vzfe in Tacos or 3rd gen 4runners.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:18 PM

I wish I had a Taco with a 3.4 every time I see a picture of my Dad's 98. It screamed compared to my 22re. It was a blast to drive. Sadly, there aren't many of them left around here.