03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th Generation 4Runner Transponder Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Generation 4Runner Transponder Key

I went to my Toyota dealership today and tried to get a new key made, but they told me that I need to have all my keys plus all my remotes in order to do it. The reason they told me I needed to have them all present is because when they reprogram the computer it erases everything and they have to reprogram all the existing keys back in. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but I have a Clifford car alarm with a remote start that requires one of the keys to be in starter bypass module in order to work. So in order to get a new key I have to pay the car alarm installer to remove the old key in this bypass module and then reinstall it. I was wondering if any of you have had additional keys made without having to bring all the other keys and remotes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

DOnt know if you are alredy on http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ but you might want to try there as well.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by kujayhawk
I went to my Toyota dealership today and tried to get a new key made, but they told me that I need to have all my keys plus all my remotes in order to do it. The reason they told me I needed to have them all present is because when they reprogram the computer it erases everything and they have to reprogram all the existing keys back in. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but I have a Clifford car alarm with a remote start that requires one of the keys to be in starter bypass module in order to work. So in order to get a new key I have to pay the car alarm installer to remove the old key in this bypass module and then reinstall it. I was wondering if any of you have had additional keys made without having to bring all the other keys and remotes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You had better find another dealer, the one you went to doesn't have a clue.
I had a fourth key made for my '03 while I was on a trip to Oklahoma, I live in NY, and they had no problem programing the key and two of my keys were in NY at the time. One point to remember, with the new system, you can only have four functioning keys for the vehicle at one time. The system is not capable of 'registering' more than four at once.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the help Techwrench and Bulldog. I thought something was wrong when he mentioned that I needed all the original keys and remotes. I'll definitely try another dealer in my area. By the way, how much did you pay for the key and the programming? The dealer wanted $90 yesterday.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by kujayhawk
Thanks for the help Techwrench and Bulldog. I thought something was wrong when he mentioned that I needed all the original keys and remotes. I'll definitely try another dealer in my area. By the way, how much did you pay for the key and the programming? The dealer wanted $90 yesterday.
If I remember correctly, it was about $56. for key, and $25. to program.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Dustin

bringing this thread back from the dead..
I just bought a transponder key for my '03 4runner from eBay (got it for $20). Took the key to the stealorship (who wants $45 for a key, and $65 to program it) to have it programmed. They said the key could not program it.. hmm...
I contacted the locksmith I got the key from, and got these instructions to program it- which are different than the ones I have seen listed on this and other boards. I havent tried them yet, but figured I'd post them up anyway..

70 TRANSPONDERS
On Board Programming Instructions “I”For 2002-2004 Toyota cars

The Toyota Electronic Control Module does not have programming modes without a pre-programmed key. If there is no key available that is already programmed into the module, the module must be replaced.
To delete all but one key from the unit:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert an existing master key into the ignition cylinder.Do not turn the key
from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within fifteen seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accel-erator pedal six times.
4. Within twenty seconds of completing the above step, depress and release
the brake pedal seven times.
5. The security light will flash, indicating all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within tenseconds. It will be the
only key still programmed to work.

Add Duplicate Key
Requires one working Toyota/Lexus Master Key.
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF five times.
4. Open and close the “driver side” door 6 times.
5. Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicates key.
6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON.
7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the
dashboard will go out, indicating that programming has been completed.

I am going to mess with this tonight and will post up on my results. But its possible that these instructions do work but my key is broken- as the dealor told me..

-Dustin
Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dustin
bringing this thread back from the dead..
I just bought a transponder key for my '03 4runner from eBay (got it for $20). Took the key to the stealorship (who wants $45 for a key, and $65 to program it) to have it programmed. They said the key could not program it.. hmm...
I contacted the locksmith I got the key from, and got these instructions to program it- which are different than the ones I have seen listed on this and other boards. I havent tried them yet, but figured I'd post them up anyway..

70 TRANSPONDERS
On Board Programming Instructions “I”For 2002-2004 Toyota cars

The Toyota Electronic Control Module does not have programming modes without a pre-programmed key. If there is no key available that is already programmed into the module, the module must be replaced.
To delete all but one key from the unit:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert an existing master key into the ignition cylinder.Do not turn the key
from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within fifteen seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accel-erator pedal six times.
4. Within twenty seconds of completing the above step, depress and release
the brake pedal seven times.
5. The security light will flash, indicating all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within tenseconds. It will be the
only key still programmed to work.

Add Duplicate Key
Requires one working Toyota/Lexus Master Key.
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF five times.
4. Open and close the “driver side” door 6 times.
5. Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicates key.
6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON.
7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the
dashboard will go out, indicating that programming has been completed.

I am going to mess with this tonight and will post up on my results. But its possible that these instructions do work but my key is broken- as the dealor told me..

-Dustin
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember other threads which mentioned that the '03 and up systems had to have an external programing device to add/delete key transponders. If the procedure you listed will in fact work, then if your up for a gamble, you could try using the remove all other keys procedure to cancel all your extra keys and then use the add a key procedure to add them back. You already know they work, so if they can be added back and the new one can't it would be a good bet it is bad.

Do you feel lucky????