Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

85 4runner 22re idle and starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 85 4runner 22re idle and starting problem.

FIXED!!: see next post for solution.

Hi every one,
I have recently bought a 85 4runner 22re, which I love, for my first rig . The problem I am having is the it has a rough start and an idle problem. When i first got it the idle would not hold so I "adjusted" the throttle linkage for she could at least idle for now and kills my gas the living crap out of my gas. Now I could start with the help of pushing the peddle a little bit when its cold, but when it is warm it is hard to start until the second try on third and so forth. Also, when in hard decel it just wants to die until I give it some gas. Saw if i had any codes, and found code 11 which i think is fuel delivery area. I have check the air valve, and it check out fine. A buddy of mine check the TPS and said it looks good. The starter on it is great, I could here the fuel pump start when I leave the KOEO, but i dunno if it should stay on this kind of truck

Another thing I should mention is that The previous PREVIOUS owner rebuild the head and put in a new cam in it, he said that problem started after the rebuild or so i think. Now the guy that I bought it from said he went though the engine and thought it might be fuel delivery. I installed a new battery, air filter and gas cap for the heck of it. Have yet to buy a fuel filter. Iol am leaning on that it might be the fuel regulator, because I don't have any clue if the fuel rail is holding pressure.
Plus this freaken cold weather is hard to work on. but obviously i have to suck it up. So any ideas would be awesome.

UPDATE: ok so I tested the tps for myself, and found that the IDL connection was in infinity throughout all the angles of the throttle. So that might be my idling problem. I can only wish it would fix my start up.

UPDATE: OK after installing the new TPS it just starts right up with no need of some pedal work. However, now it surges when i turn it on anD when I disconnect the TPS revs up really high.

UPDATE: I seams that the tps and fuel regulator were not the problem. Well crap.

Last edited by Negative07; 05-08-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: FIXED
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIXED!!!! Finally, all the time I spent trying to see what was wrong with my baby. The answer was so obvious! So what i did was adjust the valves, intake .007" (HA) exhaust .011" . The previous owner who did the rebuild the head did not adjusted the valves properly.

Problems
-No start without some help of the pedal
-Rough idle (If adjusted linkage to idle)
-Valve knocking
-Poor power, etc...

Solution

-Valve adjustment.

Note: You may have the same problem but does not mean it is the same solution.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Nice work