Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1990 Toyota 2wd 4 speed Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Toyota 2wd 4 speed Clutch

Hey guys Im new to the site. Just looking to replace my clutch in my 1990 2wd 4 cylinder pickup. It has the 4 manual speed transmission. Im just curious what clutch you guys recommend. I have been reading a bit on here and I have seen talk of the "Marlin Crawler" clutches. My truck isn't a show truck, high performance truck or anything special. Its my daily run around truck. I don't ever ever tow anything with it. I have a duramax for nice things and my Toyota is my daily trusty steed. Just looking to put something in it that isn't going to break the bank. Trans has about 190,000 miles on it. motor has about 140,000. Also Does anyone know the model of my transmission? I can go look thats no biggie. Id prefer not to go and search for the tag on the trans in the snow if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the help
Old 12-15-2016, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I like to use Aisin clutches. I have gotten mine from Rockauto in the past. Being a two wheel drive you dont need a heavy duty clutch. I have also gotten them off of ebay as well. There are other brnads that will work as well. Last clutch I replaced it was going to cost me $25 to have the flywheel turned and I was able to buy a new flywheel for less then $50 if I recall correctly. While changing the clutch, go ahead and replace the slave cylinder with Aisian as well. Usually the slave cylinder fails on me when I pull the clutch. Brake fluid is rough on the seals.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Yep, Aisin was often the OEM clutch Toyota used, and for 99% of us, OEM is more than enough. My original Toyota clutch is still going strong at 200,000 miles. Can't get much better advertising than that.