Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

BAD hesitation/ power loss/ gas mileage - no check engine light/codes

Old 09-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had similar problem and it was the oxygen sensor..
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM

ECT sensor

I had similar problems with my 99, sr5, 3.4, automatic, 4runner.
I replaced -muffler,cat,o2 sensors,throttle position sensor,MAF sensor,wires,plugs,ignition coils,...... it ran better but...
Still chugged, spit, drank lots of fuel, had no power, often stalled and backfired.
Finally I Changed the ECT sensor....
it is hard to find this little trouble maker....
You must remove the timing belt cover and use a very deep 19m socket to get the old one out and the new one in.
It is very small and only cost $13 plus shipping from "Rock Auto" online.
good luck.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 AM

I know this probably won't help so late in the game but I had a similar problem on a 99 Isuzu Amigo. Turned out that one of my battery cable ends was broken causing the ignition to not get enough power.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM

So did anyone actualy figure out the problem at first? I have seen a few fixed for it but they have all been different. I recently ran into this problem On my 2004 Tacoma. I am taking it to my mechanic to get it checked hopefully he will have it fixed quick. mine was also just where got started going at like 20-25 than I could build up.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 AM

Fuel spark compression. I would even changethe fuel filter and make sure mice didn't get into the air box.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TigersYota
So did anyone actualy figure out the problem at first? I have seen a few fixed for it but they have all been different. I recently ran into this problem On my 2004 Tacoma. I am taking it to my mechanic to get it checked hopefully he will have it fixed quick. mine was also just where got started going at like 20-25 than I could build up.
Originally Posted by piratelegs
Fuel spark compression. I would even changethe fuel filter and make sure mice didn't get into the air box.
Fuel filter? On an 04 taco? That would be a waste of money. Or are you replying to the post from 5 years ago?

TigersYota: If your exhaust is factory, its probably ok. I would start with cleaning the air flow meter. If you have a scanner, you can check your fuel trims, and check maf readings. Also check for codes or pending codes.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM

I'm having a sort of similar misfire problem...i have a 99 toyota tacoma 3.4L, manual transmission. when accelerating in first gear, cold engine, at about 2500-2800 rpm the truck misses hard, lurching violently. I have to engage the clutch to stop the truck bucking and start over. i changed the plugs (denso), one at a time, checked for arcing etc, still having the problem, but only when the engine is cold. my next step is to start switching out coils, but since the problem only manifests itself in the morning (cooler temps, i think), i have to wait overnight before i can test.

before swapping out the plugs, the truck would misfire and lurch when letting off the accelerator and coasting in gear, then when i got back on the gas to accelerate, it would hesitate to pick up, then buck a bit. that seems to have gone away with the new plugs, but the 1st gear problem persists.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by H490
I'm having a sort of similar misfire problem...i have a 99 toyota tacoma 3.4L, manual transmission. when accelerating in first gear, cold engine, at about 2500-2800 rpm the truck misses hard, lurching violently. I have to engage the clutch to stop the truck bucking and start over. i changed the plugs (denso), one at a time, checked for arcing etc, still having the problem, but only when the engine is cold. my next step is to start switching out coils, but since the problem only manifests itself in the morning (cooler temps, i think), i have to wait overnight before i can test.

before swapping out the plugs, the truck would misfire and lurch when letting off the accelerator and coasting in gear, then when i got back on the gas to accelerate, it would hesitate to pick up, then buck a bit. that seems to have gone away with the new plugs, but the 1st gear problem persists.

Any suggestions?
This used to happen on my accord when cold before my clutch blew got a new clutch and no problems
Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM

One thing I have not heard anyone say and could possibly play problem on all the models and years posted hear is.... the speed sensor on the car. as of 92 or so most manufacturers where required to add rev limiters to cars limiting them to a max speed. If (big if) the speed sensor is bad, it can cause this rev limiting feature to stop cylinders from firing, causing back fires, hesitation, millage loss, and possibly and intermittent problem. This would also explain the original 5 year old post claiming that a brake repair made the problem worse. Otherwise the problem is simply poor electrical connections or the unsolved bug resulting from poor software testing... lol cars should be run f the computer s faulty or not. talk about a concept
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ElectroTech
One thing I have not heard anyone say and could possibly play problem on all the models and years posted hear is.... the speed sensor on the car. as of 92 or so most manufacturers where required to add rev limiters to cars limiting them to a max speed. If (big if) the speed sensor is bad, it can cause this rev limiting feature to stop cylinders from firing, causing back fires, hesitation, millage loss, and possibly and intermittent problem. This would also explain the original 5 year old post claiming that a brake repair made the problem worse. Otherwise the problem is simply poor electrical connections or the unsolved bug resulting from poor software testing... lol cars should be run f the computer s faulty or not. talk about a concept
Hey look, our search feature works!

Fink
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM

take and have the tranny flushed a couple times. Do it ypurself its not that hard. Might help?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:42 AM

i have a 1992 suzuki escudo with a G16A engine that has served me well over the years..but lately it has developed a miss when am accelarating...have tried changing the lead wires and the plugs,but no change...please help
Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Anthony16a
i have a 1992 suzuki escudo with a G16A engine that has served me well over the years..but lately it has developed a miss when am accelarating...have tried changing the lead wires and the plugs,but no change...please help
Might be a good time to replace your distributor cap and rotor, if you have one. Double check your plug gaps also, make sure they are at specs. Good luck
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey everyone! Seems like this is a common problem with these Toyota's. Here is my version, I will try to be as detailed as possible.

1994 Pickup Ext Cab 4x4 V6 - 182,000 miles

Just bought this truck a couple weeks ago. Its a beauty! OK, so the problem I am having is with acceleration, like most. Although unlike most, it seems to be worse going from 1st gear to 2nd gear. Accelerating from a stop in 1st gear seems fine, plenty of power there. Once I shift to 2nd, If I step on the gas too much, the engine seems to 'bog', 'lurch', 'lose power', 'hesitate', etc. If I am VERY gentle on the gas, the engine seems to accelerate fine, with plenty of power. This problem is worse if I shift at a lower RPM, I have to let it get to at least 3000RPM for it to be a smooth shift. Another little piece of insight: once I get past a certain RPM, usually 2000 (talking about 2nd gear here), the engine has plenty of power and accelerates nicely.

This has not been a huge issue for me, I am learning to just be more gentle with the pedal. UNTIL...yesterday I took it on the I-5 from LA to Orange County (about 40mi). The truck did fine on the way there (well, still has the bogging problem if I'm on the gas too much at low RPM, but did fine aside from that). However on the way home (this is 7 hours later), I ran into some BAD bogging and power loss, especially noticeable when accelerating to merge onto the highway. I mean really bad, where I could barely get up to 45MPH before having to merge. I found that downshifting and having the engine at higher RPM was the only way to really get her going. Even then it was very slow to accelerate. Once up to speed, the engine runs fine and holds speed nicely.

Now, when I got off the highway, and drove the 2 miles to my apartment I noticed the acceleration problem in 2nd gear got WAY worse, and also it was not just in 2nd gear anymore, even starting from a stop was a challenge. Initially, this problem was really only noticeable when the engine was under a significant load (any sort of incline). After the highway fiasco, the problem was very noticeable, even on flat and level ground, but not really an issue on decline.

AHH! Sorry this has become such a long post, but I just want to be a specific as possible since it seems many people have this issue but there is always a different solution.

SO FAR... I have replaced all the plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, air flow meter, and changed the engine oil. I've also ran a can of sea-foam spray into the throttle body (very little white smoke came out), and put a can of it in the gas tank (ran the full tank with no improvement). Oh by the way, the gas mileage is terrible, and I know what this engine is capable of, this is the 3rd truck like this I've owned.

My main culprit as of now, after heavily researching this issue on all sorts of forums and websites, is the exhaust. There is a significant exhaust leak at the muffler (visible hole from rust). There are no leaks at the cat, but I'm thinking it could be bad, just based on other peoples responses.

So my next move is to replace the muffler, but would that really be causing such a bad power loss? How do I tell if the cat is bad? It doesn't smell and there is nothing rattling around inside of it. No rust either.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Alot of repetative advice on this thread so aside from all that you guys should check you throttle possiton sensor, easy to do if you have a multi meter and can cuase some of what's being said but typically not quite so cippling.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by cartercoulombe
Hey everyone! Seems like this is a common problem with these Toyota's. Here is my version, I will try to be as detailed as possible.

1994 Pickup Ext Cab 4x4 V6 - 182,000 miles

Just bought this truck a couple weeks ago. Its a beauty! OK, so the problem I am having is with acceleration, like most. Although unlike most, it seems to be worse going from 1st gear to 2nd gear. Accelerating from a stop in 1st gear seems fine, plenty of power there. Once I shift to 2nd, If I step on the gas too much, the engine seems to 'bog', 'lurch', 'lose power', 'hesitate', etc. If I am VERY gentle on the gas, the engine seems to accelerate fine, with plenty of power. This problem is worse if I shift at a lower RPM, I have to let it get to at least 3000RPM for it to be a smooth shift. Another little piece of insight: once I get past a certain RPM, usually 2000 (talking about 2nd gear here), the engine has plenty of power and accelerates nicely.

This has not been a huge issue for me, I am learning to just be more gentle with the pedal. UNTIL...yesterday I took it on the I-5 from LA to Orange County (about 40mi). The truck did fine on the way there (well, still has the bogging problem if I'm on the gas too much at low RPM, but did fine aside from that). However on the way home (this is 7 hours later), I ran into some BAD bogging and power loss, especially noticeable when accelerating to merge onto the highway. I mean really bad, where I could barely get up to 45MPH before having to merge. I found that downshifting and having the engine at higher RPM was the only way to really get her going. Even then it was very slow to accelerate. Once up to speed, the engine runs fine and holds speed nicely.

Now, when I got off the highway, and drove the 2 miles to my apartment I noticed the acceleration problem in 2nd gear got WAY worse, and also it was not just in 2nd gear anymore, even starting from a stop was a challenge. Initially, this problem was really only noticeable when the engine was under a significant load (any sort of incline). After the highway fiasco, the problem was very noticeable, even on flat and level ground, but not really an issue on decline.

AHH! Sorry this has become such a long post, but I just want to be a specific as possible since it seems many people have this issue but there is always a different solution.

SO FAR... I have replaced all the plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, air flow meter, and changed the engine oil. I've also ran a can of sea-foam spray into the throttle body (very little white smoke came out), and put a can of it in the gas tank (ran the full tank with no improvement). Oh by the way, the gas mileage is terrible, and I know what this engine is capable of, this is the 3rd truck like this I've owned.

My main culprit as of now, after heavily researching this issue on all sorts of forums and websites, is the exhaust. There is a significant exhaust leak at the muffler (visible hole from rust). There are no leaks at the cat, but I'm thinking it could be bad, just based on other peoples responses.

So my next move is to replace the muffler, but would that really be causing such a bad power loss? How do I tell if the cat is bad? It doesn't smell and there is nothing rattling around inside of it. No rust either.

Make your fuel/air ratio a little more rich by adjusting the internals in the air flow meter you had replaced. Counterclockwise a couple notches to richen mixture but make sure you mark the original location before adjusting. YouTube it. You could be running a little too lean and, you may have to adjust your timing. Good luck
Old 09-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Exclamation A few issues and a few questions, High NOx, cooling and a dry mystery leak

Sorry! Posted a question in wrong forum

Last edited by dorcom; 09-14-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 PM

Feels like I am riding a bull

I am experiencing all of the same problems with my 99 Taco 2.7. Has anyone been successful in tracking down the problem? I am going broke guessing. No CEL or codes. Please help. I just bought the truck a few months ago and really love it . I can't wait to drive it for pleasure vs to and from the mechanic or the shade tree.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 PM

I have a 2004 4Runner sport. Had same problem and the end result was a new engine and cats. Now my MPG is around 13.5 - 14. Any suggestions. Dealer has no answer, no CEL, about ready to buy horse and buggy.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 AM

When I had a similar acceleration problem, it turned out to be the air intake unit, when I accelerated the engine would torque over to the side a bit and under power it would open a crack in the plastic air intake tube allowing too much air to get into it screwing it all up. Just a thought.. no codes no lights or anything.. duct tape fixed it for a bit until I could afford the part..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD hesitation/ power loss/ gas mileage - no check engine light/codes