Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

BAD hesitation/ power loss/ gas mileage - no check engine light/codes

Old 04-20-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voiddweller
When I had a similar acceleration problem, it turned out to be the air intake unit, when I accelerated the engine would torque over to the side a bit and under power it would open a crack in the plastic air intake tube allowing too much air to get into it screwing it all up. Just a thought.. no codes no lights or anything.. duct tape fixed it for a bit until I could afford the part..
Checked out the air intake tube and the filter. Both were in good condition. Not sure if when the engine was removed they may have done something with the bagel but I'll take a closer look at it this weekend. Really appreciate the suggestion.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM

I have same problem have you figured it out yet?

Originally Posted by lola
PLEASE HELP! I have searched this forum and "Google" for many days and hours trying to figure out what is wrong with my 2001 4runner limited- automatic. I am going to be specific about the issue in hopes of really narrowing down the problem.

It began as just a very minor issue- a few times it seemed to "miss" upon acceleration after being stopped at a light. I took it to my mechanic (who has been very reliable for years)... he ran the codes and told me it came back fine.

Within two weeks, I was having noticeable trouble when accelerating from a stopped or slow position. Hesitation and "over-revving"... I had to very slowly pump the gas peddle (over and over) to pick up speed. Flooring the peddle only resulted in loud revving. Once I got up to speed, it would maintain okay, but I could not pick up speed fast enough to merge into traffic. Also, I could not drive up an incline without losing at least 20 miles per hour. My gas mileage became beyond HORRIBLE.

I cleaned the MAF (at the suggestion of this forum)... it did not help. I took the vehicle to a local "chain" for diagnostic... they could not figure out the problem. (I asked them about every suggestion I read about on this site)... They said- not fuel filter, O2 sensor, spark plugs, or transmission. They thought it was the MAF, and cleaned it again, but there was no change. After 3 1/2 hours, they gave up and didn't charge me for diagnostic.

Now (1 week later) it is not drivable. I can't go over 30mph.

Do I have an EGR valve (I don't think I do)? Where is the PCV? Could this be the fuel pump or the FPR? The mechanic said he checked everything, including a leak in the intake and hoses. Was something misdiagnosed or missed all together? Should I REPLACE the MAF first?

A few other things that may or may not be important-
I recently had front break pads replaced.
It seemed like having my ipod hooked up to the tape convertor made the problem worse (but I was told this was my imagination.)
It is not in 4WD and I don't have the emergency brake engaged.

THANK YOU A MILLION FOR ANY HELP!
I also have same problem have you figured it out yet?
Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by wazowski_44
I also have same problem have you figured it out yet?

Is your CEL on? If so what are the codes?

If not I would spend what you have to spend to check the following ASAP.

I suggest that because I ignored the CEL till it was too far gone. And cost me an engine (just a little retrospect).

Check spark plugs to see if the are black and oily
Check cats from the block and see if they are shot.

I had codes from CEL The triggered some to think it was the O2 sensor or the CAT Converter.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 4Runner04
Is your CEL on? If so what are the codes?

If not I would spend what you have to spend to check the following ASAP.

I suggest that because I ignored the CEL till it was too far gone. And cost me an engine (just a little retrospect).

Check spark plugs to see if the are black and oily
Check cats from the block and see if they are shot.

I had codes from CEL The triggered some to think it was the O2 sensor or the CAT Converter.
No the CEL aren't on but I can check the spark plugs. Did you really have to get a new engine? That bad?
Old 04-25-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by wazowski_44
No the CEL aren't on but I can check the spark plugs. Did you really have to get a new engine? That bad?
Yes. I did only because I ignored the CEL till it had bad problems.

The difference here is I had a cel. What year is yours?
If the plugs are black. There is a reason for that. Changing the plugs will help but not cure.
When they got the engine off the cats were so full of crud and the baffles were all broken I had to do those too.
If your plugs are okay or just need changing and you are still getting misfire I see a lot of posts about the harness. The cutting out you are experiencing is a misfire so search that too.

Last edited by 4Runner04; 04-25-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 4Runner04
Yes. I did only because I ignored the CEL till it had bad problems.

The difference here is I had a cel. What year is yours?
If the plugs are black. There is a reason for that. Changing the plugs will help but not cure.
When they got the engine off the cats were so full of crud and the baffles were all broken I had to do those too.
If your plugs are okay or just need changing and you are still getting misfire I see a lot of posts about the harness. The cutting out you are experiencing is a misfire so search that too.
Oh okay ill do that and check the misfire. Thanks
Old 07-17-2015, 01:08 PM

Hello, I have a 1993 Toyota pickup with 22RE 550K miles.(Block rebuilt @ 520K Miles).
I searched many forums and found bits and pieces of the issue. I wanted to be sure
to reply as many folk with the same issue never reply with the fix(for whatever reason).

The truck would not accelerate when pressing the gas pedal after the engine was warm. The problem started when Spring arrived after running great all winter. I checked the engine codes and had 24(Air intake temperature sensor) and 31(Air flow meter circuit).
I added Lucas gas treatment and premium gas to clear the old gas with no success.
I started repairs by replacing and adjusting the TPS with no success.
Next, I replaced the temperature sensor(taken from a Camry AFM from junk yard)
the engine codes didn't return after clearing.
Next, I adjusted the AFM with no improvement.
Next, I replaced the O2 sensor with no improvement.
Next, I replaced the catalytic converter with little improvement.
Next, I replaced the fuel filter with no improvement.
Next, I had the pipes replaced, there was rusty holes, with no improvement.
Next, I replaced spark plug wires, rotor and button with no improvement.
Next, I cleaned the fuel injectors, throttle-body and air intake(oil was present).
There was a smoother response with the same results.
- One of the fuel injectors took more effort to clean.
Next, I replaced the valve seals(loosing oil with no leaks).
Next, I replaced the distributor with no improvement.

WAIT for it... Wait for it....

Next, the hard-to-clean fuel injector failed. I replaced the injectors
and removed/resealed the valve cover baffle and cleared the problem.
YAY!!!!
I'm not sure which fixed the problem, but I'm leaning toward the injectors.

The story took place over about two months.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Hello, i have a 2002 Toyota celica GT and i recently changed the sparks plugs and changed the oil but now i recently noticed that my car has been hesitating and bucking when i accelerate. But my check engine light and service light is not on either. ,My car would hesitate and buckle for the first 5-10mins of me driving it then it would go back to normal and no hesitations. Please any help would be appreciated Thank you in advance
Old 10-27-2015, 05:46 PM

It sounds like the issue I had earlier this year. I was lucky enough to have a fuel injector, I had previously cleaned, fail. I bought some remanufactured fuel injectors (25$) from RockAuto and corrected the problem.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 PM

Sorry that I am bumping an old thread. But I see many people talking about this issue and a wide variety of responses. I figured I would add the one that no one mentioned yet. I had a 2001 lexus es300 with the same issue. It sounded like it was missing, would hesitate and have no power and just over revv. I had it at lexus for over a week and they could not figure it out. They replaced fuel injectors and the MAF as well as the 02 sensors and nothing worked. It turned out it was a bad timing belt tensioner. I know nothing about 4 runners even though I drive one. But if the 4 runner has a timing belt tensioner I would check that. After they replaced it the car was like new.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:37 PM

I have the same problem except i have a 2000 suzuki grand vitara ive relaced plugs, coils, and cat converter but yet i still jolt and lose 10-15 mph when going around 50.. it stinks really bad after it loses its speed and jolts. I have no CEL though! Idk what to do before i replaced the cat it was worse! I would stop at a red light it would turn green id start to go and right when i press the gas it would stall out. I also smell a hint of gas when driving but no leaks.. i dont dare drive it anymore cause i feel it will get worse again and start stalling if i do.. can someone please help!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Replacing the fuel injectors corrected my problem.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by crawe01
Replacing the fuel injectors corrected my problem.
Well turns out i have three cat converters that no ine told me about.. so replacing those and muffler and exhaust forst then maybe try that, that is if it doesnt work..
Old 09-27-2016, 06:16 AM

2500 gmc

It's the throttle body sensor. Mess with the wires and that will help it run better but it needs replacing. Stopped us for months.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:36 PM

Any help would be appreciated. I have a 99 4Runner Limited and need a new MAF Sensor, would prefer to stick with a Denso but cannot find the replacement part number.
The part number on the MAF now is 197400-2000 (22214-21010). Does anyone know the new part number? Thank you
Old 04-09-2018, 04:02 PM

99 4runner misbehaving

I have read this whole thread because mine is doing the same thing as everyone else's. Nobody mentioned if their cruise control still worked or not. Mine started popping off and now nothing. I changed TPS, full tune up, changed fuel filter, nothing seems to help. What I noticed is, that if I only put 2/3 or less of a tank of gas in, it runs fine. 80 mph no problem. Full tank and it acts like it is trying to give up and die. Feathering gas pedal helps get up to 70 but not good at staying there, until level of fuel hits 3/4>. Did anyone ever truly figure out what was causing this? Did you change out the fuel pump?
Old 11-10-2021, 02:01 AM

Have you checked your coil packs?

Old 11-10-2021, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Killbill76
Have you checked your coil packs?
There is only one coil pack/igniter and a spark is reaching all 4 cylinders.
- The #4 spark plugs keep fouling. I replace them and the newly replaced AFM pops intermittently until the plug fouls-out.
- There is a clear miss at the pipe and the smell of fuel is present.
- I connected the #4 fuel injector cable to an injector I was holding and it worked fine.
- Compression test shows 200 psi (1-195, 2-185, 3-200).
- I think there is an intake problem with the head; still searching
- I've been running on 3 cylinder for 2 years now.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by lola
PLEASE HELP! I have searched this forum and "Google" for many days and hours trying to figure out what is wrong with my 2001 4runner limited- automatic. I am going to be specific about the issue in hopes of really narrowing down the problem.

It began as just a very minor issue- a few times it seemed to "miss" upon acceleration after being stopped at a light. I took it to my mechanic (who has been very reliable for years)... he ran the codes and told me it came back fine.

Within two weeks, I was having noticeable trouble when accelerating from a stopped or slow position. Hesitation and "over-revving"... I had to very slowly pump the gas peddle (over and over) to pick up speed. Flooring the peddle only resulted in loud revving. Once I got up to speed, it would maintain okay, but I could not pick up speed fast enough to merge into traffic. Also, I could not drive up an incline without losing at least 20 miles per hour. My gas mileage became beyond HORRIBLE.

I cleaned the MAF (at the suggestion of this forum)... it did not help. I took the vehicle to a local "chain" for diagnostic... they could not figure out the problem. (I asked them about every suggestion I read about on this site)... They said- not fuel filter, O2 sensor, spark plugs, or transmission. They thought it was the MAF, and cleaned it again, but there was no change. After 3 1/2 hours, they gave up and didn't charge me for diagnostic.

Now (1 week later) it is not drivable. I can't go over 30mph.

Do I have an EGR valve (I don't think I do)? Where is the PCV? Could this be the fuel pump or the FPR? The mechanic said he checked everything, including a leak in the intake and hoses. Was something misdiagnosed or missed all together? Should I REPLACE the MAF first?

A few other things that may or may not be important-
I recently had front break pads replaced.
It seemed like having my ipod hooked up to the tape convertor made the problem worse (but I was told this was my imagination.)
It is not in 4WD and I don't have the emergency brake engaged.

THANK YOU A MILLION FOR ANY HELP!
I was having the same problem and what did it for me was the harmonic balancer. My harmonic balancer fell off while driving, after I replaced it and torqued it to spec, it ran perfectly. Also changing injectors, ignition coil, air filter and oil change just to be sure.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by j2the-e
Fuel filter? On an 04 taco? That would be a waste of money. Or are you replying to the post from 5 years ago?

TigersYota: If your exhaust is factory, its probably ok. I would start with cleaning the air flow meter. If you have a scanner, you can check your fuel trims, and check maf readings. Also check for codes or pending codes.
yes, fuel filter. its there for a reason and can cause troubles exactly like these when it starts to get old/plugged
e\ surprised it took someone *4* years to come up with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD hesitation/ power loss/ gas mileage - no check engine light/codes