03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Center Differential Lock - Mind of Its Own

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Center Differential Lock - Mind of Its Own

I have an 03 4Runner with 54,000 miles.

Today, when I started the car, the center differential had locked as evidenced by the center differential LED being lit. I had done nothing to make that happen. Prior to starting the car, it had not been driven on anything other than smooth roads.

I tried to get the differential unlocked by depressing the center differential button. However, all I would get was a flashing center differentiallight. Also the VSC LED was on.

I then drove the car a couple of miles with the center differential LED light on. Then I parked, turned the car off and depressed the center differential locking button a couple of times. Nothing worked. Still getting a flashing LED center differenial light.

Then I started to drive and after going about 10 feet, I heard a distinctive clunk, which I assume was the center differential unlocking. The light went off and now everything seems normal.

Does the car need service? Did I do any damage with the center differential locked? Any explanation for why this happened.

Thanks

John
Old 02-24-2007, 05:49 PM

dumb question here
when is the last time you had the diff fluids changed or checked?
I would check the fluid levels and then check the electrical connections
when was the last time you used the locking diff?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:56 PM

Shantz

Don't really appreciate being called dumb. I have raced a 911 for the last 10 years and do most of the work myself. My racecar does not have this kind of differential and I am out of my element with automatic transmissions.

So tell me, mr. intelligent, why low fluid would automatically lock a differential. I don't think it seized.

As for the last time I used it, the answer is never.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:58 PM

bro, I meant my question may be dumb not yours
no offense intended
Old 02-24-2007, 05:59 PM

check your fluid levels. even with low miles it may be fluid issue or more than likely electrical
Old 02-24-2007, 06:56 PM

had to take my to the stealership once for this. I hate the VSC bs and wish i had avoided it when buying a third gen
Old 02-25-2007, 04:44 AM

The manual says you're suppose to switch to the different modes periodically to keep the solenoids "lubricate". I forget the specific numbers, but it's like 10 miles a month in 4WD (if you have a V6, but seems you have a V8 from your post), every 6 months in 4LO etc. That may explain why yours took longer to switch to unlocked if you never use it, but I don't know why it would have been in that mode already. The button really isn't in a place that you would "accidentally" push it either.

When it was flashing, where you driving in a straight line or constantly making turns? I've noticed the 4Runner likes to be in a straight line when changing modes or it it takes longer to switch.

You're not suppose to have the center differential locked on smooth pavement, but if it was only a few miles without a lot of turns you should be ok.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by bauerjab
I have an 03 4Runner with 54,000 miles.

Today, when I started the car, the center differential had locked as evidenced by the center differential LED being lit. I had done nothing to make that happen. Prior to starting the car, it had not been driven on anything other than smooth roads.

I tried to get the differential unlocked by depressing the center differential button. However, all I would get was a flashing center differentiallight. Also the VSC LED was on.

I then drove the car a couple of miles with the center differential LED light on. Then I parked, turned the car off and depressed the center differential locking button a couple of times. Nothing worked. Still getting a flashing LED center differenial light.

Then I started to drive and after going about 10 feet, I heard a distinctive clunk, which I assume was the center differential unlocking. The light went off and now everything seems normal.

Does the car need service? Did I do any damage with the center differential locked? Any explanation for why this happened.

Thanks

John
Your vehicle comes with a 5 year/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty... Take it to the dealer.