Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

86 22r idles but won't drive after running out of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22r idles but won't drive after running out of fuel

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find anything specific to the issue that I am having. I just bought this truck, it's a 93 Toyota pickup with an old 22r in it.

When I bought it, the truck was running fine - buddy had it sitting in a heated garage before we took it out for a test drive and no issues what so ever. Got the thing 20 minutes down the road and it ran out of fuel, no gas stations nearby. Came back and put some gas in it and it would turn over and run for maybe 30sec before dying; other times I'd start it and it wouldn't idle at all. It was doing this constantly.

Left it overnight and went back to it the next morning and changed the fuel filter. Starter wasn't working now. So we had to jump start it, and the truck would idle just fine and I was initially able to get it down the road maybe two minutes before it died. I should mention that it was idling at a lower RPM than it had been the previous night, not sure why that would be. Ended up towing it, and the truck would idle the entire time but as soon as I tried putting any gas to it it just bogged down and died.

So now I'm left with two issues:
1. The truck won't start (tried starting it in warmer weather and nothing, so I don't think it froze)
2. The truck won't RUN - any thoughts on what could've happened to it when I ran it out of fuel? I've tried bleeding out the fuel line to get rid of any air. The way the engine is bogging down feels like a choke issue, but I have never owned a vehicle with a carbureted engine besides my dirt bike.

**as you can see by the way I'm describing this thing, I don't know a whole lot about it. This is my first truck, first Toyota, and I'm eager to learn as much about it as I can. Any suggestions or advice are hugely appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM

Do you have a check engine light? Even if you don't, check for trouble codes http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...es/index.shtml
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM

air in the fuel system turn on the key and losen up the cold start injectors dont think u need to throw everything at it when it drove fine befor.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

22r has one of those carburetor things.

When you sucked the tank dry it is possible you got water into the carb .

It would not hurt to pull the plugs and clean them see what they look like
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
22r has one of those carburetor things.

When you sucked the tank dry it is possible you got water into the carb .

It would not hurt to pull the plugs and clean them see what they look like
That's what I'm hoping is something simple along those lines where it was running perfectly beforehand. I thought maybe dirt in the carb, but wouldn't the fuel filter catch those things first? I will take a look at those plugs, thanks for the suggestion.

Also, there is no check engine light on but I will have the codes run and see what comes up