03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Mods for a city/logging/mountain access 4Runner??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Mods for a city/logging/mountain access 4Runner??

First posting and thanks for having such a fine forum to join up on.

I've finally decided on my 'new' vehicle and now just need time to source it appropriately. It'll be a low miles 2006/7 4runner LTD V6.

I've got a short opportunity to buy some add on parts for fair price while a wholesale friend's in town so am wondering what items guys would suggest? I need to buy shortly under a show order closing date but would have option to return later so not stressed about making some choices ahead. I read the add on FAQ now closed and came away thinking rock bars will be a good change.

My use will be combined metro city driving, highway trips, and my hobbies of fishing and bonsai collecting (higher altitude mountainous areas with stunted trees). Fishing I'll want to do in less popular areas typically accessed by logging roads etc. Oh yeah, wife will want her and I to take our two mountain bikes out for some day and weekend trips as well so hitch mount or internal rack desired.

I've barely started to read on the many many mods available but a few that appear of interest are:

rock bars
a good lo-profile capable winch w/ synth. rope seems like good insurance?? If it can mount in a subtle manner..

Satellite radio factory option's seems quite high cost ~ 750CD up here, other options suggested for same function?

I've been keen about a GPS function, assume the navigation system will allow capture of GPS points or I could at least manually write them down?

Any suggested mod's for reducing internal noise? Any noise reductions are highly favourable to me.

Any other mod's you think might be of use to me initially? I won't jump at a lift kit right off the bat I don't think.

Emerg off road survival kit I'll be assembling for a couple days rations/heat etc, any direct links welcome.

Front/rear approach/departure angles reasonable in OEM trim? Or few simple mod's to notably change these?

Thanks in advance!

Looking fwd to acquiring and setting up this fishing/fun machine Been thinking about it for some time and all's in place for it to happen now.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 PM

Hey another vancouverite,

I've had my 2006 for almost a year now. I've found the ground clearance a little too low fo my taste. It should suffice, should you not get into anything too hairy going fishing. Thats said I have a OME lift kit sitting in my garage.

Speaking of fishing care to share some local spots?

Introduce yourself to the rest of the gang in the British Columbia section here. There''s quite a few there.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the reply Grimace. I'll look up the OME kit. I'll have to check out the BC section as well, haven't got that far yet.

Need to line up a US wholesale/auto connection to save some coin on this purchase.

Fishing hot spots in Vancouver, Island 22 August long weekend What kind of fishing you looking for? Lake/river trout fishing, steelie, salmon or ? Certainly many choices in the area. Big pink salmon year, come Aug/Sept most anywhere on the Fraser they'll be around. Springs coming up the Fraser now, off to Terrace tomorrow and hope to get into some fish once the work aspect's done!

Seriously though haven't explored much as I've not been keen taking our 2 seater cars offroad and most paved areas are fairly well trafficked in my limited experience.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Lift? Yes!

For getting around on the less traveled back roads, you will want a couple more inches of clearance. The previous generation of 4Runner, had more ground clearance than the 4th Gen (from the factory). The 4th Gen front axles actually sit at a negative angle.

A 2-3" lift in the front, keeps the axles at the same angle; but it is in the positive direction (no extra strain on the CV joints). A 2" lift in the back, and you are level. This will keep the low hanging gas tank, and other parts away from those nasty rocks. An Old Man Emu (OME) lift with 884 front springs and 895 rear springs do the job. The rear might be a little stiff, unless you usually carry 200lbs of gear. If you don't normally haul heavy gear, get a set or softer springs from ToyTec, or DeMillo.
http://www.demello-offroad.com/catalog/
http://www.toyteclifts.com/03074runn...rliftkits.html

Rock sliders will only protect your body panels, not your undercarriage. They are good to have; but I wouldn't get them before a small lift.

As for music, I would go with a USA Spec iPod interface.
http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html
We just added one of these to our rig, and it was great to have our music on our last long trip to Death Valley. Never searching for channels. It works through the factory stereo, etc. Wonderful.

As for interior noise, the 4th Gen is pretty quiet and cushy. One item I added to my rig, that increased the wind noise was a set of vent visors. I like their function; but they do add a bit of noise.

GPS - Unless the factory navigation system has Topographic maps, I would not get that option. Assuming you don't get the factory nav., check out the current crop of GPS units, that you can put topo maps on (I know Garmin GPS units can have topo's added). Now see where you may want to mount a unit, and check into the available mounts. Purchase a system that works well in your rig, and meets your needs.

If you get an external antenna for the GPS, it can be mounted in the factory location, under the dash. I have my Garmin V mounted on my steering column, and the antenna mounted in the factory GPS antenna location. It is very clean, and I can use what ever type of maps I want.

Winch - There are few low profile winches; but there are only a couple of mounts that can be purchased. Those mounts are actually complete bumpers. One is from ARB, and the other is from Shrockworks (spelled correctly).
http://www.shrockworks.com/
http://www.arbusa.com/toyota.php?num=7#image

If you want a subtle mounting of the winch, it will have to be a custom mount, tucked in behind the factory bumper (there is room), with a Hawse fairlead.

You could use a standard winch plate/mount, and build the attach points to the frame, the same way a Shrockworks or ARB bumper attaches to the frame. Then reattach the stock bumper, to the factory bolt locations (with slightly longer bolts).

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Photog; 04-30-2007 at 01:47 PM.