03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th gen tire pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen tire pressure sensor

Has anyone actually tried removing all of their tire sensors to see if the stupid tire sensor light would actually come/stay on?

Heres the story.

So I got new tires... tire store broke 2 of the sensors... oops!

Had them replaced at the tire store, then went to the stealership and after 1.5 hours, they said oh by the way, you have to take all 5 tires off and get the 7 digit code off of each sensor. Back to the tire store, all 5 tires taken off and mounted and balanced on my new wheels while I am there.

Back to the stealership, 2 hours waiting...truck sits there for the first half hour. One of the original sensors is not registering, it is either malfunctioning or the tire store broke it. They say take it back to the tire store, we have a tire sensor in stock. Not sure if we will cover it with the warranty... depends on if it is damaged.

WTF happens if the tire store damages it when they take it off... Anyway I ask if there is any way to disable the system, remove light, whatever.

Stealership says... No way to disable it, it is linked with the VSC computer, no you can't take the light out it is an led on the dash circuit board, any fuses for it would be linked to multiple other items.

Any other suggestions? Already called Toyota with my complaint.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:45 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Okay, I'll jump in. Two answers:

"We recommend that you buy a tire pressure gauge and check them yourself," said Consumer Reports' Mark McEntee.
Check this out: http://mt.essortment.com/checktirepress_reot.htm

or, look at the top of this page where it says "Search", click on it and type "tire pressure sensor" You'll find the ritual weekly questions and discussions of this very topic.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Billf6531

The TPS ECU is mounted to a panel above the passenger's feet. Try unplugging it. One Phillips screw holds the panel in place.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

if the tire store broke it, the tire store must pay for it.... there is no excuse for idiot tire technicians
Old 11-05-2004, 05:32 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by jimabena74
if the tire store broke it, the tire store must pay for it.... there is no excuse for idiot tire technicians
Absolutely!

Yota-Reign - I wasn't ragging on you, I assure you I meant to be good natured about it. I was just "not" saying Do A Search.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:46 PM

Yes, I did do a search... this forum is extremely helpful but someone had mentioned in a thread that it might work to just remove them all.. I think someone else said that would not work... wondering if any one has actually tried that or not..

Yes the tire store paid for the sensors, no problems there. Just a PITA to have to waste my free time sitting around tire stores and dealerships.

The dealership actually warrantied the 3rd sensor today to keep a good relationship with me and the tire store.... Finally all of them are working and no more light.

If I have any future problems I will try Bill's suggestion. It would be nice to just disable it. Thanks!